Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 08:52 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I gotta admit, when it was 100 degrees on Thursday this week or whatever day it as, it really wasn't overly noticeable because it wasn't humid. When it's 95 and humid it's a different story. That being said, unless you work outside, it's really not a big deal.

also it's freaking October so the angle of the sun is much lower. My house didn't even get as hot as it would over the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
California is both socially and economically oppressive. Maybe you just don't see it if you're native to this state since it's like the boiling frog fable. You just don't realize what's happening to you and what the state of things are elsewhere. The only draw to this state that hasn't been ruined so far is the climate. This state had it all 50 years ago but has been run right into the ground.

You've got state sanctioned fascists in black ninja garb (antifa) beating the hell out of people at political rallies. You've got medieval diseases like Typhus, Measles, and even the Black Plague making a comeback in LA. Our driver's license can't even serve as federal identification next year because we've given them to illegal aliens on demand so that they can illegally vote in elections. We've given illegal aliens special status/protections that our own citizens don't have. Things are 10x worse in the corporate world -- every type of person that it would be common sense not to hire is given protected status -- the mentally ill, the felons, the transvestites (or transgenders -- what's the diff?), the drug addicts, the alcoholics, the homeless, the disabled, etc.

In additional to all of the taxes, why are we paying $1.50 more per gallon on gas than the rest of the country when they literally pump the oil out out of the ground in this state. Why did the state sue our #1 power provider (PG&E) into bankruptcy? There are now power blackouts in this state just to prevent lawsuits. Rolling blackouts are not a normal thing in other states. Such things are generally associated with third world countries. It's not uncommon to see fees here itemized as "cost of doing business in CA".

Jumbo loans aren't "normal" in other parts of the country as they have become in this state. Traditional 15/30 yr mortgages are. 60-90 minute commutes to work are not normal in most places in this country. HOV lanes are also not normal in most parts of the country. Background checks on ammunition, the banning of plastic straws, and the mandated purchase of shopping bags are not normal. Homeless encampments are not normal. If you're a California native who thinks this is normal then you're in the same condition that the frog was in the fable.

Since you quoted me I have to say that this is a VERY bizarre post .
If you feel this way why are you still here ??
I see alot of these types of posts yet they never leave here .
Actually my commute in Seattle FAR topped LA , yep. . Same in Houston too back in 1990 , 60-90 commutes are VERY normal these days .
The paragraph about the state sanctioned fascists dressed in black is just off the hook , there are activists against what is wrong in this country in every single state . Every state . You are wrong , ill informed and your thinking old and outdated about people .
I suggest you step outside the safety zone here and try it somewhere else .

Old 10-07-2019, 02:37 PM

28 posts, read 17,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Since you quoted me I have to say that this is a VERY bizarre post .
If you feel this way why are you still here ??
I see alot of these types of posts yet they never leave here .
Actually my commute in Seattle FAR topped LA , yep. . Same in Houston too back in 1990 , 60-90 commutes are VERY normal these days .
The paragraph about the state sanctioned fascists dressed in black is just off the hook , there are activists against what is wrong in this country in every single state . Every state . You are wrong , ill informed and your thinking old and outdated about people .
I suggest you step outside the safety zone here and try it somewhere else .
I do wonder why people don't leave if they hate CA so much. I like CA. It's just getting very costly so we are looking into different areas.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janaeruiz View Post
I do wonder why people don't leave if they hate CA so much. I like CA. It's just getting very costly so we are looking into different areas.
Yeah, but you are among the few that can make it work with your exceptional income.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:24 PM

781 posts, read 743,426 times
While I am not from California, I lived out there fairly recently. I do miss all of the amazing things (weather, scenic spots, always stuff to do) about Southern California, but it wasn’t my home. The housing prices, crime, homeless helped drive us out. I feel a lot safer in NC as I am originally from a town in the north that would often show up in low crime lists, so that is important to me personally.

We were also in another southern state that was a horrid fit for us, it was chock full of rednecks and people that refuse to speak English. Found it impossible to find common ground with anyone!

After that state, I really did NOT want to go to another red state as I’m a left leaning moderate from the northeast, but I’m fairly content to be in Raleigh. I find this place to be moderate, but if you go 45 mins outside of Raleigh it’s a different story.

The newer housing is what drew me in and affordable (to us) pricing. I have found a couple of friends with values I can relate to, which helps me feel more comfortable here.

Yes, it is hot, to me it seems like the worst is from late May to late September. It can get quite boring here that time of the year as I am not a pool person. I love winters here, but it is a tad cold, nothing too bad though! I have experienced the CA desert/ Vegas 115 degree heat on a few occasions, to me I’m not going outside in that or a hot July day here either. To me they are both miserable.

