Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 09:39 PM

186 posts, read 327,666 times

Advertisements

Before repack: got CBS17 but not WTVD11.
After repack: opposite.
No problems getting WRAL, RAZ or WUNC before or after.
Me and my ‘mudflap’ are in the middle of the Containment Area.

What a mess. How about ditching all this digital junk and go back to good ‘ol analog that worked for 50 years and you actually knew what channel was on what frequency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 06:40 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,241,928 times
Scanned again and still don't have 11 or 17. But I do have 2 from Greensboro so I can watch CBS national from there. Weird a station from 50-60 miles away comes in great, but one 25-ish miles doesn't. I guess 2 is UHF and not VHF.

And now have 50.3 Dabl. It shows old lifestyles shows like Martha Stewart Living and Emeril.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:42 PM

4,241 posts, read 4,663,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
What a mess. How about ditching all this digital junk and go back to good ‘ol analog that worked for 50 years and you actually knew what channel was on what frequency.
I agree that things aren't working as seamlessly as they should be. But I don't believe anyone wants a return to NTSC (720×576 at best, usually not that good), and the broadcasters certainly don't want to lose the secondary streams.

What caused the repack and rescan in the first place is demand for mobile phones. First the broadcast TV industry lost channels 70-83, then 52-69, and now 38-51. All that spectrum was handed to AT&T, Verizon, etc -- who paid big money for the privilege. If mobile phones had never happened, broadcast TV might have remained analog. The disruption would have still come, however, in a different form. Remaining on analog would have been certain death for broadcast TV stations. Streaming would surely have run them out of business.

Cable TV abandoned analog too. I used to be able to flick through NTSC channels rapidly. Now there's a delay while the digital system starts my stream and the TV decodes it. The price of progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I guess 2 is UHF and not VHF.
I believe WFMY is now on physical channel 35, UHF.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:42 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,528,063 times
Able to get CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox OTA after re-scan. Total of 23 DTV air channels

Screen porch TV, antenna sitting on deck, about 4 ft. above ground

Antenna's rabbit ears are extended about 24-in & each at about 45 degrees from vertical.
Antenna: https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Amplified.../dp/B000HKGK9I

Old 09-16-2019, 03:57 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,265,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Able to get CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox OTA after re-scan. Total of 23 DTV air channels

Screen porch TV, antenna sitting on deck, about 4 ft. above ground

Antenna's rabbit ears are extended about 24-in & each at about 45 degrees from vertical.
Antenna: https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Amplified.../dp/B000HKGK9I
The amplified rabbit ears are crucial for VHF reception of WNCN and WTVD. The flat panel is for UHF channels. There is a newer version of this RCA antenna sold at Best Buy. But for superior results consider Antop 400BV or Antop 800SBS. Or Clearstream 2MAX or 4MAX.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:44 PM

821 posts, read 1,454,820 times
I rescanned and can get recognition of the PBS stations, but no signal. I'm not even sure how that happens...I did have to scan twice to get the NBC signals.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 AM

11,194 posts, read 8,231,007 times
2 tvs, each scanned once:

32 and 38 channels each. 17 is scanned on both, but not reliable reception. I might rescan, but then I have to delete all the channels I never watch again.

Location: South Cary, near Parkway and Old Apex Road (Lake Pine area)

Old 09-17-2019, 12:48 PM

634 posts, read 908,151 times
Here's hoping that the station engineers turn their transmitters up to eleven while they're stuck with the aux antennas ...

I'm 8 miles from the Auburn tower farm and 34 miles from the PBS Chapel Hill tower. I only care about the "big four" networks and even then, watch them very rarely.

Before the recent first round repack, I was receiving all four stations well via a generic amplified flap indoors (approx. 15 feet off the ground) with sometimes a little pixelation during storms.

After, the flap was useless with 2 stations barely receivable, sunny skies. I replaced it with the huge, hideous, tombstone-like Antop 800SBS. Now I get ABC, CBS, and NBC - not a signal peep from PBS.

Last edited by ncdust; 09-17-2019 at 01:20 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM

4,241 posts, read 4,663,191 times
WUNC-TV's pattern is not aimed at Raleigh. For this reason they have an auxiliary transmitter in Garner with a pattern that is aimed at Raleigh, but I think it's only 15 KW ERP. If your TV tells you its virtual-physical channel mapping, see what it says for physical 19.

If one's path to Garner is blocked -- for example, if someone lives on the north slope of a deep ravine in northern Wake County -- UHF is what it is, and ERP can accomplish only so much. But at just 8 miles you ought to be good, unless you're behind a steel plate.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:47 PM

634 posts, read 908,151 times
The terrain is such that, if there were no trees I'd bet I'd be able to see the tops of the Auburn towers. It does surprise me that the flap worked so well, considering. I don't get anything on physical channel 19, as far as I can tell - the TV doesn't have any signal troubleshooting, signal strength indicators, etc.

For PBS (WUNC) you mean the Raleigh translator, correct? Was it 30 (UHF) before, or now? I must be looking at the wrong info - peanut whistle strength (.5KW) at ~500 HAAT?

I'd bet I could fix the signal issues with an outdoor antenna, but again I so rarely watch TV that's it's just not worth the added expense at this time.

Last edited by ncdust; 09-17-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary