U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 10:06 AM

4,740 posts, read 3,147,073 times

Advertisements

It looks like the driver went off the road hitting the woman and the trash can but agreed, there's no reason to be going more than 25 mph in a residential neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 10:23 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,441,024 times
Castalia Dr. probably has a dozen intersections between High House & Maynard. Perhaps each intersection should have Stop Signs for all directions?

That's what Bridle Creek residents requested & got in Preston.

Crabtree Crossing and Hogans Valley residents wanted speed bumps and got them.

Trappers Run, Cedar Creek Residents need to band together and get stuff done.

Why? Cary PD Traffic Division doesn't have resources to sit on every street with radar.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:40 AM
DPK

3,664 posts, read 4,000,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
If you look at the pic in the story, it doesn't look like the can was in the street. It looks to me like it was in the grassy area between the sidewalk & the street.
I mean that trashcan is also utterly destroyed and trash was all over the street in one photo so assuming where it is now to where it was when it was hit is probably not valid.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 AM

7,953 posts, read 9,022,754 times
16 yr old kid

Newly licensed since that's the minimum age

Probably distracted

Speeding

Recipe for disaster

I've been thinking that 16 is too young to be licensed to drive a vehicle and 18 should be the minimum age; this latest tragedy adds to that sentiment. But, truthfully, some people really shouldn't be behind of the wheel of a car until they're past 25, if ever.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:26 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,067,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
16 yr old kid

Newly licensed since that's the minimum age

Probably distracted

Speeding

Recipe for disaster

I've been thinking that 16 is too young to be licensed to drive a vehicle and 18 should be the minimum age; this latest tragedy adds to that sentiment. But, truthfully, some people really shouldn't be behind of the wheel of a car until they're past 25, if ever.
Adults are just as bad if not worse.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:30 AM

444 posts, read 381,108 times
To be fair, I have seen a lot of 40,50 and 60 year olds driving around on phones too. NOBODY should be driving around holding a phone to their ear or texting.

Feel awful for the victim and her family.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM

4,086 posts, read 2,797,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Adults are just as bad if not worse.
Correct.

I can empathize with the the teen driver; as it appears many posters on here can. This was a terrible and tragic incident for them as well.

The week before I graduated from Apex High a fellow student, who I knew, was in a terrible wreck at the intersection of 64 and Laura Duncan. He wasn't injured at all but a single mother in the other car was killed. He still struggles with the impact of it over 12 years later.

I would admittedly feel less empathy if it were an adult driver who should know better by now.

I see people speeding on my street (which is a large circle with no outlet!) on the regular...including past the school bus stop. I may or may not have once thrown a bag of dog poop at a car (which landed nowhere near it) that was easily going 35 mph at 8:30 when there were kids walking to the bus stop and I was walking the pup.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:03 PM

874 posts, read 612,963 times
What an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. I agree that residential speeding limits should be lowered. I live on a cut through street that many people speed down. A couple of years ago, several residents petitioned to have the speed bumps removed because they felt it would impede ambulances driving to emergencies. Thank goodness it didn't pass. We need to add more traffic calming on cut through streets to prevent this.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:19 PM

17,360 posts, read 26,685,459 times
Quite a bit of damage to that car. He was moving at a good clip. Also possible he panicked and hit the gas instead of brake as young drivers often do. So many bad drivers around here and they pass it on to their kids. If this is how this kid drives his parents should not have let him behind the wheel. I told my kids - N.C. May give you a license but I decide if you drive.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:26 PM

7,953 posts, read 9,022,754 times
Quote:
I would admittedly feel less empathy if it were an adult driver who should know better by now.
IMO, anyone who gets behind the wheel of a vehicle and drives should "know better" before they are licensed and legally able to drive and have a lot of practice and be closely monitored to make sure they develop and practice those behaviors. I don't care if they're 16 or 26 or 46 or 66, anyone who speeds and/or is distracted while driving increases the risk of injury or death to others. This was the perfect case in point.

This was preventable -- it was entirely due to the actions of one person: the driver, actions that prove this particular individual was not able or willing to drive conforming to safety rules (like speed limits and keeping eyes on the road).

Driving is a privilege, not a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or