If you have a family, this is a great place to be and for raising kids. Do you have a large support network in CA? Losing that is tough. I agree with others, might be best to really try to budget and see if you can make it work where you are.

I agree with others, I would not want to rent my place out from across the country.

I don’t have the luxury of going home to the northeast because there aren’t appropriate jobs in my affordable hometown for my spouse. No regrets from me so far on coming here! I’m not madly in love with Raleigh, but I don’t dislike it either.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
While I am not from California, I lived out there fairly recently. I do miss all of the amazing things (weather, scenic spots, always stuff to do) about Southern California, but it wasn’t my home. The housing prices, crime, homeless helped drive us out. I feel a lot safer in NC as I am originally from a town in the north that would often show up in low crime lists, so that is important to me personally.

We were also in another southern state that was a horrid fit for us, it was chock full of rednecks and people that refuse to speak English. Found it impossible to find common ground with anyone!

After that state, I really did NOT want to go to another red state as I’m a left leaning moderate from the northeast, but I’m fairly content to be in Raleigh. I find this place to be moderate, but if you go 45 mins outside of Raleigh it’s a different story.

The newer housing is what drew me in and affordable (to us) pricing. I have found a couple of friends with values I can relate to, which helps me feel more comfortable here.

Yes, it is hot, to me it seems like the worst is from late May to late September. It can get quite boring here that time of the year as I am not a pool person. I love winters here, but it is a tad cold, nothing too bad though! I have experienced the CA desert/ Vegas 115 degree heat on a few occasions, to me I’m not going outside in that or a hot July day here either. To me they are both miserable.

If you have a family, this is a great place to be and for raising kids. Do you have a large support network in CA? Losing that is tough. I agree with others, might be best to really try to budget and see if you can make it work where you are.

I agree with others, I would not want to rent my place out from across the country.

I don’t have the luxury of going home to the northeast because there aren’t appropriate jobs in my affordable hometown for my spouse. No regrets from me so far on coming here! I’m not madly in love with Raleigh, but I don’t dislike it either.
Thank you for all that. We will see what happens in the future. I am beginning to see the value of being here and making it work. Both our parents are here. I haven't been able to find a job in Raleigh that matches the one I have here, benefits wise. When my kids turn 5 and go to elementary school then I can dump that $2,000 a month child care bill. We are going to visit Raleigh this weekend. So we will see what we think. In the end we will go with our gut and what we think is best financially

Old 10-08-2019, 02:14 PM

781 posts, read 743,426 times
Good luck with your visit! Be sure to check on daycare costs here as well, a neighbor had told me they are quite high. Wish I remembered the dollar amount! At the very least, you will have great weather on your trip.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Good luck with your visit! Be sure to check on daycare costs here as well, a neighbor had told me they are quite high. Wish I remembered the dollar amount! At the very least, you will have great weather on your trip.
Thank you. I have looked into childcare cost they are only slightly lower than here

Old 10-17-2019, 08:37 PM

84 posts, read 87,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
OP, don't underestimate how bad the humidity can be. I mean, yeah, you can adapt and get used to living with it, but I have one little anecdote to share.

I'm 35. I spent the first 20 years of my life in the Inland Empire. Spent 3 years in the Mojave Desert. Been all over the west, have felt Phoenix and Vegas in the mid 110's on numerous occasions. Been to the Midwest and even some parts of the South during summer, etc.

I landed in DC about 6 weeks ago. It was 97F with a dewpoint in the mid-70's. IT WAS THE WORST THING I HAD EVER FELT IN MY LIFE. AND IT CAN GET WORSE!

Honestly, you can do so much better as it relates to financial gains (i.e. moving somewhere cheaper than Raleigh, which isn't cheap).

There's so much more to a place than what it can do for you financially. If you love LA County, don't leave. If there's somewhere else you like A LOT (or at least stay up all night dreaming about) where you can put yourself in a better financial situation, then explore moving there.

This, this, this. At least from my perspective also. You cannot put a price on low humidity. I'm looking at relocating to Colorado right now.

To the OP .... I lived in LA for about 10 years and moved with my wife and daughter back in 2012 to Durham NC. I've been trying to to get my wife to move from day 1. I used to love the outdoors, and now I'm a shut in. Well maybe not as much lately since fall is kicking in, but really, the weather does suck IMO. Especially after being spoiled in SoCal.
This is just my personal experience, but if you value nice weather, good Mexican food (the best Mexican food here is Amy's in the frozen section) and being close to friends and family, then think really hard before you move.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:49 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
I would strongly advise you to sell your house not rent it. We've tried renting through a management company and it was mistake. Lot of repairs and had a lot to do to put the home on the market.

From what I understand, housing market is strong in L.A. Get the house ready to sell, declutter, stage, whatever, enjoy the holidays with your family, get the house ready to list by the end of February.

When it sells, make your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary