U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 03:29 PM

13,381 posts, read 24,921,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janaeruiz View Post
That's a great point. I've read some articles saying that prices in Raleigh-Durham are on the rise similar to what happened in Denver and Seattle. There are lots of jobs there so you may sitting on a gold mine : )
We bought a house in LA in 2008 after the crash and stayed in it until 2018 so we made some money off of it and used it toward our new house but when you sell high and buy high it's kind of a wash; especially if you're upgrading which we did. Now what would've been great was to sell the house in LA and go directly to Raleigh but I hadn't thought about moving out of state just yet. Oh well! We really have so much to be grateful for no matter where we are.
OP, don't underestimate how bad the humidity can be. I mean, yeah, you can adapt and get used to living with it, but I have one little anecdote to share.

I'm 35. I spent the first 20 years of my life in the Inland Empire. Spent 3 years in the Mojave Desert. Been all over the west, have felt Phoenix and Vegas in the mid 110's on numerous occasions. Been to the Midwest and even some parts of the South during summer, etc.

I landed in DC about 6 weeks ago. It was 97F with a dewpoint in the mid-70's. IT WAS THE WORST THING I HAD EVER FELT IN MY LIFE. AND IT CAN GET WORSE!

Honestly, you can do so much better as it relates to financial gains (i.e. moving somewhere cheaper than Raleigh, which isn't cheap).

There's so much more to a place than what it can do for you financially. If you love LA County, don't leave. If there's somewhere else you like A LOT (or at least stay up all night dreaming about) where you can put yourself in a better financial situation, then explore moving there.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:32 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,065,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post

I landed in DC about 6 weeks ago. It was 97F with a dewpoint in the mid-70's. IT WAS THE WORST THING I HAD EVER FELT IN MY LIFE. AND IT CAN GET WORSE!
That's a little dramatic. It's certainly not the most pleasant thing in the world, but I'll take it over cold any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That's a little dramatic. It's certainly not the most pleasant thing in the world, but I'll take it over cold any day.

Not me, but that's why we all like different places (and thankfully all don't live in the same place ).

Old 10-05-2019, 04:12 PM

28 posts, read 11,319 times
Quote:
OP, don't underestimate how bad the humidity can be. I mean, yeah, you can adapt and get used to living with it, but I have one little anecdote to share.

I'm 35. I spent the first 20 years of my life in the Inland Empire. Spent 3 years in the Mojave Desert. Been all over the west, have felt Phoenix and Vegas in the mid 110's on numerous occasions. Been to the Midwest and even some parts of the South during summer, etc.

Honestly, you can do so much better as it relates to financial gains (i.e. moving somewhere cheaper than Raleigh, which isn't cheap).

There's so much more to a place than what it can do for you financially. If you love LA County, don't leave. If there's somewhere else you like A LOT (or at least stay up all night dreaming about) where you can put yourself in a better financial situation, then explore moving there.
I will admit that I went to DC in August 2016 for my brother's graduation and it was intense. But we were walking for miles and doing sightseeing so that definitely added to the aggravation. I really can't be outside either way, extremely high humidity or high temperatures. So in that area it's a lateral move. I do like it here but I see that other places in the US can be just as good. I appreciate everyone's opinions. Thank you so much

Old 10-05-2019, 04:25 PM

765 posts, read 1,430,562 times
California is both socially and economically oppressive. Maybe you just don't see it if you're native to this state since it's like the boiling frog fable. You just don't realize what's happening to you and what the state of things are elsewhere. The only draw to this state that hasn't been ruined so far is the climate. This state had it all 50 years ago but has been run right into the ground.

You've got state sanctioned fascists in black ninja garb (antifa) beating the hell out of people at political rallies. You've got medieval diseases like Typhus, Measles, and even the Black Plague making a comeback in LA. Our driver's license can't even serve as federal identification next year because we've given them to illegal aliens on demand so that they can illegally vote in elections. We've given illegal aliens special status/protections that our own citizens don't have. Things are 10x worse in the corporate world -- every type of person that it would be common sense not to hire is given protected status -- the mentally ill, the felons, the transvestites (or transgenders -- what's the diff?), the drug addicts, the alcoholics, the homeless, the disabled, etc.

