Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 07:05 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,612 times

Advertisements

There's probably a thread about this somewhere but I'm furious with Spectrum and wonder if anyone else has had the same problem. I disconnected service on 9/2 and didn't transfer it because I moved into an in-law apartment and the home's owner is including utilities I had it disconnected. I returned my equipment also.

Today I called to follow up and make sure the disconnect was done. It was. I was informed that because my "subscription" for this period is 8/28 to 9/27, I have a payment due on 9/14 for this period. I was told that the monthly statement states that there is no pro-rating done per policy.

First off, how is it that if we don't have an annual contract requirement with Spectrum that we have a subscription? Second, how is it that we have to pay for services we are not receiving? If we have moved out and notified a utility or other provider to disconnect, why are we responsible beyond our move-out date? It's standard business policy to terminate service when we move out of a place and pay the pro-rated amount through the date we occupy the place.

So if the new tenant moves in at some point in the month, say on or about 9/15, then Spectrum will be receiving a double payment for services at that address, from the start of their service to extra payment from me for the entire month of September minus 3 days. These are unethical business practices, are they not?

I went on to tell the "supervisor" I spoke with that no matter what their policy is, I am contesting it. I moved out because I could not afford to live there anymore. I moved into a tiny apartment for this reason. I never saw the first unemployment check I should've received from North Carolina (that's another story!). I am only working part-time and not finding full-time employment, due to Covid-19 and to being 62 years old.

The so-called supervisor at Spectrum said she will escalate the matter to someone above her and they would contact me in 24 to 48 hours.

Whatever their new policies are, they are unjust based on the standard business model from the beginning of time when bills are pro-rated for time unused and furthermore during these times of Covid even more unfair for people struggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 07:32 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
It is what it is unfortunately. You likely agreed to the policy when you signed up.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:15 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Yeah that sucks but you're likely contractually obligated and it's in their statement that they don't pro-rate. Spectrum's policy is Spectrum's policy and it doesn't really matter what you think standard business policy is in this case.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:16 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
It's been that way for a long, long time.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:41 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Even if there’s not a contract, when you use their service, you agree to their term of service.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:24 AM

However, I looked back at statements from 2019 and there was nothing in the policy then. Whether one likes is or not, the company should notify the customer of changes in their policies. It's common courtesy, especially if you have been a long time customer who has always paid his/her bills on time. I won't debate that with anyone.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:49 AM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
AT&T does the exact same thing.

If you cancel service(s) prior to the end of your monthly billing period, you'll be charged for the remainder of that period. From https://www.spectrum.net/support/man...onthly-charges

Old 09-05-2020, 08:51 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
However, I looked back at statements from 2019 and there was nothing in the policy then. Whether one likes is or not, the company should notify the customer of changes in their policies. It's common courtesy, especially if you have been a long time customer who has always paid his/her bills on time. I won't debate that with anyone.
Well, it's been that way since I signed up a decade ago.

You pay per month and they refuse to prorate. I agree, it's bullcrap.

The lack of competition in internet services is harsh on the consumer.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:38 AM

Thank you for supporting my stand on this, wheelsup. Bullcrap it is. And to think that in knowing what many of us are going through due to Covid affecting our incomes, they show no clemency. They should take it into consideration that some of us (I at least) have been paying the bills from March onward despite loss of income. I have been splitting the payments in two and still getting them in before the final date of the grace period. It's a consolation knowing one person feels as I do, wheelsup.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:22 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
It wouldn't have been in the statements. It would have been in the documentation when you signed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary