U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2019, 08:59 PM
DPK
 
3,664 posts, read 3,998,903 times
Reputation: 4509

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I disagree.

Speeding through a neighborhood has little to do with how a road is configured (such as width) and everything to do with a complete lack of respect and common decency.

People who speed through neighborhoods are nothing more than d’bags.
Nah man that's ridiculous. Road configuration definitely has a factor in how people drive. Road width, hills, angles, if there are medians, etc can cause people to do all kinds of crazy **** when they drive.

I'm not saying it's right for people to do it, but if you don't think any environmental facts have anything to do with any kind of wreckless driving, that's silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2019, 07:16 AM
 
773 posts, read 274,570 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Nah man that's ridiculous. Road configuration definitely has a factor in how people drive. Road width, hills, angles, if there are medians, etc can cause people to do all kinds of crazy **** when they drive.

I'm not saying it's right for people to do it, but if you don't think any environmental facts have anything to do with any kind of wreckless driving, that's silly.
It really isn't and nor am I arguing for environmental factors not impacting how someone does.

Yes, 100%, there is a psychological effect that a wider roads can be driven faster down than a narrow road; it certainly helps explain why someone would be doing 70 down the highway and then slow down when they reach a section where temporary dividers have been put out, causing the lane to feel narrower; which the lane actually isn't. you've just simply lost the 4 foot wide shoulder.

My point was never to deny that road structure/environment doesn't psychologically have an impact; it does, as I told pierre "all things being equal, a person would drive down 401 faster than Rogers Rd".

However there is a lot more cognitively to driving than a psychological effect and if there isn't for someone, then something else is to blame.

What you guys are arguing for is basically a driver pulls onto any road and goes "derrrr, wide road, can go fast" without any thought process of where they are actually driving. That's the equivalent of saying "I didn't need a new pair of Nikes and I didn't have the money for them, but damn was the commercial effective...so I bought em". It's all psychology right?

If the explanation is that "primal"; that people can't apply thought and reason to the act of driving, then people shouldn't be driving. Driving is a fairly dangerous activity which requires constant adjustments and checking of one's surroundings. It isn't like other forms of transport which have way more control systems to mitigate chances of an accident.

We're supposed to be the greatest species on this planet because we can reason and react to information, not merely on an instinct.

If a driver pulls off Roger Rd (a main road near my house, speed limit is 45) onto Marshall Farm St (the road that starts my neighborhood) here is what they would see.

1. Rogers was a single lane each way, double wide road
2. Marshall Farm is a single lane each way, double wide road (perhaps slightly narrower than Rogers, but close enough that it seems almost the same width)

In short, that simply the mere fact that the roads are nearly equal in width explains why people would drive the same speed down them. People won't take into account that one in a main artery through Wake Forest while the other is a road within a neighborhood. That one should expect more sudden obstacles on one rather than the other. And further, if we just made Marshall Farm narrower than Rogers Rd (and did nothing else), people would slow down. Then how does that theory apply to Golden Star St; a side street next to Marshall Farm, which is narrower than Marshall Farm, yet people still bomb down it?

We live in an extremely apathetic, entitled society where people think someone else is always to blame. Why wouldn't that, in some part, apply to their driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 12:41 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
474 posts, read 273,686 times
Reputation: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I disagree.

Speeding through a neighborhood has little to do with how a road is configured (such as width) and everything to do with a complete lack of respect and common decency.

People who speed through neighborhoods are nothing more than d’bags.
Of course it does.

Quote:
...states and counties almost always apply a 12-foot [lane width] standard....Why do they do this? Because they believe that wider lanes are safer. And in this belief, they are dead wrong. Or, to be more accurate, they are wrong, and thousands of Americans are dead.

https://www.citylab.com/design/2014/...ed-now/381117/
Quote:
Wider lanes and shoulders encourage faster driving, according to a new study published in the Journal of Transportation Engineering. Researchers from Texas A&M studied uncongested freeways in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. Based on more than 650,000 observations, they found that drivers travel 2.2 mph faster, on average, in 12-foot lanes than in comparable 11-foot lanes.

https://www.ssti.us/2016/10/more-evi...rage-speeding/
Quote:
Roads with the widest lanes — 12 feet or wider — were associated with greater crash rates and higher impact speeds.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2015/05/...ore-dangerous/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 12:42 PM
 
773 posts, read 274,570 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Of course it does.

See previous novel further flushing out my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
4,740 posts, read 3,145,823 times
Reputation: 3235
I don't think that anybody is saying that the street width itself will eliminate all speeding. Of course it won't - some people are going to do whatever they wanna do. But the design of the road can definitely reduce occurrences of speeding or at least bring average speeds down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:21 PM
 
773 posts, read 274,570 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I don't think that anybody is saying that the street width itself will eliminate all speeding. Of course it won't - some people are going to do whatever they wanna do. But the design of the road can definitely reduce occurrences of speeding or at least bring average speeds down.

The quote that started this sidebar was...



Quote:
....Narrowing the roads will do more to quell speeding than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
4,740 posts, read 3,145,823 times
Reputation: 3235
I think quell is a very strong word, but it does have a significant impact. With the growth that is still occurring in the area, we have a strong opportunity to get the design of our residential roads right before we're locked into them for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
3,168 posts, read 4,225,566 times
Reputation: 3368
The driver has been arrested and charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, careless and reckless driving and failure to maintain lane control.

https://townofcary.org/Home/Componen...News/15030/715
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 01:59 PM
 
430 posts, read 985,334 times
Reputation: 576
Max 150 days in jail???? What a cruel joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 02:07 PM
 
773 posts, read 274,570 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
Max 150 days in jail???? What a cruel joke.

Blows my mind.


6 months in jail for actions that led to someone dying......wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top