U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2019, 03:18 PM

1,427 posts, read 764,697 times

Advertisements

They are re-paving 40 east- and west-bound near the 440 interchange.

The prior road is/was concrete (at least in colour), the new pavement is asphalt.

Anyone know why? Thought the concrete was better given the heat here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 03:30 PM

3,044 posts, read 7,485,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post

The prior road is/was concrete (at least in colour), the new pavement is asphalt.

I don't know for sure, but I believe it's a quick temporary "fix" as they will be ripping this all out again over the next 2-3 years when they add the 3rd lanes in both directions and construct new bridges/interchanges for the planed beltline project between 440/40 and Wade Ave.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:54 PM

3,170 posts, read 4,226,614 times
I haven't been through there in the past week or so, but sometimes they put down a thin layer of asphalt when they're going to do a lane shift to accommodate construction. It lets them restripe lanes cleanly without grinding off the old markings, which can be confusing for drivers since the ground-off markings remain visible.

They did this just up the road at 40W and Aviation for the lane shift related to the ramp work there.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:00 PM

919 posts, read 384,592 times
Asphalt is cheaper. Given DOT's current budget situation, its not surprising they'd go with the less expensive material.

You can call the Division Engineer at DOT's Division 5 to find out for sure:

https://apps.ncdot.gov/dot/directory...ge.aspx?id=644

Old 10-02-2019, 04:27 PM

398 posts, read 159,913 times
I hope that not 100' of roadway will EVER be paved with concrete. I hate the constant bip-bip, bip-bit that it creates.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:38 PM

4,740 posts, read 3,147,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post

I think the economical reasons are probably correct if it's a permanent solution (also easier maintenance with asphalt). Can't say I'm 100% sure what the reasoning is (if TrafficSys is lurking he would know more info)

Old 10-02-2019, 10:20 PM

1,427 posts, read 764,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't know for sure, but I believe it's a quick temporary "fix" as they will be ripping this all out again over the next 2-3 years when they add the 3rd lanes in both directions and construct new bridges/interchanges for the planed beltline project between 440/40 and Wade Ave.
I think you're right, and it's already started, the land around the ramp just down from there has been cleared. I suppose it had to happen at some point....

Old 10-03-2019, 07:26 AM

160 posts, read 101,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think the economical reasons are probably correct if it's a permanent solution (also easier maintenance with asphalt). Can't say I'm 100% sure what the reasoning is (if TrafficSys is lurking he would know more info)
Happened to be in a meeting with the contractor yesterday (on another project.)

The asphalt layer over the concrete is permanent. It’s a different mix from the usual, so it’ll “stick” better, and at almost 10 inches depth at the finish, won’t have the joints come through, as they do with the thin overlays on the two outside lanes on 40 between Wade and US 1 or the inside lane between 147ad 15-501.

The work to widen 40 is going a lot faster with the asphalt. If the new lanes would have been concrete, I think the Department would have required the 30-year old existing lanes’ concrete to be replaced, taking a lot longer. As a base to the asphalt overlay, they’re fine. This section didn’t have the same concrete additive that caused the problems in the Fortify section.

ETA: ‘I may have confused the section you’re talking about. I was talking about the widening section from 440 to (eventually) 42. I see you were likely talking about Wade to US 1. A new overlay with this new mix will be permanent. Not much will be “lost” with the work, and if you drive it with any regularity, you know it needs the overlay. (There, the third lane, on the inside, was built with asphalt while the two original outside lanes were concrete. Again, that concrete didn’t have the bad additive so as a base it’s fine. Just need a better asphalt overlay so the joints don’t come through.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or