U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2019, 10:05 AM
 
258 posts, read 269,036 times
Reputation: 276

Advertisements

The thing that puzzles me - and I mean I really cannot understand it - is how all these people drown in the Atlantic on the NC coast. It seemed like this summer there was a story nearly every day. I just don't get it. Unless you break your neck, hit your head and get knocked unconscious or just flat-out cannot swim (or get hit by one of the bazillion surfers who are lined-up 3 feet apart for as far as you can see) - I do not understand how you drown. All the hype that "rip currents" get is ridiculous to me. I have been swimming in the Atlantic for my whole life, just this year over 100 times and always before 730am or after 6pm when there are no lifeguards. The rougher the water the better. There have been times when I am the only person at the beach, let alone the only person in the water. I've been in there during pretty much every condition - except when the beach is under a mandatory evacuation (and I'd be there then too if I thought I could get away with it) - and I just don't understand how someone dies because of a rip current. Outside of an unrelated medical condition, I find it mind-boggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Durm
5,980 posts, read 9,073,844 times
Reputation: 6730
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
The thing that puzzles me - and I mean I really cannot understand it - is how all these people drown in the Atlantic on the NC coast. It seemed like this summer there was a story nearly every day. I just don't get it. Unless you break your neck, hit your head and get knocked unconscious or just flat-out cannot swim (or get hit by one of the bazillion surfers who are lined-up 3 feet apart for as far as you can see) - I do not understand how you drown. All the hype that "rip currents" get is ridiculous to me. I have been swimming in the Atlantic for my whole life, just this year over 100 times and always before 730am or after 6pm when there are no lifeguards. The rougher the water the better. There have been times when I am the only person at the beach, let alone the only person in the water. I've been in there during pretty much every condition - except when the beach is under a mandatory evacuation (and I'd be there then too if I thought I could get away with it) - and I just don't understand how someone dies because of a rip current. Outside of an unrelated medical condition, I find it mind-boggling.
Yeah but maybe you know to swim sideways. I'm guessing that people drown because they're exhausted trying to fight the rip current and swim in to shore rather than out the side of the rip current.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 11:26 AM
 
917 posts, read 382,080 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
The thing that puzzles me - and I mean I really cannot understand it - is how all these people drown in the Atlantic on the NC coast. It seemed like this summer there was a story nearly every day. I just don't get it. Unless you break your neck, hit your head and get knocked unconscious or just flat-out cannot swim (or get hit by one of the bazillion surfers who are lined-up 3 feet apart for as far as you can see) - I do not understand how you drown. All the hype that "rip currents" get is ridiculous to me. I have been swimming in the Atlantic for my whole life, just this year over 100 times and always before 730am or after 6pm when there are no lifeguards. The rougher the water the better. There have been times when I am the only person at the beach, let alone the only person in the water. I've been in there during pretty much every condition - except when the beach is under a mandatory evacuation (and I'd be there then too if I thought I could get away with it) - and I just don't understand how someone dies because of a rip current. Outside of an unrelated medical condition, I find it mind-boggling.
Not hard to understand at all. Not everyone is great swimmer first of all, then they get caught in a rip current, realize they're being pulled away from shore, panic, become exhausted, and drown. And "a story nearly every day" is a huge exaggeration.

For someone who constantly looks for understanding and sympathy on this forum, I'd think you might have a little for the victims of a real tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 08:17 AM
 
258 posts, read 269,036 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Not hard to understand at all. Not everyone is great swimmer first of all, then they get caught in a rip current, realize they're being pulled away from shore, panic, become exhausted, and drown. And "a story nearly every day" is a huge exaggeration.

For someone who constantly looks for understanding and sympathy on this forum, I'd think you might have a little for the victims of a real tragedy.

I forgot that some people on CD want to turn everything into an argument. Good grief. That is why I don't visit the forum often anymore. I have never posted on any forum in search of sympathy and it sure isn't "constantly" for any reason. I also didn't express any lack of sympathy for anyone who drowns. I am sorry not everyone's world view and life experiences match yours or your expectations. Must be good to go through life always understanding everything and never being surprised or confused by anything you see other people doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times
Reputation: 8838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
The thing that puzzles me - and I mean I really cannot understand it - is how all these people drown in the Atlantic on the NC coast. It seemed like this summer there was a story nearly every day. I just don't get it.
I don't understand how you don't understand this when people drown every single year in backyard swimming pools where there are no waves to knock you off your feet, no rip currents, etc. Not to mention people who drown in their own bathtubs. People get in water, some of them drown. Humans can't breathe water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 09:42 AM
 
