Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:23 AM

82 posts, read 271,986 times

Advertisements

I think the real problem with southeast Raleigh is that people cannot ask an honest question and get a honest answer in return. People get so defensive but ut is true. Resale is what counts. Location, Location, Location and i'm afraid southeast Realeigh does not fit the bill for a smart investment. Wake up people. Stop being so defensive. It doesnt take a genius to know that a wise investment is to have the crappiest house on the nicest block rather then the nicest house on the crappiest block. This is elementary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:23 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpaws02 View Post
I think the real problem with southeast Raleigh is that people cannot ask an honest question and get a honest answer in return. People get so defensive but ut is true. Resale is what counts. Location, Location, Location and i'm afraid southeast Realeigh does not fit the bill for a smart investment. Wake up people. Stop being so defensive. It doesnt take a genius to know that a wise investment is to have the crappiest house on the nicest block rather then the nicest house on the crappiest block. This is elementary.
Wrong!

I've flipped three homes in SE Raleigh, and one in Garner. I made a great profit from them all. SE Raleigh may not be the best market in the world, but it is certainly not a bad investment. Most of SE Raleigh is made up of thriving neighborhoods. You've been misinformed.

You are right though about one thing. Location is very important for resale, however SE Raleigh does not fit the bill for poor locals.

Considering the fact Southeast Raleigh is predominately African American. It's easier to take the route of bigots, and paint a whole entire town one color, based on whats seen in SE central Raleigh. Sad really.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:27 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Exclamation Rural, Suburban, Urban ..... describe land use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Most black people understand the term "urban", and find it very offensive.
I think there are some great areas in southeast raleigh, but when the discussion reaches the point where people are offended by the term "urban" I think the conversation has stopped being useful.

This thread is dead IMO.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,779 times
Southeast Raleigh has some areas that are not very comfortable to be. Not saying anything about race because I am a black man. It's just true because there are some areas that have a lot of drug activity day and night. The newer subdivisions are so far away from everything, but it's doesn't present too much of a problem if you own a car. Resale values in this part of town are not the best, however. The homes are never sold for what they would sell for if they were built in another area of Wake County. That's just fact, not opinion.

For the money, you get a great home and a majority of the subdivisions are nice.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:30 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh appraiser View Post
Southeast Raleigh has some areas that are not very comfortable to be. Not saying anything about race because I am a black man. It's just true because there are some areas that have a lot of drug activity day and night. The newer subdivisions are so far away from everything, but it's doesn't present too much of a problem if you own a car. Resale values in this part of town are not the best, however. The homes are never sold for what they would sell for if they were built in another area of Wake County. That's just fact, not opinion.

For the money, you get a great home and a majority of the subdivisions are nice.
Thank you, raleigh appraiser, for your post. I don't think anybody can really argue your valid points.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 PM

173 posts, read 939,086 times
My "two" Cents

If You Are Smart You Will Buy More Property In Southeast Raleigh. It Is Minutes From Downtown And Everyone Knows What Revitalization Means Right?

In The Long Run I Rather Be In The Southeast Corridor Than Cary Any Day.

Has Anyone Been To Harlem, New York In A While? Well I Grew Up There. I Left For About 4 Years And Brownstones Were About $217,000.00 When I Came Back They Were $980,000.00.

Any Guesses On What Happen?

For Years They Were Saying How Horrible Harlem, Ny Was And How The Crime Was So High And How The Schools Were So Bad. So People Moved Their Families To Upstate Ny And Jersey And Other Places Surrounding Nyc.

So With That Said I Dont Listen To Naysayers. Actually Whatever Naysayers Say I Always Do The Opposite.

Now I Do Know That Nyc And Raleigh Can Not Be Compared, But I Think I Have A Valid Point.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM

94 posts, read 315,394 times
"I think there are some great areas in southeast raleigh, but when the discussion reaches the point where people are offended by the term "urban" I think the conversation has stopped being useful.

This thread is dead IMO.

"

Ditto NRG! My thoughts exactly.

...What IS the Definition of IS...

Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 AM

3 posts, read 6,679 times
Default race

is crime high? is it a dangerous place to live or are there just black people there? i live in a predominately minority town in NJ but there is little crime, the median income is $65k, the graduation rate at the HS is 97%, college rate is 94%. The neighborhoods are beautiful, the people are nice, etc. would i be afraid to get out at the grocery store or the middle school?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 174,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktalktalk View Post
is crime high? is it a dangerous place to live or are there just black people there? i live in a predominately minority town in NJ but there is little crime, the median income is $65k, the graduation rate at the HS is 97%, college rate is 94%. The neighborhoods are beautiful, the people are nice, etc. would i be afraid to get out at the grocery store or the middle school?
As I said in my earlier post, crime in my area of SE Raleigh is not bad. I am not afraid to go out to shop or to school. I think the problem is that people think that where there are a lot of minorities, something has to be wrong and the neighborhoods can't be nice. Give me a break. Are there areas of SE Raleigh that are bad? Absolutely. But ask that question of any area and if you are honest, you get the same answer. There are pockets everywhere. I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of crime and I am not afraid. I won't rehash my comments because you have probably already read them above. My feelings have not changed. And yes we can resell and make a SWEET profit. The question I have is where to go when we decide to get a bigger house. Most subdivisions are cookie cutter where every house looks the same, the trees are all cut down, there are no sidewalks and you get no yard. The lots are so small that no one needs a lawn mower- a weed eater will do. I have no desire to live "on top of" my neighbor.

Bottom line--to each his own. I'll pass on the norm.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The same sanerio applies to Durham. For a very long time, Durham had quite a terrible reputation. Notice that since Southpoint has been built, the area around Southpoint has been growing tremendously. Also, notice that the area is looking neater, yards are being maintained and thus the perception is that the area in Durham around Southpoint is an "ok" area to live in.
You know, Vicki, many of the other areas in Durham, not just those around Southpoint, are "ok" to live in, too.

In my neighborhood, I know professors at all three major local universities; a writer for the Independent Weekly; senior university administrators; physicians; a retired investment banker; developers; attorneys; a City Council member; senior bank executives; stay at home parents; and realtors. And we're walking distance to downtown.

In fact, the appreciation in our MLS area was reputedly among the very highest in the entire Triangle a year or two ago. There are also several seven-figure new-construction and renovation projects taking place.

Many of these residents lived here long before Southpoint added a sense of sanitized safety to the perceptions of those who learn everything they need to now about Durham -- or SE Raleigh -- from sensationalist coverage of crime on WRAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary