U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2019, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,087 posts, read 28,657,037 times
Reputation: 8708

Advertisements

I have 4 kids that graduated from Sanderson. My youngest is now 25 years old so it has been a while. She graduated from NCSU and my other daughter graduated from UNC. My sons went to ECU. My point is that they got a great education from Sanderson. All were in honor classes.

Some of the teachers that taught my oldest were still there to teach my youngest! Again, it has been a while but we always thought it was a great high school.

Leeville HS always had higher scores. Millbrook HS seemed to have the lowest. Sanderson HS was in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2019, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
10,625 posts, read 7,763,837 times
Reputation: 9084
first, try to separate current reports from decades-old reports.

for example, a decade ago the clear answer would have been Leesville.
over the course of a decade, schools rise as fall as their population and administration changes.

Wake County puts out simplified info on EVERY school in the system. You can find it here:

https://www.wcpss.net/Page/5055

You can also find data/results at NC Report Card:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...=1&county=wake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 03:17 PM
 
143 posts, read 216,453 times
Reputation: 170
We live in North Raleigh. Yes, I've heard "Sleazeville" once or twice but have also heard "Scandalson" and "Pillbrook: more than once... we take it at 'place value'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2019, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
8,786 posts, read 6,577,104 times
Reputation: 12337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
We live in North Raleigh. Yes, I've heard "Sleazeville" once or twice but have also heard "Scandalson" and "Pillbrook: more than once... we take it at 'place value'.
Or Green Dope. I’ve heard that about almost every single high school, anywhere, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 AM
 
25 posts, read 21,672 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you all for the feedback. I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 01:10 PM
 
1,124 posts, read 420,683 times
Reputation: 1191
Millbrook is the worst by a fair margin, Leesville the best by a fair margin. If in an honors class, the difference probably comes down to teachers which means it’s a coin flip. But on the whole, I’d basically just say stay away from Millbrook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 AM
 
229 posts, read 178,416 times
Reputation: 196
Interesting responses so far. Every school has issues with violence and drugs, every one. What's that really mean though? Are all kids fighting and taking drugs? NO. Having navigated 2 kid's experience in Wake County public schools I would say that no matter where a kid ends up going (post elementary school) that their experience is 100% up to them. Their choices will dictate their experience, period. Teachers do matter to an extent, and it's always hard to say where you'll find the best teacher. Each school likely has its share of good, bad and middle of the road teachers on hand. Every school, even middle and elementary schools have drugs of some level or another, sad, but true.

Both of our children attended Millbrook, despite all the hearsay and rumors, and had excellent experiences and left well-prepared for college and have done extremely well. They both did IB (the OP stated her child was not ready for this) their Junior and Senior years, it was an outstanding, albeit demanding, experience. Both were in a heavy mix of AP and Honors classes their freshman and sophomore years.

They were aware of fights, gangs, drugs, sex and all other things going on at their school. They were not negatively impacted by any of it and rarely, if ever, faced with these things. I have heard negatives on near every school in Wake County, public and/or private. Decide on a house and neighborhood that works for you, that should be primary, then deal with schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:29 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
Reputation: 13334
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
Interesting responses so far. Every school has issues with violence and drugs, every one. What's that really mean though? Are all kids fighting and taking drugs? NO. Having navigated 2 kid's experience in Wake County public schools I would say that no matter where a kid ends up going (post elementary school) that their experience is 100% up to them. Their choices will dictate their experience, period. Teachers do matter to an extent, and it's always hard to say where you'll find the best teacher. Each school likely has its share of good, bad and middle of the road teachers on hand. Every school, even middle and elementary schools have drugs of some level or another, sad, but true.

Both of our children attended Millbrook, despite all the hearsay and rumors, and had excellent experiences and left well-prepared for college and have done extremely well. They both did IB (the OP stated her child was not ready for this) their Junior and Senior years, it was an outstanding, albeit demanding, experience. Both were in a heavy mix of AP and Honors classes their freshman and sophomore years.

They were aware of fights, gangs, drugs, sex and all other things going on at their school. They were not negatively impacted by any of it and rarely, if ever, faced with these things. I have heard negatives on near every school in Wake County, public and/or private. Decide on a house and neighborhood that works for you, that should be primary, then deal with schools.
Agree with all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:57 AM
 
Location: The Windy City
5,314 posts, read 3,475,644 times
Reputation: 4576
I went to Sanderson and graduated in the early 2000s. It was a great school with plenty of honors and AP classes. It's also super diverse and has students from just about every background. I remember some fights, but it was never bad enough to make me feel unsafe. Many of the teachers had been there for 20+ years, so it has a small community feel to it.

Leesville always had a slightly better reputation and Millbrook always had a slightly worse reputation.

I knew people who used drugs, but the high school I taught at in rural Missouri had kids who used drugs. Just avoid the druggies and losers and you'll do fine in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 06:44 PM
 
2,447 posts, read 2,473,843 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Or Green Dope. I’ve heard that about almost every single high school, anywhere, ever.
Don't forget about Panther Crack.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top