917 posts, read 382,080 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I forgot that some people on CD want to turn everything into an argument. Good grief. That is why I don't visit the forum often anymore. I have never posted on any forum in search of sympathy and it sure isn't "constantly" for any reason.
It sure sounds like it. Complaining about not being able to find somewhere to shower, or park at the beach, or whining about being stuck in traffic, etc., etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I also didn't express any lack of sympathy for anyone who drowns. I am sorry not everyone's world view and life experiences match yours or your expectations. Must be good to go through life always understanding everything and never being surprised or confused by anything you see other people doing.
It sure sounded like it. Maybe you need to think about how you come across in your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 09:48 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 2,853,238 times
Reputation: 2222
I got caught in a rip current off Wrightsville Beach once. I made it back to shore (obviously) but it was an education on just how fast a rip current can be. I can see how someone who isn't paying attention could find himself a hundred yards out.

For surfing in NC, one source of information is the Buddy Pelletier Surfing Foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
8,786 posts, read 6,577,104 times
Reputation: 12337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
The thing that puzzles me - and I mean I really cannot understand it - is how all these people drown in the Atlantic on the NC coast. It seemed like this summer there was a story nearly every day. I just don't get it. Unless you break your neck, hit your head and get knocked unconscious or just flat-out cannot swim (or get hit by one of the bazillion surfers who are lined-up 3 feet apart for as far as you can see) - I do not understand how you drown. All the hype that "rip currents" get is ridiculous to me. I have been swimming in the Atlantic for my whole life, just this year over 100 times and always before 730am or after 6pm when there are no lifeguards. The rougher the water the better. There have been times when I am the only person at the beach, let alone the only person in the water. I've been in there during pretty much every condition - except when the beach is under a mandatory evacuation (and I'd be there then too if I thought I could get away with it) - and I just don't understand how someone dies because of a rip current. Outside of an unrelated medical condition, I find it mind-boggling.
I wonder how much alcohol is involved myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 10:19 AM
 
258 posts, read 269,036 times
Reputation: 276
Oh I'm sorry. I thought the reason for local forums was to discuss observations, current events, news, experiences and items of interest, etc....and to also ask questions. I didn't start this thread. There was a mention of Wrightsville Beach regarding surfing and if you were down there the whole summer like I was, then you know how much media attention the drownings received.

I am not a good swimmer. You don't have to be any sort of swimmer to not drown. If I had said - "wow you really have to be an idiot to drown in a rip current" or something like that, then I can see how one might take that as lack of sympathy. What I expressed was a sincere confusion at how these people drown outside of explanations that don't make it into the news reports.

When I have a question, I post a question. If there is a background story that explains why I am asking the question, I provide it. Sorry if that bothers you. What you call complaining, I call asking a question. Trolls who have no life and instead of just not posting if they don't have a useful reply - feel the need to go back and research every post anyone ever makes and then start an argument over nothing - I just will never understand that. The question I asked about the NC DOT construction project on I40 was answered by LM117.

Maybe when I have enough time, I will go back and ridicule and mischaracterize all of Edward Teach's posts. Oh wait a minute, I'm not a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 05:04 PM
 
917 posts, read 382,080 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Oh I'm sorry. I thought the reason for local forums was to discuss observations, current events, news, experiences and items of interest, etc....and to also ask questions. I didn't start this thread. There was a mention of Wrightsville Beach regarding surfing and if you were down there the whole summer like I was, then you know how much media attention the drownings received.

I am not a good swimmer. You don't have to be any sort of swimmer to not drown. If I had said - "wow you really have to be an idiot to drown in a rip current" or something like that, then I can see how one might take that as lack of sympathy. What I expressed was a sincere confusion at how these people drown outside of explanations that don't make it into the news reports.

When I have a question, I post a question. If there is a background story that explains why I am asking the question, I provide it. Sorry if that bothers you. What you call complaining, I call asking a question. Trolls who have no life and instead of just not posting if they don't have a useful reply - feel the need to go back and research every post anyone ever makes and then start an argument over nothing - I just will never understand that. The question I asked about the NC DOT construction project on I40 was answered by LM117.

Maybe when I have enough time, I will go back and ridicule and mischaracterize all of Edward Teach's posts. Oh wait a minute, I'm not a troll.
So I guess discussion that agrees with you is fine, but discussion that disagrees with you is trolling. Interesting perspective.

I see self awareness isn't your strong suit...no surprise there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top