U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 03:38 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,439,913 times

Advertisements

Maybe when the cool weather comes in, somebody sits on sidewalk in a lawn chair and points a hair dryer at traffic.

Concealed carry might be a good idea, though--if you take any video of folks hitting brakes, squealing tires, etc.

https://youtu.be/r9ufd_1_8zI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 03:41 PM

331 posts, read 511,213 times
Sad story all around. Victim's family has likely lost a mother and wife and that kid will have to live with this for a long, long time. Because they are underage, I figure legal ramifications won't be nearly what they should be for killing another human.

I like to scoot on the highways and major roads but absolutely in neighborhoods and school zones drive the posted speed if not even slower. I think it's disrespectful for the people living there (not to mention dangerous) to zoom on by.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:46 PM

4,740 posts, read 3,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I know you're knowledgeable in the area so I won't disagree. But aren't there very severe penalties in NC if you're caught a certain level above the speed limit? Wouldn't that deter people I'd the limits were lower?
well that's why I tacked on "assuming the continuation of the lack of enforcement in this area of any traffic violations" haha

Even if the penalties were more severe, if nobody is having to face them, then nobody will continue to care

Old 10-01-2019, 04:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So many bad drivers around here and they pass it on to their kids.
^This, but really, people pass it on to each other, the lax-ness of others spreads. There is a stop sign near me that few people either stop, signal for turning, or both.

I am convinced that drivers share a responsibility to set examples for other drivers. At the risk of sounding self-righteous I strive to drive as I want others to do. I also curse a lot.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:20 AM

261 posts, read 268,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Not a fan of that option since it lowers visibility for kids playing in driveways and running into the street after a ball or while playing tag.
Completely agree. It was a temporary/drastic solution to get the town's attention. It worked. They got the humps.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:38 AM

7,953 posts, read 9,020,588 times
Right after a tragic incident like this is probably the best time for a community to go to the city council and ask for speed bumps and/or stop signs or whatever. Doing this while the horror is fresh in the town's mind and it's in the news might be the leverage needed.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:55 AM

772 posts, read 274,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Right after a tragic incident like this is probably the best time for a community to go to the city council and ask for speed bumps and/or stop signs or whatever. Doing this while the horror is fresh in the town's mind and it's in the news might be the leverage needed.

I hope you folks in Cary have better luck than we did here in Heritage WF.

The corner we live at is treated like a drag strip by many drivers; even though there are kids everywhere.

A few neighbors met with town officials and the Police to see what could be done to address it. They said they needed to "do a study".

A teen driver flipped their Jeep on the other side of Heritage, killing a passenger and the town was immediately ready to talk.

They refused to put in speed bumps, even though the original part of Heritage (North of Rodgers Rd) and the Marshall Farms portion south of Rodgers has them, because they claimed Ambulances can't get over them....so they put in a stop sign, which ~7/10 drivers simply ignore anyway.

Sadly it is going to take a kid getting smoked or a car getting T-Boned turning onto the main artery (which a Wake Co. Sheriff vehicle almost did while I was in my front yard; to which I pulled the Nelson Muntz "point and laugh" at the Deputy) by a car blowing through the stop sign for things to change.

As for the story here, tragic to say the least. So sad for everyone involved. My best friend from my 3 years in MA as a elementary aged kid, flipped his Jeep Cherokee on 95 when he was 20 and killed his two best friends. He volunteered to start his sentence even before his trial because of the soul shattering grief he had. Trial completed years later and he was credited with the time he already spent in prison which pissed his two friends families off something fierce....they wanted a pound of flesh.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:24 AM

319 posts, read 136,305 times
I've been noticing that cops drive just as bad as the rest of the bad drivers. It didnt used to be so bad, but it's at the point now where people at a 4 way stop have no idea how to properly give right of way.

Ontop of drivers not knowing proper right of way, you have folks that pull out in front of you slow, and zombie drivers addicted to their phones. They block intersections in traffic too. Bunch of morons. I had two people pass me on a double yellow line because i was going 38 in a 35 and that wasn't fast enough for them.

Wish I was a cop...

Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 AM

7,953 posts, read 9,020,588 times
I want a bumper sticker that conveys the message to tailgators: "You pay my ticket? If no, back off!"

Old 10-02-2019, 12:41 PM

20 posts, read 5,783 times
edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
I've been noticing that cops drive just as bad as the rest of the bad drivers.

I'm calling out Apex PD on this one. I've seen officers drifting into oncoming traffic, buzzing cyclists..........and I don't even drive in Apex that much.

Back on topic.

Very sad what happened to the lady and her family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or