U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 08:46 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,225,566 times

Advertisements

Yes, the OP is oddly obsessed with the NIMBY angle on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 10:00 PM

1,407 posts, read 1,321,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Have you seen what is going on at Cary Town Center?
We dodged TWO bullets from Top Golf and Ikea in that location.
Not NIMBY. Just good management on the first, and good luck on the second.

Tax revenues off a proper highest and best use of that property will dwarf the potential revenue from those two lesser uses that would have appealed to only specific limited people in the area.
Educate me(this isn't a smart remark, just saying fill me in on what I don't know), what's been going on at Cary Town Center? It's so empty I barely go, also I think they don't think about who goes to malls, just didn't make sense to me to put senior living apartments at the mall. Honestly when people were fussing about top golf the first time I just didn't get it, still don't, and thought it sucked that Ikea backed out, since people were expecting that to drive life back into Cary Town Center.

That said Drive Shack's location might as well be Cary and is very convenient.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:51 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,225,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Educate me(this isn't a smart remark, just saying fill me in on what I don't know), what's been going on at Cary Town Center? It's so empty I barely go, also I think they don't think about who goes to malls, just didn't make sense to me to put senior living apartments at the mall. Honestly when people were fussing about top golf the first time I just didn't get it, still don't, and thought it sucked that Ikea backed out, since people were expecting that to drive life back into Cary Town Center.

175-foot light poles right next to people's backyards was always a terrible idea. I could have been on board with IKEA, but as a piecemeal redevelopment, it was a risky proposition.

If they can pull off the new plan for basically a completely ground-up mixed-use rebuild (aside from Belk) with a new street grid, it'll be a whole lot better for CTC and Cary.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:02 AM

34,290 posts, read 59,604,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post

https://www.townofcary.org/projects-...-redevelopment

"The application includes a Preliminary Development Plan (PDP) proposing up to 1,200,000 square feet of office use, 360,000 square feet of commercial use, 450 hotel rooms and 1,800 multi-family and townhouse dwelling units."

It will add to congestion, I expect, but is a massively superior use of that extremely valuable property over Ikea or Top Golf.
This is "in town" and on the Eastern Gateway, opposite and nicely complementing The Fenton. https://www.fentonnc.com/

Top Golf and Ikea are far more suitable for edge-of-town locations, like Crossroads. Top Golf actually considered vacant land between Piney Plains Road and US 1, which would have been a fine use of that property, had it been a good fit for them.
Yes, Drive Shack is in an appropriate location for such a low use of land.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:25 AM

8,083 posts, read 11,177,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ah....I was just making the point....Cary NIMBY's take that....but Drive Shack is just one exit from Cary. Obviously I did not make my point very well. Been a long day, feels like Monday, glad it's not!
Simply it being in Cary, while I’m sure a few people were against that, was not the reason it didn’t go forward. It wasn’t a good use for the specific property they tried at Cary Towne and would have had a high impact on directly adjacent homes and the Aquatic Center.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:10 PM

7,394 posts, read 8,372,995 times
Is there a difference between Drive Shack and TopGolf?

Old 10-05-2019, 10:18 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,065,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Is there a difference between Drive Shack and TopGolf?
Nah - same thing different brand.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:20 PM

7,394 posts, read 8,372,995 times
Thats what I figured, but wasn't sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary