U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 02:08 PM

554 posts, read 661,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Good thing to have left Wilmington!

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news...in-wilmington/

Clicking the photo may make your eyes hurt...
I've heard a few too many of those tasty cheeseclazones will do strange thing to yer mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 02:16 PM

4,740 posts, read 3,145,823 times
I always check Google Maps or Waze before I go on a trip somewhere just to check traffic conditions

Old 10-05-2019, 02:22 PM

319 posts, read 136,305 times
Default There needs to be more enforcement

Regarding the bad driving in the traffic, I doubt anything will improve until the police decide to up the enforcement of traffic laws.

I went to Goodberry's last night, and on the way home I saw three bad drivers within 5 minutes on Leesville. One guy cut across 3 lanes of traffic because he decided to turn right at a light instead of left at the last second. Another guy was in the lane to turn onto 540, and at the last second decided he wanted to go straight, almost swerved into my lane until I blew my horn at him (and I RARELY blow my horn as it's impolite).

There was another incident where a car kept drifting 1 foot into my lane and I had to lay on the horn again. And this car was a WAKE COUNTY SHERRIF'S DEPUTY. Too many idiots. They don't obey traffic laws, and the cops are just as bad.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:27 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,439,913 times
Opinion: too many people using/commenting on WAZE, on tiny screens--distracting them, and causing last-second lane changes, etc!

Many newer cars with advanced electronics let WAZE and Google maps go on the big screen, but it does take some geek skills.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:58 PM

917 posts, read 382,080 times
Quote:

???????

Not a good thing to come to Raleigh!

https://www.wral.com/separate-shooti...eigh/18676047/

Old 10-05-2019, 06:16 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,342,855 times
North on an east west road.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:35 PM

122 posts, read 50,068 times
Quote:

That photo is one he uses on Grindr, I've seen it
in all seriousness, WTF?

Old 10-05-2019, 07:31 PM

397 posts, read 159,738 times
Default If it makes you feel any better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I just spent another hour searching all the projects, maps, TIMS website, selection by county region, I-40, etc.........nothing I can find on the NCDOT website. Again this was West-bound, I-40 coming towards Raleigh, past I-95 by about 5-10 miles approx 25-27 miles south of Raleigh. "Right lane closed". If someone wanted to find information about whatever this is/was/is going to be.....good luck.
Dean, to ease your agony, let me share this tale of I40. A number of years ago I returned from Wilmington to Raleigh via I40. It was Labor Day afternoon and I knew traffic would be heavy. About five miles out of Wilmington, traffic slowed to a crawl. I figured there was an accident, but no. I kept looking for an accident around each curve, Nada. Two hours up the road, people were pulling onto the shoulder to go relieve themselves in the bushes since no one had planned to be on the road so long. The stop and roll continued all the way to the NC42 exit and beyond. I didn't have GPS at the time nor a road map, so I couldn't figure another route. I exited at 42 and made my way home via NC50 through Garner.

The trip took a little over four hours. I40 was a parking lot from Wilmington to Raleigh. No bad weather, no accidents, no construction. I later asked a friend who lives in Wilmington if he had heard anything about why this happened. His response was "It's always like that on summer holiday weekends."

Old 10-06-2019, 03:27 AM

5,210 posts, read 3,456,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Coming north on I-40 west yesterday 2pm from Wilmington. Should be between 1:45 and 2 hour drive (136 miles). Everything fine until around 27 miles south of Raleigh. Signs forever saying the right lane is closed ahead. I get in the left lane, but nobody else seems to. Finally get to the CLUSTER **** and of course come to a stand-still for 40 minutes in 100 degree heat, no AC, car overheating, people losing their sh*t, driving on the shoulder, cutting across the median to turn around, slamming on their brakes, tailgating, honking.....it was one of the worst traffic backups I have ever experienced. I waited until 1pm to leave so that I would not have to deal with rush hour traffic. Searched the NC DOT traffic information / travel website and I can't find anything about this. Whatever is going on, it should be a night-only project. Had I known I would have done almost anything to avoid what I went through. I would have driven in the middle of the night, taken an alternative route - anything would have been better.
I looked on NCDOT's progress report page, and it appears to be a rehab project (Contract #: C203977) between Cleveland Road near NC-42 and Morgan Road near Benson. It was supposed to have been finished this summer, but it's behind schedule and the revised completion date is now 2-10-2020.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/traffictravel...LocSearch.aspx

Old 10-06-2019, 09:13 AM

1,424 posts, read 763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I drove the same route, only a couple hours ahead of you. The cones were out many more miles than they needed to (eg - no one working, no equipment in sight as far as you could see, etc).
Saw the same thing the last few times we drove down from the north, no construction or workers for miles and miles of it resulting in much more time on the trips and unnecessarily from what I could tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or