U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2019, 10:03 AM
 
922 posts, read 553,314 times
Reputation: 2591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Excellent! Nothing like getting rid of an alt-right piece of garbage from our universities.

Oh good grief... because yeah, that's how that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2019, 10:21 AM
 
319 posts, read 136,305 times
Reputation: 646
Much ado bout nothing. I highly doubt this prof was calling all women useless. It looks like it was intended as a joke.

I would also add that y'all getting all upset because women fill traditional in homes are way off base. My wife cooks, cleans, does laundry, bakes the best pies you ever had, stays home with the kids, homeschools and prepares all the food we get from the farm including all our egg, chicken, Turkey and pork needs. Women been doing it for thousands of year and will for thousands more.

Nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 10:31 AM
 
772 posts, read 274,570 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Much ado bout nothing. I highly doubt this prof was calling all women useless. It looks like it was intended as a joke.

I would also add that y'all getting all upset because women fill traditional in homes are way off base. My wife cooks, cleans, does laundry, bakes the best pies you ever had, stays home with the kids, homeschools and prepares all the food we get from the farm including all our egg, chicken, Turkey and pork needs. Women been doing it for thousands of year and will for thousands more.

Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think anyone has an issue with women filling said roles/owning those tasks.


The issue line (for me) comes from the idea of many (in the real world, not our little digital slice here) that women are expected to do that/all they should be doing. Which is obviously a mentality, of thankfully, a bygone era.


ETA - As for your first point, I disagree. Joke or not (and if it was a joke, boy does he have terrible judgement on what jokes to go with when), I know I wouldn't want any man saying that to my mother, sister, wife or daughter. What a boor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 11:51 AM
 
853 posts, read 576,976 times
Reputation: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Much ado bout nothing. I highly doubt this prof was calling all women useless. It looks like it was intended as a joke.
Jokes are supposed to be funny and no one is laughing here. Stick to the physics and leave the joke telling to the professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 11:53 AM
 
319 posts, read 136,305 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I don't think anyone has an issue with women filling said roles/owning those tasks.


The issue line (for me) comes from the idea of many (in the real world, not our little digital slice here) that women are expected to do that/all they should be doing. Which is obviously a mentality, of thankfully, a bygone era.


ETA - As for your first point, I disagree. Joke or not (and if it was a joke, boy does he have terrible judgement on what jokes to go with when), I know I wouldn't want any man saying that to my mother, sister, wife or daughter. What a boor.
I partially agree with your issue line as well. The wife and I believe it is ok to expect for women (our girls) to do traditional girl chores, but we also agree it's not ok that it's all they should be doing, and vice versa with the boys.

I would just add that there are differences in the English/American humour/humor such as Monty Python
Vs the 3 Stooges.

I saw someone said he is from the old country, so depending on the context, if it was a joke then it could be reasonable. If he does actually think women are useless then I agree he should be gone.

I'm not a fan of the current "you said XYZ and I interpreted it as ABC so you're guilty and need to be fired" thought process. I always suggest waiting for the actual facts to come out before making a judgement based on hearsay because that is what I would want were I in his shoes.

One of my college professors was from London and his jokes would sometimes go over our heads because of the culture differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 12:01 PM
 
319 posts, read 136,305 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Jokes are supposed to be funny and no one is laughing here. Stick to the physics and leave the joke telling to the professionals.
Different jokes are funny to different people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 12:19 PM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
Reputation: 13334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Much ado bout nothing. I highly doubt this prof was calling all women useless. It looks like it was intended as a joke.

I would also add that y'all getting all upset because women fill traditional in homes are way off base. My wife cooks, cleans, does laundry, bakes the best pies you ever had, stays home with the kids, homeschools and prepares all the food we get from the farm including all our egg, chicken, Turkey and pork needs. Women been doing it for thousands of year and will for thousands more.

Nothing wrong with that.

Nobody said there was - you're completely missing the point. I daresay a woman who is NCSU in a physics class doesn't wish to be told that's all she's good for.


Likewise, the expectation that man can't stay home and do all the cookin' and cleanin' and rasin' up of the chillen is somewhat antiquated as well.


And being from a city like London is no excuse. Gimme a break here. I get that there's a segment of the male population that is way behind the curve on this, but some effort is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 12:46 PM
 
10,578 posts, read 5,539,934 times
Reputation: 36582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
I would also add that y'all getting all upset because women fill traditional in homes are way off base. My wife cooks, cleans, does laundry, bakes the best pies you ever had, stays home with the kids, homeschools and prepares all the food we get from the farm including all our egg, chicken, Turkey and pork needs. Women been doing it for thousands of year and will for thousands more.

Nothing wrong with that.

The problem is when a woman's worth is tied into her domestic skills. I am far more than my ability to bake a pie or clean a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 12:56 PM
 
319 posts, read 136,305 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Nobody said there was - you're completely missing the point. I daresay a woman who is NCSU in a physics class doesn't wish to be told that's all she's good for.


Likewise, the expectation that man can't stay home and do all the cookin' and cleanin' and rasin' up of the chillen is somewhat antiquated as well.


And being from a city like London is no excuse. Gimme a break here. I get that there's a segment of the male population that is way behind the curve on this, but some effort is appreciated.
Yes, somebody did say that, on page 2...

I'm not missing the point. People are jumping on a foreigner before considering where he came from and the context he said it in.

I dont think a stay at home father is as good as a stay at home mother. Men are not as nurturing as women. It's not antiquated, it's true. You have your opinion and I have mine. We can leave it at that.

And there is no curve for men to be behind on. God doesn't change. You cant be behind or ahead on something that is immutable. If there's any curve, theres a respect for others curve, and you are acting as if you're far behind on that, although I would be delighted to he proven wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2019, 01:14 PM
 
319 posts, read 136,305 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The problem is when a woman's worth is tied into her domestic skills. I am far more than my ability to bake a pie or clean a house.
Why not do that?

My economic worth is judged by how well I can program computers and how well I can raise, process and packaged my livestock.

Why shouldnt we judge women's economic worth, who choose to stay home, on how well they can cook, clean, and manage the home?

Men are judged based on how well the lawn looks too haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top