Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 02:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
LOL. Aren't there too many Indians, far east Asians and white people there for him in that neighborhood?
yes, I'm sure he will be very happy west of highway 55 in Cary, and widely accepted by his neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 02:43 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Borderline? He used to do elaborate skits where he played Mexican characters with terrible accents and horrible stereotypes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
LOL. Aren't there too many Indians, far east Asians and liberal white people there for him in that neighborhood?
He was unenlightened but I never thought of him as being hateful.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:54 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
When my sister first moved here, over 10 years ago, she saw an altercation in a Target parking lot. She remembered it very clearly because of the actions of one of the people involved. The following Monday she was listening to his show and he recounted the incident - which he was involved in. And my sister said he was totally in the wrong, had instigated the entire thing, but made it out like he had been victimized. She didn't know it was him when she saw the incident but she put two and two together as she listened. I'm not entirely sure his on air antics were just a persona and I think that bled through loud and clear.

I was listening to 105 when we first moved here and after listening to him a few times with the kids in the car, I had to stop. And I'm not particularly strict about what my kids hear and see.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:43 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,813,797 times
I quit listening to G105 in the mornings after Madison left. I honestly prefer 96.1 now and Madison is the morning DJ on that station. Bob was a bully, a racist and seemed to get more and more outrageous over time. One morning, when I was on my way to work (after Madison left, must have been 20+ years ago) and they were waxing each other's nostril hairs, that wasn't the worst, they were chewing on it afterwards, or at least claiming to. That was the last time I listened to the morning show.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:47 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
I listened to G105 20-25 years ago when he was partnered with Madison. The news reader headed over to Channel 8 in Greensboro. Madison is on 96.1 in the mornings now. Until the new morning team has been around for a while on G105, I'll think of it as another feed Bob's ego stunt to bring in the listeners.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:18 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
Good riddance to Bob. He should have never been hired in the first place.
Seems like everyone shares my sentiment - that he was racist, sexist, annoying, etc etc.
G105 station itself sucks, seems like the repeatedly play the same playlist of 10 songs over and over again.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb115

Old 09-05-2019, 06:17 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Good riddance to Bob. He should have never been hired in the first place.
Seems like everyone shares my sentiment - that he was racist, sexist, annoying, etc etc.
G105 station itself sucks, seems like the repeatedly play the same playlist of 10 songs over and over again.
Not everyone shares your sentiment.

While I won't deny that the earlier years of his tenure were typical of the trash radio Stern wannabees, since the brain tumor, Bob Dumas's on-air personality has softened significantly. In the last several years, he has battled some additional issues, including aphasia, which made it difficult to listen to day in and day out.

I don't know the man, but I don't believe he's like that in real life. On-air personalities are no different than actors on a screen; they deliver entertainment (however the ratings dictate the definition of "entertainment") for a living. It's a JOB. If they paid me good money to be an ***hole for 4 hours/day, I'd be right there collecting the checks.

We do agree on one point, that G105, along with every other IHEARTRADIO station, plays the same rotation ad nauseum. That's the nature of corporate-owned mainstream radio.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Not everyone shares your sentiment.

While I won't deny that the earlier years of his tenure were typical of the trash radio Stern wannabees, since the brain tumor, Bob Dumas's on-air personality has softened significantly. In the last several years, he has battled some additional issues, including aphasia, which made it difficult to listen to day in and day out.

I don't know the man, but I don't believe he's like that in real life. On-air personalities are no different than actors on a screen; they deliver entertainment (however the ratings dictate the definition of "entertainment") for a living. It's a JOB. If they paid me good money to be an ***hole for 4 hours/day, I'd be right there collecting the checks.

We do agree on one point, that G105, along with every other IHEARTRADIO station, plays the same rotation ad nauseum. That's the nature of corporate-owned mainstream radio.

Well, that's the downside of being a public personality, isn't it? We don't really know if he's really like that or not. So the main assumption that everyone in the Triangle has is that he is a racist, or a borderline one, or at least discriminatory, or someone who thinks it's okay to make stupid, racial/gender/ethnicity jokes on a public radio station.

So whether he's like that in real life or not, nobody cares. Everyone looks at him as he talks on the radio.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:44 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Y'all have just straight up destroyed the man and don't even know him. Judge much? Wow.... just wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary