Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 02:10 PM

32 posts, read 55,636 times

Advertisements

Currently spending some time in the Raleigh area. We’re retired and would love to give the area a try. We’re coming from FL which we just never fell in love with. Immediately loved the areas we’ve visited while here. We had a list of places to visit so we had researched them all in advance. Stumbled on Wendell Farms by accident so we didn’t research it. While we can buy now, we wouldn’t move here permanently until the youngest graduates college in two years (want to keep that in-state tuition going). There’s nothing out that way now, but it’s just a matter of time. By the time we moved in in two years, the grocery store and restaurants would be in. It’s 15 minutes to Downtown. It seems to suit us perfectly and the price is right. Schools aren’t an issue for us. Is there anything about that area we should consider? Not much comes up about it when we search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 02:47 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,660 times
Ironically, my husband just drove me out there to see it. It has a small cute downtown, but overall seems pretty quiet. I find it hard to believe that it would be only 15 min with traffic. Maybe during off hours, but even that feels like a stretch.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:08 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Knightdale, which is between Wendell and DT Raleigh, is 15 minutes without traffic if you put the start point right on 87. So it would be more than that from Wendell. Guessing more like 25.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:46 PM

We drove from the subdivision to Living Kitchen in Downtown Raleigh in exactly 15 minutes. It’s a Saturday with almost zero traffic so that definitely factors in. I can’t imagine we’d go there more than once a week. It’s not like we have to make the drive daily.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:52 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Google maps must be off, which is possible:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wend...35.7730125!3e0

Edit: I'm guessing you mean Wendell Falls (not farms)? The seems a little more do-able:

Old 02-03-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Google maps must be off, which is possible:

Edit: I'm guessing you mean Wendell Falls (not farms)? The seems a little more do-able:

Or maybe we drive a little too fast. 😃😊

Yes, Falls not Farms. Oops!

Old 02-03-2018, 04:34 PM

I just read this review on FB. I’m not the only one to make it to Downtown Raleigh in 15 minutes.

“ I'm a Realtor and I sold a house in Wendell Falls last year and immediately began working on my husband to leave ITB in Raleigh to move to Wendell Falls! I finally won him over and we bought a Homes by Dickerson home that we LOVE. We, our four teenagers, and our dog all LOVE IT HERE. The people are all so wonderful and the community as a whole has such amazing plans. There is nowhere this affordable in the Triangle!!!! Not to mention it takes me two minutes to get to 540 and only eight minutes to get to the beltline. I can be downtown in 15 minutes!!!!! It's convenience at its best with a ton of cool amenities and friendly people as icing on the cake!!! <3”

Old 02-04-2018, 04:34 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times
Wendell is like the small town I grew up in.

Would have considered it except for the horribly designed unlighted roads that are absolutely not senior friendly. As you get older, you may not want to live there, especially if you need to travel to Raleigh for medical reasons.

No public transit.

We have an apartment in North Raleigh and enjoy it.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:15 AM

57 posts, read 47,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Wendell is like the small town I grew up in.

Would have considered it except for the horribly designed unlighted roads that are absolutely not senior friendly. As you get older, you may not want to live there, especially if you need to travel to Raleigh for medical reasons.

No public transit.

We have an apartment in North Raleigh and enjoy it.
I’m not sure that the roads in Wendell have worse lighting than Raleigh. And I’m not sure I would recommend Raleigh for anyone that had to rely on public transportation. They are building a medical park on Wendell Falls Parkway. Depending on what they add, it may limit the need for travel.

We’re building a house in Wendell Falls right now. We really like the way the different builders are more scattered throughout the community and all the sidewalks and trails. We like having the cafe at the Farmhouse and that they hold events out there. You are taking a chance on the promise of additional commercial development. So far, all they’ve started on besides the medical park is a Cruizers. I think they wanted to make an announcement about a new grocery store before the end of 2017 and that didn’t happen.

For us the location off 264 works. It won’t take us that much longer to get downtown than it does from our current house, especially on weekends.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMagnolia75 View Post
I’m not sure that the roads in Wendell have worse lighting than Raleigh. And I’m not sure I would recommend Raleigh for anyone that had to rely on public transportation. They are building a medical park on Wendell Falls Parkway. Depending on what they add, it may limit the need for travel.

We’re building a house in Wendell Falls right now. We really like the way the different builders are more scattered throughout the community and all the sidewalks and trails. We like having the cafe at the Farmhouse and that they hold events out there. You are taking a chance on the promise of additional commercial development. So far, all they’ve started on besides the medical park is a Cruizers. I think they wanted to make an announcement about a new grocery store before the end of 2017 and that didn’t happen.

For us the location off 264 works. It won’t take us that much longer to get downtown than it does from our current house, especially on weekends.
Thanks for the info! We are going to head back out there in a bit.
I do believe it is only a matter of time before retail sets in, but you’re right, it isn’t guaranteed. Do you know how far away the nearest grocery stores are right now?

I hope you enjoy your new place. We are very much leaning toward buying there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary