U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 09:19 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,654,499 times

Advertisements

He probably meant to say 90% of them are useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 09:40 AM

12,427 posts, read 22,091,910 times
His other comments were just as worrisome. Suggesting a student was dropped on their head because they didn't know the answer? Honestly the guy just sounds like a dick overall. Teach the material and throw in some entertaining commentary, if the kids don't study that is in them and when the test results come in. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:12 AM

7,953 posts, read 9,020,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

No one should ever be called out based on their natural features.
Or unnatural features!

Old 10-03-2019, 10:17 AM

This prof is the kind of dude you have to get in his face right from the start and set the tone:

"Look, I know I'm probably useless, ignorant, and won't understand at least some of this material, but you're here to teach, I'm here to learn to the best of my ability, so let's just go with that and see how things unfold, mmmkay?"

This guy would probably respect such an in-his-face verbal exchange. People who are bullies (secretly) respect those who not only aren't afraid of them, but are more than happy to take them on in ways they might find unconventional.

My 20 yr old self wouldn't have had the cojones to do it but my middle-age self would have no problem and might enjoy it.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:31 AM

1,240 posts, read 265,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're just as bad as he is.
My comment proves that women are not useless. That guy likely lives by himself. My wife is far from useless. She’s also good at weeding and doing repairs.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
...and now we crucify the accused across the internet based on rumor and here say before an investigation is complete.

Now watch this thread go 20 pages deep in a tit for tat whataboutism gender war.

..yay.

This is an anonymous internet message board, what did you really expect?

Old 10-03-2019, 11:51 AM

1,343 posts, read 841,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This prof is the kind of dude you have to get in his face right from the start and set the tone:

"Look, I know I'm probably useless, ignorant, and won't understand at least some of this material, but you're here to teach, I'm here to learn to the best of my ability, so let's just go with that and see how things unfold, mmmkay?"

This guy would probably respect such an in-his-face verbal exchange. People who are bullies (secretly) respect those who not only aren't afraid of them, but are more than happy to take them on in ways they might find unconventional.

My 20 yr old self wouldn't have had the cojones to do it but my middle-age self would have no problem and might enjoy it.

In at least one or two situations, I also found this to be the case with people I worked with at my last job. I too have cultivated that skill over my 47 years.

But my teenaged self would be devastated if a teacher called me stupid, useless, or only good for reproducing.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
But my teenaged self would be devastated if a teacher called me stupid, useless, or only good for reproducing.
I would have felt the same way and not known what to do. After decades of dealing with a variety of bullies in business environments, I've got experience and skills and think quick; I wish I could go back in time and infuse those into my 18 yr old self.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:47 PM

474 posts, read 273,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I looked up his reviews on "Rate my Professor" and it appears that he often puts down people in class, calling them inadequate and such. They're pretty bad reviews (from before this week). It looks like he's a Brit.

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/Sho...sp?tid=2173791
One of my friends goes to NC State and was actually in one of Davis's classes that has been affected by this. He said Davis is a terrible teacher and is glad that someone else will be teaching the class from now on.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:00 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
One of my friends goes to NC State and was actually in one of Davis's classes that has been affected by this. He said Davis is a terrible teacher and is glad that someone else will be teaching the class from now on.

Excellent! Nothing like getting rid of an alt-right piece of garbage from our universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary