U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 09:27 AM

771 posts, read 274,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Hopefully, all would agree that a 150-day sentence for sexual impropriety with a sub-16 year old (or pick your age) is NOT enough.

I would. It should be 20 times as long.

Quote:
The records don't show that ICE is going around rounding up folks that haven't committed any offenses beyond illegal entry/stay (except visa overstayers).
I'll disagree here. ICE's own report from back in Q1 of this year showed that 36.5% of their arrests were undocumented persons with no criminal record; which is an all time high for that stat. Under the previous admin; just as a means of comparison, that figure was 18%.

Quote:
I believe the issue as regards ICE/criminals may boil down to - is the local government authority actually checking their legal status and entering it into ANY database?

Does anyone think it's right to expect the local authorities to enter immigration status for arrested or convicted criminals, so that Federal authorities have the ability to effectively or efficiently identify them, and schedule their removal?

Either way - it's a POLITICAL question, not a RDC/Triangle question.
I have no idea what local LE does or doesn't enter. But I would assume that given arrests and convictions are a matter of public record, ICE could easily tap into state/city arrest/conviction data and cross reference names with people on their list. You wouldn't even need a "Check Yes/No for Illegal Status" Box.

Waiting to act, and knowing that many local jurisdictions have stated they won't do ICE's work for them (in so many words) is really a failure on their part.

Agree with your latter point as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 10:45 AM

10,625 posts, read 7,763,837 times
https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/ic...forcement-data

here's the 2nd quarter report. When I found the 1st quarter report, it was 33.7%.

if you follow the link, ICE Q2 was 9%. CBP was almost 50%, but that means they're catching them at the border.

they don 't provide a breakdown between border violations and visa overstays that I found.

And how does ICE know the names of all the illegals unless there's some database? Someone sneaks in, undetected. ICE has no idea they're even here.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:19 AM

771 posts, read 274,570 times
Quote:
https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/ic...forcement-data

here's the 2nd quarter report. When I found the 1st quarter report, it was 33.7%.

if you follow the link, ICE Q2 was 9%. CBP was almost 50%, but that means they're catching them at the border.

they don 't provide a breakdown between border violations and visa overstays that I found.

And how does ICE know the names of all the illegals unless there's some database? Someone sneaks in, undetected. ICE has no idea they're even here.
Here is the source for the number I provided.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rd/3232476002/

Quote:
According to data released Thursday, that percentage fell to 63.5 percent in December, the lowest monthly figure since ICE started categorizing arrests in 2012. That means 36.5 percent of the arrests were simply undocumented with no criminal history.
My bad. I thought they were referencing the Q1 report given the date of the article. Seems like they were referencing the Q42018 report.

So it seems like it fell from 36.5 in Q42018 to 33.7% to end Q12019

As for your question about ICE and how they could know. They wouldn't know all of them. But I don't think the idea that they know many is really that shocking. I mean how many videos have been released and gone viral of plain clothed ICE Agents showing up at a lunch and grabbing a family member, or in an elevator in a hotel...or the planned covert sweeps that mayors/city managers tweet out as a means to undercut ICE....

They may not know everyone, but they don't seem to have issues finding them.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:13 PM

1,280 posts, read 887,699 times
Fortunately, we have have laws about keeping people locked up after their time has been served. We (including undocumented immigrants) have constitutional rights. As far as leniency in sentencing goes, then you need to look at the judicial system and not your local LE officials. What ICE is asking of our local LE officials is illegal and outside the bounds of their jurisdiction.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:06 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,894,034 times
I would think the Sheriff cooperates in specific cases with ICE, but it sounds like from the news report that the ICE folks didn't do anything about this guy until Wake was going to release him. If you ask me this is probably more about how ICE wanted Wake county to hold this guy on their dime instead of the federal gov't dime. He sounds like a bad person, but Wake probably releases tons of bad people from custody all the time because well it's how the system works regardless of your citizenship status.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:

I would think they check the records we keep on the citizen of the US when they are either born or are naturalized. If that person isn't on that list then well there are some questions that need to be answered right? I am also fairly certain their are other sovereign nations with records of their citizens that we have access too as well.

Last edited by zinner; 09-30-2019 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 AM

2,632 posts, read 2,853,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I would think they check the records we keep on the citizen of the US when they are either born or are naturalized.
There's no national database of birth certificates. Just getting a birth certificate can be a laborious process; many of them are stored on microfilm and haven't been digitized.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
There's no national database of birth certificates. Just getting a birth certificate can be a laborious process; many of them are stored on microfilm and haven't been digitized.

So when we check I9's at work it's just a fools errand?

Old 10-02-2019, 08:55 AM

2,632 posts, read 2,853,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
So when we check I9's at work it's just a fools errand?
Ultimately the documents required for an I-9 are dependent on a physical birth certificate. The root-level items are a passport and a Social Security card, and it's difficult to get either one without a birth certificate. But getting a certified copy of a birth certificate on paper is not the same as querying a database.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:43 PM

9 posts, read 1,967 times
Quote:
since it's still open - there are people that are OK with the local sheriff or other municipal policing authority not cooperating with federal immigration - even if it's a violent criminal or sex offender.

and there are people who are not OK with that.

I have a pretty good feeling I know which group is larger.
Honestly, these days it’s hard to tell which group is larger! Should we not all support law enforcement to actually enforce the law (even if they don’t agree with it!?) isn’t that sort of like being a vigilante, working outside the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary