U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:11 AM

28 posts, read 11,319 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all the replies. Definitely a lot to think about. We just bought our house last year so we would have to see how much money we would lose if we sold it. I would not bring CA with me. I would actually be thrilled to live in a swing state. I would blend in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 11:06 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,427,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janaeruiz View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies. Definitely a lot to think about. We just bought our house last year so we would have to see how much money we would lose if we sold it. I would not bring CA with me. I would actually be thrilled to live in a swing state. I would blend in!
Well you think you would but I am originally from Tx and I will NEVER go back to the south . Just not ever .
I have known many people from Ca to go to Texas and to the south thinking they are very conservative or even in the middle to find out just how conservative they are not . You will see that Cal is really NOT oppressive as one poster here stated at all . More to life than the price of car tags ....

Lower cost of living is also not always the greatest , you will also have a lower quality of life and a lack of services you are used to or take for granted here . I have lived worldwide , non military and the southern US is just not on the list of high points .
I had to "do one year of time" in Southern Oregon ( worse than jail ) and that was like one long klan rally.
I am really grateful to be back in Cal . Visit for awhile first , maybe a few times .

Old 10-05-2019, 11:18 AM

64 posts, read 29,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
If you can get out of debt you’d be surprised at how much money you have even in expensive California. And if you think you don’t have enough money to start paying down debt, start looking at what you spend during a month. I had a friend that was spending $100 a month at Starbucks.

I’ve lived a few places around the country. If you move, don’t start telling people how much better things are in California. For example, don’t tell the natives that Mexican food is so much better in California. I’ve seen people do things like that and it’s the fastest way to get them to hate you.

Good luck!

Agree. If you are dealing with debt now, working on your budget will help you find keep more money wherever you end up.

Also, consider how you will do in other climates. I'm currently in Maryland and have a very hard time in winter. We are here because of my husband's job - we thought we would retire here because the COL is lower - but we will be moving west when he retires. The summers are also very hot. You spend a good 5-6 months indoors on the east coast - and some people might be okay with that. There are a lot of cons for us.

If you have a pet, be prepared to do major tick control. Bugs are plentiful out here. As is the rain. Hurricanes. Earthquakes. Tornadoes.

Just be sure to look at the big picture outside of just finances. Move from California if you don't like it. But the COL is just one piece of the puzzle. I think the weather is worth the COL for me personally.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:20 AM

64 posts, read 29,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Well you think you would but I am originally from Tx and I will NEVER go back to the south . Just not ever .
I have known many people from Ca to go to Texas and to the south thinking they are very conservative or even in the middle to find out just how conservative they are not . You will see that Cal is really NOT oppressive as one poster here stated at all . More to life than the price of car tags ....

Lower cost of living is also not always the greatest , you will also have a lower quality of life and a lack of services you are used to or take for granted here . I have lived worldwide , non military and the southern US is just not on the list of high points .
I had to "do one year of time" in Southern Oregon ( worse than jail ) and that was like one long klan rally.
I am really grateful to be back in Cal . Visit for awhile first , maybe a few times .

Good points all around!

Also, there are plenty of areas in California that would provide a lower COL. If you wanted to stay in state.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:35 AM

80,088 posts, read 73,067,091 times
I've rented out a family-sized home, and used a management company. There were never issues with damage or the house being dirty. (They inspect annually, or as often as local laws allow.). The only issue that came up once, was when a teen chronically failed to use the bathroom fan when showering, and there was condensation on the walls regularly. That's potential water damage over time. I was on good terms with the renter, and so I happened to see that when at the house chatting, and asked him to make sure the teen used the fan.This is easily resolved by having the fan go on automatically when the bathroom lights are on, though.

If your yard requires regular watering, it's best to hire a service to do that. You can avoid some damage/dirt issues, by not allowing pets.

The one thing about property management outfits I found, was that they like to jack up the rent annually, claiming that's needed to keep up with market values. Well, all that achieves is that good renters move out, so you have chronic turnover. They make their money by advertising and screening new tenants. When you get good renters, it's best to keep the rent stable, so you don't get turnover. The month that the company's advertising and taking applications, is a month you're stuck with paying the mortgage out-of-pocket.

Also, if any significant repairs or upgrades need to be made, you should get involved yourself, and interview and choose the individual or company to do the work. Otherwise, the management co. will always pick the low bid, and you'll find your property deteriorating in quality over time.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:04 PM

18,181 posts, read 11,228,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janaeruiz View Post
Hi everyone! Just kind of looking for general advice and opinions. We are a family of four living in LA county. We've lived here most of our lives. I'm in healthcare (ultrasound) and my husband does IT. We have a combined income of over $200,000 but we are still struggling with a high mortgage, daycare, car payments ECT. We are considering moving our family to an area that has a lower cost of living, specifically Raleigh, NC. I feel like I have a really good job but somehow it doesn't pay the bills. They have affordable housing, lots of jobs and a two-hour trip to the beach. But it would mean taking a definite pay cut, leaving family behind and having to rent out our house (which seems very stressful to me). Has anyone had any experience picking up and leaving CA for a lower cost of living? There's plenty of reasons to move and plenty of reasons not to move.
O moved from SoCal years ago to NC. The area you are looking at has many advantages and the cost of living will be less for sure. They do have a State income tax and a tax on car registration, but still lower than CA over all so the lower pay may not be an issue. Housing is much lower.

I would not rent the house of you live in NC, just sell and do the best you can. Too far away to be able to see what is happening, even with a management company.

Leaving Family can be a big issue if you are very close to them and visit regularly. Ask the how they feel about it.

In the end make a list of pros and cons in CA VS NC, rate them on a 1 to 5 scale and see which works the best. I did this 2 years ago and chose not to move back to CA, but actually to FL.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Great advice everyone! Thank you so so much. We're going to visit Raleigh next weekend.
As one person said, COL is only one piece of the puzzle. I spoke with my dad and he seemed ok. My mom would be very very upset. My husband's parents would miss us but they are ok if we go. I would miss my job a lot. It pays well, coworkers are great and the doctors I work with are wonderful. but I know that there are good jobs that I can get in NC as well. The house is the main issue. My husband is set on renting it out but I think that would be very costly and stressful.
I have made tons of lists pros/cons/logistics like one person suggested, but I haven't scored each item 1 to 5 which I think is a great idea

Old 10-05-2019, 12:27 PM

I definitely agree that you shouldn't jack up the rent each year unless you need to. Hold on to those good renters!

Old 10-05-2019, 01:04 PM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
Tell your husband to go read the rental forum here on CD and then see how he feels about renting out your house.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:11 PM

917 posts, read 382,080 times
I would strongly advise against owning rental property 3,000 miles away.

My only other advise is to carefully research wage rates in NC, versus the difference in COL.

Also, here's an existing similar thread:

Californians that have moved to Cary North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or