In additional to all of the taxes, why are we paying $1.50 more per gallon on gas than the rest of the country when they literally pump the oil out out of the ground in this state. Why did the state sue our #1 power provider (PG&E) into bankruptcy? There are now power blackouts in this state just to prevent lawsuits. Rolling blackouts are not a normal thing in other states. Such things are generally associated with third world countries. It's not uncommon to see fees here itemized as "cost of doing business in CA".

Jumbo loans aren't "normal" in other parts of the country as they have become in this state. Traditional 15/30 yr mortgages are. 60-90 minute commutes to work are not normal in most places in this country. HOV lanes are also not normal in most parts of the country. Background checks on ammunition, the banning of plastic straws, and the mandated purchase of shopping bags are not normal. Homeless encampments are not normal. If you're a California native who thinks this is normal then you're in the same condition that the frog was in the fable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Well you think you would but I am originally from Tx and I will NEVER go back to the south . Just not ever .
I have known many people from Ca to go to Texas and to the south thinking they are very conservative or even in the middle to find out just how conservative they are not . You will see that Cal is really NOT oppressive as one poster here stated at all . More to life than the price of car tags ....

Lower cost of living is also not always the greatest , you will also have a lower quality of life and a lack of services you are used to or take for granted here . I have lived worldwide , non military and the southern US is just not on the list of high points .
I had to "do one year of time" in Southern Oregon ( worse than jail ) and that was like one long klan rally.
I am really grateful to be back in Cal . Visit for awhile first , maybe a few times .

Old 10-05-2019, 04:33 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,065,431 times
Did two threads get merged or something? I'm confused by all the CA people in here lol.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Did two threads get merged or something? I'm confused by all the CA people in here lol.
This was posted in the CA forum originally, I moved it here; moving to Raleigh might be more applicable to OP than moving from CA.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:52 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,220,957 times
I moved our family (from family) to Raleigh 35 years ago. Within a year my only regret was not doing it years before. Raleigh is a completely different city today but for the most part an even better city. I feel confident if you make this move your only regret will be you didn't do it sooner.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
This was posted in the CA forum originally, I moved it here; moving to Raleigh might be more applicable to OP than moving from CA.
Thank you for doing that!

Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
California is both socially and economically oppressive. Maybe you just don't see it if you're native to this state since it's like the boiling frog fable. You just don't realize what's happening to you and what the state of things are elsewhere. The only draw to this state that hasn't been ruined so far is the climate. This state had it all 50 years ago but has been run right into the ground.

You've got state sanctioned fascists in black ninja garb (antifa) beating the hell out of people at political rallies. You've got medieval diseases like Typhus, Measles, and even the Black Plague making a comeback in LA. Our driver's license can't even serve as federal identification next year because we've given them to illegal aliens on demand so that they can illegally vote in elections. We've given illegal aliens special status/protections that our own citizens don't have. Things are 10x worse in the corporate world -- every type of person that it would be common sense not to hire is given protected status -- the mentally ill, the felons, the transvestites (or transgenders -- what's the diff?), the drug addicts, the alcoholics, the homeless, the disabled, etc.

In additional to all of the taxes, why are we paying $1.50 more per gallon on gas than the rest of the country when they literally pump the oil out out of the ground in this state. Why did the state sue our #1 power provider (PG&E) into bankruptcy? There are now power blackouts in this state just to prevent lawsuits. Rolling blackouts are not a normal thing in other states. Such things are generally associated with third world countries. It's not uncommon to see fees here itemized as "cost of doing business in CA".

Jumbo loans aren't "normal" in other parts of the country as they have become in this state. Traditional 15/30 yr mortgages are. 60-90 minute commutes to work are not normal in most places in this country. HOV lanes are also not normal in most parts of the country. Background checks on ammunition, the banning of plastic straws, and the mandated purchase of shopping bags are not normal. Homeless encampments are not normal. If you're a California native who thinks this is normal then you're in the same condition that the frog was in the fable.
Hopefully you are considering a move. Sounds like you are very unhappy in CA

Last edited by Count David; 10-05-2019 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: fixed quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or