Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 07:39 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
But they are not using flat plates and this will mean they are taken out of use much faster.
That's interesting because it seems like more states are going to the flat plate and away from the old fashioned embossed one (I prefer the embossed ones). I know both Arizona and South Carolina use the flat license plates now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 07:43 AM

401 posts, read 528,365 times
I could not believe this when I saw it yesterday. Absolutely not needed. I have had the same license plate for almost 19 years and it looks as good as new because I take care of it. And the 85-year-old who lives next to me and keeps his car in his garage, who maybe drives 20 miles a month - also doesn't need a new plate every 7 years. There is no reason for this law. If LEO sees a vehicle with a plate that is not in good enough shape to read - pull them over and give them a notification to get a new plate - end of story. Why create laws just for the sake of it when one size does not fit all? It should have not been signed by the Gov and the person who came up with it should be voted out.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:39 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I could not believe this when I saw it yesterday. Absolutely not needed. I have had the same license plate for almost 19 years and it looks as good as new because I take care of it. And the 85-year-old who lives next to me and keeps his car in his garage, who maybe drives 20 miles a month - also doesn't need a new plate every 7 years. There is no reason for this law. If LEO sees a vehicle with a plate that is not in good enough shape to read - pull them over and give them a notification to get a new plate - end of story. Why create laws just for the sake of it when one size does not fit all? It should have not been signed by the Gov and the person who came up with it should be voted out.
It won’t cost you anything...plus the new plates will be more visible at night. That’s a good thing especially for law enforcement

Old 09-29-2019, 10:08 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"...and the person who came up with it should be voted out."
Phil Shepard started it, but there were changes to his original bill.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:36 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
I wouldn't be surprised if most people complaining about having to get new plates every 7 years do not even keep their cars for that long.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:46 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if most people complaining about having to get new plates every 7 years do not even keep their cars for that long.
I assume most transfer their plates? Which also costs money.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:20 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
So I had to look it up, but it seems that 19 states and D.C. now issue plates where the numbers/letters are screened on:

AZ, ID, MT, WY, ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX, MN, IA, IN, TN, AL, GA, SC, DE, NJ and D.C.

There are 7 states where most license serials are embossed, but some are screened:

WA, OR, CO, MO, MS, OH, and NY

There are 23 states where the license serial is embossed:

AK, HI, CA, NV, UT, NM, AR, LA, WI, IL, MI, KY, FL, NC, VA, WV, MD, PA, CT, RI, MA, NH, and ME

And one state, Vermont, where the license serial is debossed or sunken.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:26 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Yeah, I don't think I've ever kept a plate for anywhere near 7 years.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:27 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I assume most transfer their plates? Which also costs money.
Same cost for renewal, new plate or transfer. Therefore, no "money grab".

Old 09-29-2019, 01:27 PM

466 posts, read 700,568 times
Florida requires this every 10 years and I imagine other states do as well.

I think NC had some sort of rule in the past as my father had to change his license plate after 16+ years? He had transferred it least once.

No big deal as long as I don't have to wait in a line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary