U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 10:46 AM

195 posts, read 324,072 times

Advertisements

Ignoring the standard pointless anger and vitriol from certain member(s) I would like to weigh in on Cam. My view of Cam is complex and nuanced. Two very different sides of the same coin.

Pros - Talented athlete, able to do a lot of things other QBs have never been able to do. When he is on, he is on. His 2015 year and the stats he compiled equate to one of the QB years in history . He is a huge proponent of local kids. Has been known to show up at random birthday parties with zero entourage and/or cameras. Does a lot of local charity work. Seems to be liked by his teammates and you don't hear of any off the field problems/drama. Family guy and seems to really be actively involved in his children's daily lives.

Cons - The wear and tear on his body is showing, and his talent is fading. Creates this persona (crazy clothes, outlandish appearances, etc.) that distracts from the team element and fosters a 'look at me' mentality. Very moody on the field, and the team always flows based on his attitude. If he has a bad start to a game he puts the towel over his head and pouts and you can always see the wind sucked out of the rest of the team. Real leaders and captains don't do this. Look at Brady, Brees, Wilson, and even some of the younger guys (Watson, Mahomes, Jackson) for examples of the opposite. In his past you also have stolen laptop, kicked out of Florida, and he whole pay to play issue.

For context, I grew up a Bengals fan, but jumped on the Panthers from their first year. Have maybe only missed watching 10 games total in their nearly 25 year history. I think Cam served a great purpose for the team for years, but I think injuries, ego, and a lack of interest has caught up to him. Not sure who the next star will be, but I think it is time to move on from Cam before we waste the prime years of CMC and Luke as well as the last few years for Olsen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 11:49 AM

955 posts, read 406,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
I think Cam served a great purpose for the team for years, but I think injuries, ego, and a lack of interest has caught up to him. Not sure who the next star will be, but I think it is time to move on from Cam before we waste the prime years of CMC and Luke as well as the last few years for Olsen.
I tend to agree at this point, although it will be interesting to see how he plays if/when he comes back this year, as well as how K. Allen continues to play. Cam's current contract actually expires after next season; I doubt the team will be offering him a long term extension, and if they don't, he may test the waters elsewhere. If Cam can return to something like his 2015 form, the Panthers will have a tough decision to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary