U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:47 AM

674 posts, read 581,929 times

Advertisements

For the third time in a week, I’ve been approached at a gas station pump with roughly the same plaintive pitch... “excuse me sir, I’ve just realized that my (choose one: purse, credit card, wallet) has been stolen/forgotten/lost, and I just need enough gas to get home (which always seems to be about 30 miles away). Their car is sitting at a pump nearby. The car is often a newer model, and they’re typically decently attired - which seems to play into the rise that they’re otherwise normal, decent people who’ve just had an unfortunate episode for which they need a small bit of temporary aid (like $5 of gas - which doesn’t even require cash, and instead, just a debit card). In one instance, the person was driving a newer Cadillac. In the most recent occurrence, the person was driving a Mercedes, and it happened at the Sheetz at RDU.

Prior to this past week, I’ve run into this scheme maybe once or twice over the last few years. But for it to happen 3 times in the past week seems like this trend has really caught on. Just curious if anyone else has encountered this recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 08:12 AM

20,169 posts, read 19,668,673 times
This is an obvious scam in the retail industry. Gas stations are not the only retailers.

Here is another scenario from a retail store:

[Customer (black male dressed nicely):] "Hi, I would like to return this impact drill. I cannot recall what store location I bought it at. I paid cash for it."

[Associate:] "Do you have your receipt?"

[Customer:] "No, I do not. Can you look it up by my credit card?"

[Associate:] "No. We can pull up your reward membership account."

[Customer:] "I am not a reward member. I do not give out personal information."

[Associate:] "Okay. Our options are exchange the merchandise for something in the store, or receive merchandise credit toward future purchases."

[Customer:] "I need cash now."

[Associate:] "If you want to leave the item here and check for your receipt where you paid cash, we can wait. An ID will required in order to initiate the return."

[Customer leaves.]

[Security Associate (approaches associate):] "That guy and his blonde female partner were in here earlier today sneaking items to a purse and walking out. We have evidence on tape. When he comes back, I will bust him."

[Looking outside a storefront window, a male and a blonde female drive off in a Mercedes.]

Old 10-02-2019, 10:24 AM

874 posts, read 612,694 times
Is this a scenario you personally witnessed or made up?

Old 10-02-2019, 11:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 887,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
This is an obvious scam in the retail industry. Gas stations are not the only retailers.

Here is another scenario from a retail store:

[Customer (black male dressed nicely):] "Hi, I would like to return this impact drill. I cannot recall what store location I bought it at. I paid cash for it."

[Associate:] "Do you have your receipt?"

[Customer:] "No, I do not. Can you look it up by my credit card?"

[Associate:] "No. We can pull up your reward membership account."

[Customer:] "I am not a reward member. I do not give out personal information."

[Associate:] "Okay. Our options are exchange the merchandise for something in the store, or receive merchandise credit toward future purchases."

[Customer:] "I need cash now."

[Associate:] "If you want to leave the item here and check for your receipt where you paid cash, we can wait. An ID will required in order to initiate the return."

[Customer leaves.]

[Security Associate (approaches associate):] "That guy and his blonde female partner were in here earlier today sneaking items to a purse and walking out. We have evidence on tape. When he comes back, I will bust him."

[Looking outside a storefront window, a male and a blonde female drive off in a Mercedes.]
What does the color of the man's skin have to do with anything?

Old 10-02-2019, 11:50 AM

319 posts, read 136,305 times
Had same scam happen to me on 40 at a rest stop on one of my trips to family in the mountains. One year later I visited family again, and stopped at the same rest stop. This same guy, with the same story approached me.

I gave him a piece of my mind and drove off. What a loser.

I dont give folks money anymore. I use to be sympathetic, but then I thought "If i make money farming and working my butt sore for $6/hr why can't these folks get a fast food or grocery job at $7/hr?". I have very little patience for them now and view them as lazy, entitled bums as the default unless they can prove otherwise.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:57 AM

917 posts, read 382,080 times
I've put some gas into peoples cars a few times, but I'm not handing out cash.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,645,155 times
I stopped going to sheetz. Every location every time, I was hit up with some sort of sob story for my money.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:55 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,901,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
For the third time in a week, I’ve been approached at a gas station pump with roughly the same plaintive pitch... “excuse me sir, I’ve just realized that my (choose one: purse, credit card, wallet) has been stolen/forgotten/lost, and I just need enough gas to get home (which always seems to be about 30 miles away). Their car is sitting at a pump nearby. The car is often a newer model, and they’re typically decently attired - which seems to play into the rise that they’re otherwise normal, decent people who’ve just had an unfortunate episode for which they need a small bit of temporary aid (like $5 of gas - which doesn’t even require cash, and instead, just a debit card). In one instance, the person was driving a newer Cadillac. In the most recent occurrence, the person was driving a Mercedes, and it happened at the Sheetz at RDU.

Prior to this past week, I’ve run into this scheme maybe once or twice over the last few years. But for it to happen 3 times in the past week seems like this trend has really caught on. Just curious if anyone else has encountered this recently.
Maybe try using a different gas station ?

Old 10-02-2019, 01:15 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,487,306 times
I just tell them, "I"m sorry but my wife only gives me enough for my lunch". Which implies I don't have cash, or a credit card, and sidesteps any confrontation.
If I'm already going to step into the store, I'll advise their clerk that a panhandler is outside bothering their customers.
I don't feel guilty at all, considering all the taxes I pay, and the donations I already give to credible agencies. The gas-pump panhandler may look and sound pathetic, but I'd rather my money go to the family who's house burnt down and needs clothing for their kids, etc.

(PS: I don't have a wife).

Old 10-02-2019, 07:34 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,220,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I've put some gas into peoples cars a few times, but I'm not handing out cash.
sucker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or