Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:37 PM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times

Advertisements

I always laugh to myself when people who live in the North Hills area say that they live in North Raleigh. At one time they were, but to me it starts more around Millbrook now. Being north of Durant is so far from downtown that North Hills might as well be ITB. They definitely need to come up with a breakdown of North Raleigh. Maybe 440 to Millbrook between Capital and Glenwood should be Mid Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 09:51 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
^ Some folks have been trying to get North Hills called "Midtown" for a couple years now.
Eh, I dunno...many longtime residents, like myself, hear "Midtown" and think of Five Points, Anderson Heights, Woodcrest and other areas that are north of downtown, but below the beltline.
I guess just more to do with the boundaries continuously moving northwards. Raleigh needs to start expanding the southern boundary to re-align the center again.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:51 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I always laugh to myself when people who live in the North Hills area say that they live in North Raleigh. At one time they were, but to me it starts more around Millbrook now. Being north of Durant is so far from downtown that North Hills might as well be ITB. They definitely need to come up with a breakdown of North Raleigh. Maybe 440 to Millbrook between Capital and Glenwood should be Mid Raleigh?

Jayne, Jayne!
North Hills...ITB?
Well, now...I just don't see the ITB crowd accepting that dilution of exclusivity!!

Old 12-23-2006, 08:03 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
Well, now that North Hills is remodeled and upscale I think that it might actually meet the standards of the Hayes Barton crowd. Dare I say that some of them might actually even shop and eat there? Just not at Target.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Well, now that North Hills is remodeled and upscale I think that it might actually meet the standards of the Hayes Barton crowd. Dare I say that some of them might actually even shop and eat there? Just not at Target.
And preachers and teachers go out of town to buy booze...
But they don't claim kinship with the shopkeeper.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:07 PM

137 posts, read 606,987 times
Quote:
Now now, Target's not that bad. How about some perspective: Wal-Mart.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
The thing that's different about North Hills from other North Raleigh neighborhoods is that it blends seamlessly into an ITB neighborhood on it's South side. One can traverse between North Hills and Country Club Hills and hardly even notice the Beltline since they connect under it on a road without an interchange. Likewise but more obvious, Lassiter Mill/St. Mary's connect over it without an interchange. This allows the neighborhood to have a quick, almost unnoticeable transition from ITB to North Raleigh. It is evident, however, that the homes become a lot smaller and less prestigious immediately. But, since those homes are older and the lots are mature, it's not as an abrubt transition as one might expect. North Hills' further ties to ITB occured many years ago when the area was redistricted from Sanderson High School to its North to Broughton High School to its South. Now that North Hills shopping center has regained its prestige that was once long lost and new Midtown develpment by Kane spans both sides of I-440, North Hills is quickly becoming recognized as an established old Raleigh 'hood, regardless of its official location.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM

266 posts, read 1,052,183 times
Default I bought in North Hills...

in 1994 when I first moved here. I still own the house 'cause I liked it and thought it would be a good investment. (It was!) It is definitely distinct from the higher $$$ 'hoods it flows into under the beltline, however, it is ripe for teardowns. I have it up for rent now and get countless calls from investors wanting to buy it. I would for sure characterize this area as "Midtown" now. We even have our own magazine, for heaven's sake!
Although people in Northeast Raleigh and even Northwest Raleigh have wanted to be considered NORTH RALEIGH, the NE and NW designations are growing. I see those references more and more. I really like the North Wake County designation, Raleigh Rob, but bite your tongue on saying Five Points, etc could be Midtown. They are ITB and don't you forget it!

Last edited by House Lady; 02-05-2008 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
When researching prior to my relocation, I read about Midtown several times. I just couldn't find it. Then, everyone kept correcting me when I thought I was in one area and I was in another. (For example, Glenwood South instead of Five Points.) Then my coworker said she lived in North Raleigh but she wasn't that far from me. I wasn't in North Raleigh or at least, I don't think I was. I've finally given up. It's all Raleigh to me now. LOL

Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
North Raleigh: Everything north of Millbrook between Glenwood, Creedmore and Capital Blvd., up to and including Wakefield.

When I started my home search many years ago, I used to get totally peeved when a realtor would advertise a home as being located in "North Raleigh" and I found after calling about it that it was east of Capital Blvd. Some of them even tried to tell me that the Buffalo Road area was in "North Raleigh."

Anything east of Capital to me is a whole different world.

And in my opinion, the further one travels west of Capital and towards Glenwood, Creedmoor Road, if you're talking about between the beltlines (which is soon going to be prime real estate because not much land is left here), the nicer North Raleigh becomes.

best to all,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary