U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 10:19 AM

15,456 posts, read 19,663,686 times

Advertisements

We've just started to look into these as an alternative in the future. (DH is 76, I am 63.) I'm interested in getting some suggestions about which one's to visit.

(Note I am NOT talking about assisted living facilities. We are looking at campuses that offer a continuum of aging care needs—from independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing care can all be met within the community.)

We have no preferences on area - no family and are fully aware that when one moves, friends tend to fade away. In fact, we will be looking at other states as well, but decided to start here if only to get On the years-long waiting list just in case. But being out in the boonies isn't acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 10:49 AM

397 posts, read 159,738 times
Explore Glenaire in Cary, a suburb of Raleigh. I understand there is currently a long waiting time but things can change. Glenaire

Old 09-28-2019, 11:04 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,469,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Explore Glenaire in Cary, a suburb of Raleigh. I understand there is currently a long waiting time but things can change. Glenaire
I would second Genaire and they are bit different from others in that their nursing home also participates with Medicare and Medicaid.

Searstone is another CCRC but all payments in their nursing home are private.

Both of these are in populated areas of Cary. Glenaire is off of Kildaire farm road near downtown and shopping. Searstone is at the intersection of High House and Davis Drive with shopping and restaurants surrounding.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:41 AM

4,978 posts, read 2,019,560 times
https://carolinameadows.org/

Old 09-28-2019, 03:06 PM

10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times
My mom was at Carolina Meadows in Chapel Hill/Chatham County at Governor's Club and it is very good. They have on site health care clinic for independent living folks, but, of course, you can keep your same doctor too. The campus is very nice with a golf course, tennis, indoor pool, etc. Lots of activities on campus and organized outings off campus, too.

Carol Woods in Chapel Hill is also very good. Lots of retired UNC professors there.

The Cedars in Chapel Hill/Meadowmont is pretty swanky and nice, too.

There's also Galloway Ridge at Fearrington, which also seems good, but I don't have much personal experience with it.

Croasdaile in Durham is pretty good and is on a fee for service model if I recall correctly. They do take Medicare and Medicaid, or did at the time we were looking. They are affiliated with the Methodist Church I believe.

Before you sign up check the different payment models. They vary.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:46 PM

75 posts, read 71,072 times
I was the primary person who researched CCRC's when my in-laws decided to move here 8 years ago. I don't know that much has changed, but there are likely some new places. (Ex., Searstone hadn't opened yet when we were doing our research.)

My in-laws didn't want to even consider the type of places that required you to buy/own your apartment. A lifelong, very good friend of theirs has lived at The Cedars for decades and they knew it was an ownership model, so I didn't even look at it on their behalf. If the financial model is an important criterion for you, you may want to start with that.

We visited many of the places already mentioned and also visited The Forest at Duke in Durham (I believe a fair number of retired Duke professors live there.) One of the differences we noted was that at The Forest (remember, this was 8 years ago), they required you to be assessed as being able to live independently (best guess, of course) for 3 years, in order to be offered a spot. The other places we visited required an expected 2 years of independent living.

I have some fairly detailed impressions I could share about what appeared to be their priorities, wait list times, some pros and cons, etc. if you want to PM me. FWIW, we ended up focusing on The Forest at Duke, Glenaire and Galloway Ridge.

You are wise to start early. Most places have a policy that allows you to make a deposit to hold your spot in line without receiving phone calls every time an apartment opens up, instead, waiting until you're ready to receive those calls. Some of the more in-demand places can take years to get into.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:49 PM
DPK

3,664 posts, read 3,998,903 times
Glenaire and Searstone are about to undergo expansions so availability might be better in the future as far as waitlisting goes.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:16 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,019,560 times
"Some of the more in-demand places can take years to get into."
Carolina Meadows was an 8 year waiting list, but they say it
usually moves faster than that.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:23 PM

It really depends on situations at the CCRC and with the individual. My mom got in Carolina Meadows pretty quickly (less than a year).

Old 09-28-2019, 05:30 PM

I will say I really really really loved the care that my mom got at Carolina Meadows and really appreciated the CCRC model. She did end up needing the different levels of assistance and it was so so very nice that she didn't have to do a whole big move to a new facility. It was just a slide over to a different building on campus and she was able to keep the same doctor (who was wonderful) and the same social worker and other folks. Everyone — bar none — from the doctors, nurses, physical therapists, CNAs, social workers, food service workers, groundskeepers, on down seemed delighted to work there. It was a big contrast to the nursing home in Fayetteville where my dad had been and where there were a lot of unhappy employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary