U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 05:20 PM

773 posts, read 274,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmostlikely View Post
Honestly, these days it’s hard to tell which group is larger! Should we not all support law enforcement to actually enforce the law (even if they don’t agree with it!?) isn’t that sort of like being a vigilante, working outside the law?

Ya...but...State's Rights.

Having Town/City/County/State LE enforcing Federal Law (which most, but not all, Immigration Laws are) is an interesting slope to go down.

Beyond Employment, licensing and benefit claims, I don't believe most states even have anything to do with immigration statuses/checks. There is no such thing as a "Visa" at the state level a person's Visa is granted at the Federal level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 06:50 PM

4,919 posts, read 6,903,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Ya...but...State's Rights.

Having Town/City/County/State LE enforcing Federal Law (which most, but not all, Immigration Laws are) is an interesting slope to go down.

Beyond Employment, licensing and benefit claims, I don't believe most states even have anything to do with immigration statuses/checks. There is no such thing as a "Visa" at the state level a person's Visa is granted at the Federal level.
In this case the guy had a warrant for his arrest. Its not like it was the first time he ran into law enforcement since they knew who he was.

Otherwise, I agree with what you said though.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
In this case the guy had a warrant for his arrest. Its not like it was the first time he ran into law enforcement since they knew who he was.

Otherwise, I agree with what you said though.
Oh I have no issue with the prosecution of this man for his crimes other than the penalty for sexual battery on a minor is waaaaaaaaaay too lenient.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:22 PM

618 posts, read 358,223 times
Let's just impeach everyone that we dislike or disagree with. Seems like many people have a fundamental misunderstanding of the purposes of impeachment and would like to see it used as a tool in ways that it was not intended to be used.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:53 AM

10,625 posts, read 7,763,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I would think they check the records we keep on the citizen of the US when they are either born or are naturalized. If that person isn't on that list then well there are some questions that need to be answered right? I am also fairly certain their are other sovereign nations with records of their citizens that we have access too as well.
in a federal court ruling the other day, a judge decided that ICE cannot rely on "flawed databases" to identify actual/potential illegal immigrants.

I don't have any problem with local LEO not proactively contacting the Feds. Simply put, it's not their job to do the Feds job. If they don't want to use that 287g detainer system, fine.

I do think it's reasonable as a county, state, and nation to expect cooperation. Someone arrested for DWI or violent crime (not driving without registration, as an example), we should be able to determine their status and enter it into a database.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:15 PM

677 posts, read 499,524 times
How come none of the anger is ever directed at the local businesses and companies that hire and exploit illegal immigrants? The sex offender and others, wouldn't be staying here in the first place, if they couldn't make money.

Like this story:

https://www.wral.com/dump-truck-oper...eath/16540296/

Dump truck company (based out of Apex) hires illegal immigrants, and one of them operates a runaway truck, which goes on to kill a child.

The root of all illegal immigration are the businesses which cheat, and hire illegal labor. Simple as that. Bashing all immigrants and others, doesn't get to the root of the problem

Old 10-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
How come none of the anger is ever directed at the local businesses and companies that hire and exploit illegal immigrants? The sex offender and others, wouldn't be staying here in the first place, if they couldn't make money.

Like this story:

Dump truck company hires illegal immigrants, and one of them operates a runaway truck, which goes on to kill a child.

The root of all illegal immigration are the businesses which cheat, and hire illegal labor. Simple as that. Bashing all immigrants and others, doesn't get to the root of the problem
I agree completely with your position, but that aspect of the equation has been completely obfuscated by the barons of industry and their megaphones in the media.

Businesses and their owners, regardless of what they say in public, want undocumented employees in industries where it makes sense, for the same reason that my dad's employer made shoes all over Asia - its good for the bottom line.

When your economic model defines "freedom" as a measure of profit, a business (and its shareholders and customers) are more free when there is more profit.

Lowering your operational costs by hiring people you can pay less than market rate, forcing the rest of your economy to subsidize the costs you have chosen to not take on yourself in making this decision, is trumpeted as moar freedom thus moar gooder.

Critical analysis is a skill that largely has been beat back over the last 40 years in this country so connecting the dots becomes a tougher thing to do without the tools in hand to do it. With that effort largely successful, you can then find yourself in a situation like we live in today. The current administration has made combating illegal immigration as its key issue; the wall, acting on the family separation policy etc. However, his personal business only started using E-verify in May of this year.*

* I don't bring this point up to attack the current admin or their policy agenda, this isn't the place for that. I am bringing it up merely as an example of a Business entity whose figure head claims to be against something while at the same time, their actions running counter to that; which financially benefits the Business entity by increasing profit which leads to moar freedom.

EDIT TO ADD - Another good related example, although from fiction, of this is the Court Room scene from New Jack City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPy2pZU52Pg

Last edited by GVoR; 10-03-2019 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-03-2019, 12:53 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post

Like this story:

Dump truck company (based out of Apex) hires illegal immigrants, and one of them operates a runaway truck, which goes on to kill a child.

Because it's easier to convince the "less educated" that the illegal immigrants and maybe even the legal immigrants are stealing jobs from us Americans. Didn't Trump say he likes the "poorly educated?"

Blaming the "admin and higher-up" people who hire illegals and not hire Americans doesn't quite have the same pull in elections and this ridiculous political world we live in now.

These people in rural areas have absolutely no idea what Trump and the conservatives are doing to them. But hey, it's their strategy to get voters. It's sad that these rural and poor voters are eventually choosing options that will be no good to them in the future.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:55 PM

That's a relatively separate issue from a violent criminal and how they're handled upon arrest and conviction.

But I don't think people disagree with requiring employers to generally vet their employees. The shortcomings of E-verify are things I'm unfamiliar with, but apparently it is a flawed database. Perhaps the biggest flaw is the ability of the illegal to obtain fraudulent documents.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:01 PM

https://immigrationforum.org/article...heet-e-verify/

interesting stuff. E-Verify is optional for all but Federal employers/contractors.

So just as local LEO or state governments refuse to cooperate with ICE, the Feds can't compel them to use E-Verify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary