U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 07:07 PM

10,578 posts, read 5,539,934 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about it, but there's a new community that I believe is still under construction across Kildaire from Wake Med. I think it's called Templeton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 12:05 AM

15,456 posts, read 19,663,686 times
Thanks everyone. You've given us a great place to start.

While we have neighbors and friends that have already done their research and made their selections, I can't help but feel like it's when somebody buys a new car - NOBODY is gonna say oops.

I sincerely appreciate the all your replies. Thank you.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:14 PM

595 posts, read 466,734 times
I'm 64 and I've looked at:

The Forest at Duke
Carol Woods
Galloway Ridge

None of them operate on an owner or partial-ownership model. The entry fees are high and there is a gradually diminishing refund policy. Of those three, I liked The Forest at Duke best, perhaps because I live in Durham and would want to be close to where I am now.

Carol Woods gets good reviews for the food, but it felt a bit "woo-woo" to me. It is also very close to I-40 so there is a fair amount of road noise.

Galloway Ridge was very nice and you can take advantage of everything at Fearrington too -- but you are away from everything.

Carolina Meadows seems to be a popular choice. I haven't seen that yet.

Osher Learning at Duke offers a class that explains the various CCRC models and takes you around to tour the various communities, but it is nearly impossible to get into because it is so popular.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:58 AM

34,290 posts, read 59,604,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks everyone. You've given us a great place to start.

While we have neighbors and friends that have already done their research and made their selections, I can't help but feel like it's when somebody buys a new car - NOBODY is gonna say oops.

I sincerely appreciate the all your replies. Thank you.
You'd only pick a place with proper pool tables, right?

Kudos to all who have offered good advice. It will help a ton of CD Lurkers, too, I bet!

Old 10-01-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You'd only pick a place with proper pool tables, right?

Kudos to all who have offered good advice. It will help a ton of CD Lurkers, too, I bet!
LOL! Impressive memory, Mike! Sadly, in the 7 years we've been here, he never really found a group of good afternoon pool players. Gambling a few bucks in a game? Fuhgeddaboudit.

That, the stupid liquor laws, and the humidity are the ONLY things that have been disappointing about living here. We do intend to look at CCRC'S in other states, especially those with zero/very low state income tax.

Yes, this will be a valuable thread, and I thank everyone for their help. I'll try to remember to update it as we look around.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:16 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,937,852 times
We looked at places for my parents and all agreed that Searstone was the best option. However by the time we decided to have them make the move from California my mother's dementia had really progressed so we decided to keep her in her home with around the clock care. So I would recommend looking at Searstone. It has everything from independent care to memory care should you or your loved one ever need it.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:12 PM

8 posts, read 1,939 times
I have a family member at Galloway Ridge. She's been there for several years now and as far as I know, she has no complaints. Except that the food tastes bland. She's very involved in many activities and has made a lot of friends. I visit frequently and both staff and residents seem very nice.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:08 AM

30,196 posts, read 35,444,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
We looked at places for my parents and all agreed that Searstone was the best option. However by the time we decided to have them make the move from California my mother's dementia had really progressed so we decided to keep her in her home with around the clock care. So I would recommend looking at Searstone. It has everything from independent care to memory care should you or your loved one ever need it.
We visited and liked Sesrstone and considered getting on their list. In the round robin discussion with their CFO he raised some long term financing questions. More related to our heirs getting the buy in back.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We visited and liked Sesrstone and considered getting on their list. In the round robin discussion with their CFO he raised some long term financing questions. More related to our heirs getting the buy in back.
Details, please?

Old 10-20-2019, 12:04 PM

30,196 posts, read 35,444,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Details, please?
They are/were financing with renewable long term bonds. I think 40 year duration. At the time they were planning to refinance in a few years at expected still low interest rates. That’s wonderful. They are still developing. I asked what the plan was if rates were way higher in forty years when the notes came due and they had to pay up. He responded what do you care you will be dead, which is true.
The problem to me is that I might pass in 25 years and when it came time to sell my unit a future buyer might well balk at low cost debt being due in 15 years and refinancing being a lot more. Doesn’t effect me but could my heirs in getting the buy in money back and a unit needing to be sold.

One of the reasons monthly pay as you go is becoming more popular. You aren’t marrying their long term debt obligations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary