Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 09:49 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,628,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Foul on the play. Minus 4 yards for hyperbolic generalization.
I assume you are talking about your post (#156) above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 09:54 AM

329 posts, read 248,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
WRAL is predicting 24 MPH winds overnight Thursday.
IF that is accurate, it is nearly a non-event.

NOAA is predicting a 30%--40% chance of sustained 39+ MPH winds. Shift the storm a few miles east and that drops, uh, precipitously.
We aren't going to be stupid about it, but we also aren't very concerned about our home and health unless there is a significant shift to the west.
You're discussing the "sustained" winds and not accounting for the gusts. I agree the sustained aren't bad. They are forecasting 20-something sustained winds, which as you point out is nothing, but they're also forecasting 50-60mph gusts, which is "blow debris around and topple weak trees" weather.

From WRAL:
"We're going to see rain well inland, most likely at least to Greensboro and Charlotte. We're going to see winds gusting up to 60mph with this storm on Thursday into Friday across parts of our viewing area."

For a comparison, I believe Michael last year had 60mph gusts around the triangle with 30ish sustained and he did some decent damage.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:00 AM

17,729 posts, read 15,430,891 times
So what exactly are y'all suggesting people *do* besides the obvious common sense things of having supplies on hand, water, non-perishable foodstuffs, gas in cars, etc, etc?

Apparently going on about one's life isn't it. So spill and provide details.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
So what exactly are y'all suggesting people *do* besides the obvious common sense things of having supplies on hand, water, non-perishable foodstuffs, gas in cars, etc, etc?

Why are you so bent out of shape about people discussing the storm? If you're not interested, then simply ignore the thread and move on. Simple.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 09-03-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 09-03-2019, 10:09 AM

27 posts, read 23,649 times
Maybe someone has already commented but I'm curious: what does it feel like for a hurricane to go over your head, as in, the change in atmospheric pressure? I hear dorian dropped to 915 milibars, but what does that mean and what is the effect of that on body? Does it give you a migraine?

Old 09-03-2019, 10:14 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 16 days ago)

43,160 posts, read 76,751,962 times
Quote:

Patio and deck furniture, trash cans, etc, secured so they don't become airborne missiles.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPtresmacaws View Post
Maybe someone has already commented but I'm curious: what does it feel like for a hurricane to go over your head, as in, the change in atmospheric pressure? I hear dorian dropped to 915 milibars, but what does that mean and what is the effect of that on body? Does it give you a migraine?
Hurricane Matthew passed directly over me 2 years ago and I didn't detect any effects from pressure change. I'm sure the pressure change associated with the storm happens too gradually to feel anything.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:19 AM

2,396 posts, read 2,650,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
You're discussing the "sustained" winds and not accounting for the gusts. I agree the sustained aren't bad. They are forecasting 20-something sustained winds, which as you point out is nothing, but they're also forecasting 50-60mph gusts, which is "blow debris around and topple weak trees" weather.

From WRAL:
"We're going to see rain well inland, most likely at least to Greensboro and Charlotte. We're going to see winds gusting up to 60mph with this storm on Thursday into Friday across parts of our viewing area."

For a comparison, I believe Michael last year had 60mph gusts around the triangle with 30ish sustained and he did some decent damage.
It is interesting WRAL's rain forecast varies so much from the Hurricane Center, which is showing a trace to no rain in places like Charlotte and Greensboro: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...inqpf#contents

Old 09-03-2019, 10:20 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,041,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPtresmacaws View Post

Hurricane Bob's eye went directly over the town my parents live in 1991, granted Bob was no Dorian.

Other than the bizarre calm of the eye and the cool visuals of looking up through a cloud tunnel in the sky, we didn't feel a thing pressure related wise.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:44 AM

329 posts, read 248,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
It is interesting WRAL's rain forecast varies so much from the Hurricane Center, which is showing a trace to no rain in places like Charlotte and Greensboro: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...inqpf#contents
Yes, I'm not sure why. Perhaps they have a more HD radar for the local area and can pick up nuances the NHC cant? Or maybe WRAL is focusing on a specific model vs NHC collection of models.

Last edited by Backwoods Baptist; 09-03-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary