Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 34,855 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good practice in the triangle area offering homeopathic or alternative treatments for allergies?? Prescription and over the counter meds just don't work for me, and I've got to find a better way to treat my severe pollen allergies so I can get out and enjoy the beautiful spring weather!

I have never posted on this before but I have found lots of useful info over the past few months as I moved to Raleigh-- thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I have taken my daughter (who is 6) to see Quinn Takai, Acupuncture & Holistic Health Associates - Home (http://holistichealthmed.com/home - broken link) at holistic health medicine in north raleigh. He does chinese medicine, accupressure and acupuncture. He met with us for 2 hours and asked a lot of questions to determine what her issues were (allergy related) and he has done accupuncture on her.

It is worth a try, as I have seen a difference in her.

Leigh

Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
Have you previously seen an actual Allergist or allergy clinic rather than a general practice physician for prescriptions over allergies?

I would highly recommend that as not only do they feel more comfortable prescribing multiple allergy medications that work in different ways, but over time they can pinpoint exactly what is causing your allergies and do what needs to be done with the proper drops or shots to mediate how your body responds to those allergens.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 PM

94 posts, read 315,394 times
Default Local Hunny for sure!

We will be moving from Cali to Raleigh shortly. After 18 years in California my husband and I have developed a healthy thriving allergy to the pollens caused by our booming "bloomin'" flower industry! Best remedy this far for sneezy, puffy, itchy, wheezy ah and sneezy-ness is LOCAL HUNNY. It carries all the anti bodies to counteract the symptoms. If you can find it in Raleigh let me know as it's one of the first things I'll be looking for.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:39 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,324 times
i put local honey in my children's water in the spring. it seems to really help with allergies, and it makes sense. again, obviously it has to be locally grown honey so that you're getting the local pollen.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Have you tried Hyland's?
Hyland's Homeopathic - Seasonal Allergy Relief

homeopathic remedy. Friends of mine swear by it. My allergies haven't gotten so bad yet this season that I need to treat them, but I'm keeping it in mind.

Also, have you tried a Neti pot?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:10 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,536 times
Ditto on the Neti pot and Hyland's homeopathy products. They are available at Whole Foods + Weaver St in Carrboro.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:05 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedmont View Post
Ditto on the Neti pot and Hyland's homeopathy products. They are available at Whole Foods + Weaver St in Carrboro.
I've been using the Neilmed sinus rinse version since a sinus surgery years ago. Similar to a neti pot, but you squeeze the bottle with gentle pressure instead of a simple pour. It includes a bunch of saline type packets too (or they can be bought separately for use with a neti pot). I would say using this or a neti pot takes a little get used to, but I find that it helps clean the sinuses well and is an aid to any homeopathic remedies taken internally (since, even with clean sinuses, an allegen entering the sinuses will affect anyone adversely).

Old 04-20-2008, 05:30 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Another ditto on the Neti pot.

For those of you not in the know concerning the Neti...

Amazon.com: Himalayan Institute Original Neti Pot: Health & Personal Care

Old 04-20-2008, 01:36 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyns.Nest View Post
It carries all the anti bodies to counteract the symptoms. If you can find it in Raleigh let me know as it's one of the first things I'll be looking for.
You do have to be careful with honey, especially with very young children. For the same reasons that you're not suppose to give honey or seafood to very small children without fully developed immune systems. Many people are allergic to these things because it's not actual antibodies that are in the honey, it's the allergens and eating it allows you body to break them down and produce effective antibodies. So if you're very allergic to pollen and environmental allergens, local honey is a great idea. But start in small doses just incase you're somebody that's very allergic to the honey itself or somebody that doesn't have a fully functioning immune system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary