U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 AM

857 posts, read 3,165,295 times

Advertisements

My husband likes to fish and ended up in Pullen Park. He most likely was fishing in some other place and decided to stop in there as he typically fishes at other places. He didn't see any signage telling him that he couldn't do it. However, someone ran up to him and told him that he'd better stop and that police would be called soon. He asked about why, noted lack of signage, and was told it was a "city ordinance". He left immediately. He attempted to look this up online and didn't come up with anything specific enough to draw a conclusion.

He was curious if someone has a link to this ordinance so that he will have some specific knowledge about where he can and can't fish in Wake County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,067,623 times
It's a small pond with lots of people pedal boating - I can see why they wouldn't allow fishing. To be honest it seems like a strange place to pick to go fishing.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 AM

3,170 posts, read 4,226,614 times
Raleigh Municpal Code Sec. 9-5003 prohibits bank fishing at any city-controlled lakes with the exception of Simpkins Pond at Lake Wheeler. They did, however, start allowing it at the new Forest Ridge Park on Falls Lake last year.

https://library.municode.com/nc/rale..._S9-5003GEFIRE
https://www.raleighnc.gov/parks/news...geFishing.html

Old 10-01-2019, 08:50 AM

620 posts, read 698,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
My husband likes to fish and ended up in Pullen Park. He most likely was fishing in some other place and decided to stop in there as he typically fishes at other places. He didn't see any signage telling him that he couldn't do it. However, someone ran up to him and told him that he'd better stop and that police would be called soon. He asked about why, noted lack of signage, and was told it was a "city ordinance". He left immediately. He attempted to look this up online and didn't come up with anything specific enough to draw a conclusion.

He was curious if someone has a link to this ordinance so that he will have some specific knowledge about where he can and can't fish in Wake County?
I would just pick a better place. Centennial campus is right down the street and has a dock for fishing. Another is Lake Johnson. I hope he's fishing for fun because I would not eat what was caught in local lakes.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:08 AM

2,035 posts, read 2,069,486 times
As recommended above, try Forest Ridge Park. Lots of places to bank fish all around Falls Lake.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:41 PM

10,659 posts, read 7,769,391 times
I can't imagine there's anything worth catching in Pullen. Carp?

Old 10-01-2019, 05:24 PM

1,628 posts, read 2,221,656 times
OMG, not being critical but fishing the pond at Pullen Park is not fishing but catching. Those poor fish are domesticated and rely on humans throwing food in. Think of them as pets. Even on a huge lake like Lake Gaston we have areas where restaurant guest buy and throw feed to HUGE cat fish and carp right at the dock. A person could easily sit there and catch a 20-30 lb fish there but that is NOT fishing. Like others have suggested there are many great areas to FISH �� and not catch some child's favorite Nemo

Old 10-01-2019, 08:16 PM

730 posts, read 277,514 times
The term “shooting fish in a barrel” comes to mind at places like Pullen. They are almost domestic pets. Not just fish but also the turtles (including the snappers). Lake Johnson is a good place to drop a line, as are areas like Falls Lake. You can also drop at Lassiter Mill. Sadly, I wouldn’t eat anything pulled from there, but it can be fun catch and release.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:57 AM

857 posts, read 3,165,295 times
LOL, shooting fish in a barrel.

He's a better fisherman than that. It was like an opportunistic thing with him. I think he was just in the area and decided to bring his rods out of the van. Thanks SF Spiderman for the link.

I also appreciate names of alternative places to fish. I'll pass them along to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary