U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 08:02 PM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times

Advertisements

They love sheetz - my DH was hit up twice in one week at Sheetz with this scam. That was a few years ago I guess it is making the rounds again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 09:37 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
We've talked about giving money to panhandlers before on here and there were differing opinions. But more and more people should NOT give out cash to anyone doing this kind of stuff - including those people who hold out signs at red lights saying they are veterans who fought for our country. Most of them go and use the cash on alcohol or other substances or other useless "items." Many of them are not even veterans!

Give food or water if you want. Otherwise, Wake Co spends alot of money on rehabilitation services, including medical and mental health.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 19,668,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
What does the color of the man's skin have to do with anything?
Physical description.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:03 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,844,986 times
I’m a firm believer in the old saying...
Ass, gas or grass... nobody rides for free!

Old 10-03-2019, 11:32 AM

1,280 posts, read 887,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Physical description.
It was a story, why would we need a physical description?

Old 10-03-2019, 12:00 PM

2,569 posts, read 868,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
For the third time in a week, I’ve been approached at a gas station pump with roughly the same plaintive pitch... “excuse me sir, I’ve just realized that my (choose one: purse, credit card, wallet) has been stolen/forgotten/lost, and I just need enough gas to get home (which always seems to be about 30 miles away). Their car is sitting at a pump nearby. The car is often a newer model, and they’re typically decently attired - which seems to play into the rise that they’re otherwise normal, decent people who’ve just had an unfortunate episode for which they need a small bit of temporary aid (like $5 of gas - which doesn’t even require cash, and instead, just a debit card). In one instance, the person was driving a newer Cadillac. In the most recent occurrence, the person was driving a Mercedes, and it happened at the Sheetz at RDU.

Prior to this past week, I’ve run into this scheme maybe once or twice over the last few years. But for it to happen 3 times in the past week seems like this trend has really caught on. Just curious if anyone else has encountered this recently.
Nope, and if they ask I don't carry cash. Usually, that's the end of it. If they really do seem to be on hard luck and take the offer of some gas, I'll walk in and swipe my card at the register. I'm not swiping at the pump they likely outfitted with a skimmer.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:27 PM

2,680 posts, read 3,151,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I’m a firm believer in the old saying...
Ass, gas or grass... nobody rides for free!

The 115lb 16 year-old me had that t-shirt in 1978. But, it was gas, grass or ass...in that order.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:25 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,844,986 times
Thank you for the correction. From 1976 to 1982
my life was nothing but drugs and alcohol so I’m
lucky to remember much of anything from that time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
The 115lb 16 year-old me had that t-shirt in 1978. But, it was gas, grass or ass...in that order.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:36 PM

1,010 posts, read 953,173 times
Sheetz on Ten Ten Rd so far seems to be fine, never been approached by anyone in all the years going there.

Years ago I paid for gas for one young lady but she seemed genuinely embarrassed and distressed to me and also offered to send money back. These days when everyone has a cell phone, even if I lost a wallet and was down to a last drop of gas, I would’ve called someone I know. If I forgot/lost both phone and wallet (unlikely) then would probably go to the clerk for help instead of random people. These stories don’t even make any sense.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:32 AM

122 posts, read 50,068 times
There are apps like venmo that you can get cash instantly sent to you from your friends. Tell the next stranger begging for money at a gas station because they ran out they should contact a friend and ask them to venmo them some money. If they don't have their phone they should borrow somebody's phone. If they want to borrow your phone you'll have access to their bank account LOL so it's almost white turning the tables on the scammer. not that you would do anything inappropriate with their bank account but it's just ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or