U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2019, 06:45 PM
 
1,722 posts, read 2,894,340 times
Reputation: 1113

Advertisements

Ok so I have family in NY and the issue up there was when they switched to these new plates as well. The scoop was the company that made these new cheaper plates was going to get a big chunk of change from the gov't coffers (money grab by some gov't officials friend). The company got the deal and all the plates they made where garbage and peelings and fading. I haven't noticed that here in NC, but could be salt/climate related. Anyhow they are all having to get new plates up in NY as well.


In my opinion the gov't took a process that was well established and tried to save some money, by privatizing the process or maybe changing to a cheaper private contractor (grabbing the saved money for themselves, presumably for swanky gov't retreats to a fancy resort in ashville) and then give us citizens screen painted plates, because why would be care anyhow right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2019, 06:48 PM
 
919 posts, read 384,592 times
Reputation: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Ok so I have family in NY and the issue up there was when they switched to these new plates as well. The scoop was the company that made these new cheaper plates was going to get a big chunk of change from the gov't coffers (money grab by some gov't officials friend). The company got the deal and all the plates they made where garbage and peelings and fading. I haven't noticed that here in NC, but could be salt/climate related. Anyhow they are all having to get new plates up in NY as well.


In my opinion the gov't took a process that was well established and tried to save some money, by privatizing the process or maybe changing to a cheaper private contractor (grabbing the saved money for themselves, presumably for swanky gov't retreats to a fancy resort in ashville) and then give us citizens screen painted plates, because why would be care anyhow right?
Why is this on an NC board? It should be on a NY board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 AM
 
Location: NC
7,447 posts, read 5,194,367 times
Reputation: 8191
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That's a giant money grab and nothing else. Unbelievable.
I have "heard" that there is no additional cost to the licensee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 06:17 PM
 
919 posts, read 384,592 times
Reputation: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I have "heard" that there is no additional cost to the licensee.
You heard correctly. The entire "money grab" argument is preposterous and untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 07:17 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,171 posts, read 2,192,371 times
Reputation: 6502
Along with the tag/tax/inspection together protocol, regular license renewals, not to mention the "real" ID that's been pushed and pushed, remembering when the 7 years is up will be yet one more thing to keep up with. Hopefully, there will be some sort of reminder to alert people when this is due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 07:39 PM
 
98 posts, read 36,914 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Along with the tag/tax/inspection together protocol, regular license renewals, not to mention the "real" ID that's been pushed and pushed, remembering when the 7 years is up will be yet one more thing to keep up with. Hopefully, there will be some sort of reminder to alert people when this is due.
The DMV will keep track of how old the plate is and automatically issue a new one when you renew your registration.

Florida used to replace them every 5 years, then they changed it to 10. At around 8 years the clear coat and paint on my plate started pealing off. I’m sure they probably last a little longer in Northern/inland environments. But I think it’s mainly that the reflective paint they started using breaks down quicker in the elements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 08:20 PM
 
4,978 posts, read 2,024,140 times
Reputation: 9764
we all know that within seven years, the surveillance technology
will improve enough to be cost effective for "imbedded" plates.
a roadside "price scanner" could keep count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 PM
 
98 posts, read 36,914 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
we all know that within seven years, the surveillance technology
will improve enough to be cost effective for "imbedded" plates.
a roadside "price scanner" could keep count.
Yes, won’t be long now. It was part of the bill.

“STUDY DIGITAL LICENSE PLATES
SECTION 7. The Joint Legislative Transportation Oversight Committee shall study
the feasibility of making digital license plates available to the public as an alternative to traditional physical registration plates currently issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles. The Committee shall report its findings, together with any recommended legislation, to the 2020 Regular Session of the 2019 General Assembly.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top