U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 07:55 AM

444 posts, read 381,064 times

Advertisements

SUV hits, kills Cary woman putting out trash
http://wr.al/1GK91

Awful My thoughts are with her family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 08:03 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,065,431 times
Terrible story.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I think the speed limit in Cary should be no more than 35 except on freeways, 55, 64, etc.

Not that it would have prevented this incident (speed limit was 25) but everyone seems to think they have the right to go 10-20mph over the speed limit, which is way unsafe on most roads.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:34 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
People use that road to cut through from Maynard and High House. Very irresponsible to be driving like that in a neighborhood that you are using to cut through. One of the problems of building neighborhoods near busy intersections.

Agree with lower speed limits and strict enforcement. Apparently, everyone here gets mad at slow drivers but this is not the highway. People are making left turns, turning onto roads, turn into houses, stores, etc. The area is too busy for you to think you can easily go 10mph over the speed limit and everyone has to accustom to your habits.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:05 AM

308 posts, read 193,985 times
So sad. Only a block away from me. Don't know the facts but sounds more like distracted driving. Never understood why they built subdivisions without sidewalks. It was much nicer when city workers picked up trash from yard rather than sitting cans in street.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:10 AM

10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times
I feel really sorry for both families. That is so terrible for the young driver too to have to live with that for the rest of their life. Makes me want to go put a note on the windshield of a college student driver I saw zooming through my neighborhood yesterday. (It is really not a good neighborhood to speed in, no sidewalks, lots of dog walkers, cars parked on street, etc.)

Old 10-01-2019, 09:11 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,225,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcrasher View Post
So sad. Only a block away from me. Don't know the facts but sounds more like distracted driving. Never understood why they built subdivisions without sidewalks. It was much nicer when city workers picked up trash from yard rather than sitting cans in street.
There is a sidewalk there, and cans aren't supposed to be in the street.

Not saying it's her fault obviously...agree it was probably a combination of speeding/distracted driving. Definitely a very popular cut-through there.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:12 AM

2,569 posts, read 868,559 times
I'll take a fast driver over a distracted driver any day of the week. The problem is, we have both.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:39 AM

57 posts, read 51,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
People use that road to cut through from Maynard and High House. Very irresponsible to be driving like that in a neighborhood that you are using to cut through. One of the problems of building neighborhoods near busy intersections.

Agree with lower speed limits and strict enforcement. Apparently, everyone here gets mad at slow drivers but this is not the highway. People are making left turns, turning onto roads, turn into houses, stores, etc. The area is too busy for you to think you can easily go 10mph over the speed limit and everyone has to accustom to your habits.

This area was 'built' almost 40 years ago when this was by no means a busy intersection so blaming that is absurd. This is a WIDE residential road with a speed limit of 25 and a sidewalk on the side the pedestrian was hit. This isn't people going fast on areas of Maynard/Harrison etc where the speed limit is 45.

Speed was probably an issue insofar that the driver was likely exceeding the more than reasonable posted speed limit.

And likely the major issue was distracted driving. Which I continue to see every day. All that other stuff is secondary. Stay off your phones while you drive, it is that easy.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:42 AM

2,969 posts, read 5,129,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
There is a sidewalk there, and cans aren't supposed to be in the street.
If you look at the pic in the story, it doesn't look like the can was in the street. It looks to me like it was in the grassy area between the sidewalk & the street.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:44 AM

2,969 posts, read 5,129,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
One of the problems of building neighborhoods near busy intersections.
Seriously? That neighborhood has been there a lot longer than the heavy traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or