Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 01:25 PM

329 posts, read 248,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
As a Christian, are you at all concerned about Gabbard's support for Syrian President Assad?
Not particularly. That entire region is backwards and I think we need to stop getting involved over there. They've been killing each other for millennia and I dont see any solution for it. I'd rather we pack up and just leave an intelligence network behind.

Israel is the only country over there I'm concerned with as a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 01:26 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
I used to be what was called a "Blue Dog Democrat" mixed with some populism, similar to my grandpa, but when I turned 17 I registered as an Independent.

I.e in the vein of JFK, FDR to some extent, Clinton (Bill) to a little extent.

Very Socially Conservative by today's standard with populist Economics. It's hard to describe as there are practically none left in the Dem Party. We've swapped to Rep or Ind for the most part. There's a few in the "Blue Dog Coalition", but they've kind of redefined that term nowadays to just mean moderate rather than what Blue Dig used to be.

Joe Manchin is kind of similar, like Webb, but they're both not socially conservative enough. However they're likely the closest "mainstream" thing to an old Blue Dog.
My Grandma is sounds very similar. However for some reason she continues to vote D even though the party has left her views long ago behind.

She grew-up the 6th child of a dirt poor farmer in Chester IL. As she says "I could never be a Republican, we weren't rich enough"

It is fascinating to see all the political labels change over time.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:31 PM

6,817 posts, read 9,023,653 times
Quote:
I used to be what was called a "Blue Dog Democrat" mixed with some populism, similar to my grandpa, but when I turned 17 I registered as an Independent.

I.e in the vein of JFK, FDR to some extent, Clinton (Bill) to a little extent.

Very Socially Conservative by today's standard with populist Economics. It's hard to describe as there are practically none left in the Dem Party. We've swapped to Rep or Ind for the most part. There's a few in the "Blue Dog Coalition", but they've kind of redefined that term nowadays to just mean moderate rather than what Blue Dig used to be.

Joe Manchin is kind of similar, like Webb, but they're both not socially conservative enough. However they're likely the closest "mainstream" thing to an old Blue Dog.

What does it mean to be socially conservative?

Old 08-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Who many are assuming will endorse DJT when she drops out of the race (given the Q stuff)
I expect that Q mess is a big joke. Somebody with lots of time is tricking gullible Trump supporters into following him.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I expect that Q mess is a big joke. Somebody with lots of time is tricking folks with small minds into following him.

Of course its a joke.

But that doesnt mean that scores of our fellow citizens haven't gone down that rabbit hole. And it isn't just "small minded" people. The viral video of the Medical Doctor last week speaks to that.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:38 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,175,923 times
To be fair, there aren't that many moderate Republicans left either. Most of them have also been voted out in favor of more extreme politicians.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
To be fair, there aren't that many moderate Republicans left either. Most of them have also been voted out in favor of more extreme politicians.

Correct. The Rockefeller Republicans are long gone.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
What does it mean to be socially conservative?
In everyday life it just means budgeting your money, men and women should dress modestly, no relations before marriage, yes sir/yes ma'am, hold the door open for women, preserving American culture. In politics it's the typical Christian positions.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:46 PM

6,817 posts, read 9,023,653 times
Quote:
In everyday life it just means budgeting your money, men and women should dress modestly, no relations before marriage, yes sir/yes ma'am, hold the door open for women, preserving American culture. In politics it's the typical Christian positions.
What does preserving American culture mean?

Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
What does preserving American culture mean?
It means when immigrants come they should assimilate, it means corporations shouldn't hire foreigners over US citizens, it means there shouldnt be a problem with the Betsy Ross flag for example, it means Americans should be given the chance to live the American dream rather than delivering massive tax cuts to bloated corporations that already hardly pay taxes.

I think we need to take steps to preserve our culture of hard work and self reliance and our history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary