U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 PM

28 posts, read 11,319 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My family and I are moving to the triangle area next year. I am an ultrasound tech (heart specifically) There are so many hospitals that seem great. They are pretty much all hiring. I was wondering if anyone had any insight as far as health benefits, time off, pay, pension, childcare services. The VA hospital is hiring, UNC, UNC Rex, Duke University, Duke regional, Wake med North and Raleigh. They all seem great but it's so overwhelming because I don't know much about each one. Any advice about the difference in hospital would be wonderful. Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 06:33 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,061,457 times
I don't have any input but just saying you forgot one

Duke Raleigh Hospital off Wake Forest Rd.

From what I have read, UNC Rex (Raleigh) and Duke Raleigh are overall the best hospitals to work for. Duke is the lowest paying, but will hire/train (ie, don't need 36 years of experience to be a data entry operator) and that's all I got.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:51 PM

397 posts, read 159,738 times
This is something you'll have to discover for yourself through interviews.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:01 PM

3,826 posts, read 9,840,737 times
I worked at both main Duke (DUH) and Duke Raleigh (DRaH) for a total of 10-1/2 years, retiring last summer. Enjoyed my time at both and Duke benefits were great. Duke Raleigh, being much smaller, is more intimate and close knit; main Duke offers a great deal in terms of working in an academic environment. I also have friends who work at UNC and Rex and they are also very happy.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:45 AM

284 posts, read 610,055 times
All of the hospitals are pretty good to work for as a health system. What you need to do is apply and interview then ask specific questions around workplace morale. That is very important. You can usually find benefit information online. Since I worked at Duke I can tell you to go to https://hr.duke.edu.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:58 AM

LordHelmit, love the name : )
I'm definitely interested in Duke Raleigh, they are just not hiring right now that I could find

Old 10-04-2019, 03:26 PM

916 posts, read 879,214 times
If you work for UNC, you would likely be a state employee, which has its ups (pension) and downs (health insurance).

Old 10-04-2019, 04:27 PM

Bullcity75, do you know what the approximate monthly cost is for health benefits for a family of four? Just curious

Old 10-04-2019, 05:30 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janaeruiz View Post
Bullcity75, do you know what the approximate monthly cost is for health benefits for a family of four? Just curious

I'm not sure about other hospitals, but for WakeMed - the rate for a full-time employee plus family for health insurance is 255.95 deducted from the payback every 2 weeks. So monthly cost is over $500. Dental and vision are extra but the cost is minimal.

You need to research which place offers the best salary for your particular job and industry. Let me give you a few examples. Working at UNC and Duke proper are teaching hospitals and many positions are very low in salary. I guess people love to say they work at UNC or Duke.

On the other hand, UNC Rex, WakeMed, Duke Raleigh (the UNC and Duke branded places are bought out by them but don't go by main campus salary rules) are pretty good with salaries for many positions, but could be the same as the teaching hospitals.

DO NOT think that just because you are working at Duke which is such a good name in the country, that you are working at a good job with a good salary. Research everything.

Don't put this messageboard as reliable info, only a tiny fraction of Triangle residents even read this board.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:39 PM

368 posts, read 534,840 times
Never regretted being a federal government employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or