U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 03:03 PM

34,290 posts, read 59,604,944 times

Advertisements

WBU on Kildaire Farm road, between Harris Teeter and Walmart...
I bought an Eliminator feeder. My seed money goes to the birds.

https://www.wbu.com/products/squirrel-proof/

We've had it for almost 3 years, and it totally defeats squirrels. Also, you can set the sensitivity to exclude large birds:
"The Eliminator’s unique technology allows you to set the sensitivity level, so you can also exclude large birds such as pigeons or doves."

We get quite a few bluebirds, even with no bluebird boxes or any other special accommodations for them.
I don't feed mealworms, either. Just quality WBU seed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 03:49 PM

10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times
I got the Fundamentals Squirrel Proof from the Chapel Hill Wild Birds Unlimited a year or so ago and have been very pleased with it. https://order.wbu.com//bird-feeders/...-proof-feeders

I was not looking for 100% squirrel proof as I don't mind feeding them a little bit, but I was looking for slowing down them and the deer who come chow down daily.

We used to have bluebirds who nested yearly in a bluebird house on our deck, but a flying squirrel took it over and enlarged the opening and they moved on. I do still see them at the feeder occasionally. I don't feed meal worms, but do sometimes get the Bluebird Nuggets from Southern States in Carrboro. https://www.southernstates.com/catal...-nuggets-27-oz

And to answer someone's question, yes I do get bluebirds at our tube feeders. I don't feed from platform feeders because the squirrels and deer would wipe me out in 30 seconds. My yard is too wooded to effectively have a pole feeder that is squirrel proof. There's always a tree they can jump from.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:00 PM

49 posts, read 41,645 times
that Eliminator feeder looks pretty interesting, although I never get doves at my feeders anyway. they just wander around the ground hoping the smaller birds have dropped some seed. Might be nice to have at least one feeder that the squirrels can't get into!

Old 10-07-2019, 04:53 PM

7,007 posts, read 8,346,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
If you feed mealworms, how do you do it and where did you get your feeder and worms? I have seen feeders online for $75 but I'd like to buy local and spend less than that if I can.
You can get a good mealworm feeder for less than $25. I have one by Pacific Bird&Supply...model PB-0037...it's galvanized and for around $24 on Amazon. Tractor Supply on-line has another good one by Royal Wing...model 20146RW. It's a nice looking ceramic feeder for around $19.

I buy dried mealworms on Amazon by Kimoe. I buy in 5lb bags and save a ton. They're for chickens, ducks and wild birds. The bluebirds love them.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:03 AM

1,343 posts, read 841,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
When you mention mealworms, are you referring to the dry ones of the wet?

Probably dry. The look of them already turns my stomach slightly, I don't know if I could handle "wet" (shudder)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
WBU on Kildaire Farm road, between Harris Teeter and Walmart...
I bought an Eliminator feeder. My seed money goes to the birds.

https://www.wbu.com/products/squirrel-proof/

We've had it for almost 3 years, and it totally defeats squirrels. Also, you can set the sensitivity to exclude large birds:
"The Eliminator’s unique technology allows you to set the sensitivity level, so you can also exclude large birds such as pigeons or doves."

We get quite a few bluebirds, even with no bluebird boxes or any other special accommodations for them.
I don't feed mealworms, either. Just quality WBU seed.

Wow that seems like a great solution although the price... am I just out of touch, is this what a good feeder costs these days? I suppose if it lasts and works, it's better than buying a bunch of other feeders that don't work.

It really does seem to be just the solution I"m looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
You can get a good mealworm feeder for less than $25. I have one by Pacific Bird&Supply...model PB-0037...it's galvanized and for around $24 on Amazon. Tractor Supply on-line has another good one by Royal Wing...model 20146RW. It's a nice looking ceramic feeder for around $19.

I buy dried mealworms on Amazon by Kimoe. I buy in 5lb bags and save a ton. They're for chickens, ducks and wild birds. The bluebirds love them.

Thank you! I'l look into these too, those model numbers are really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I got the Fundamentals Squirrel Proof from the Chapel Hill Wild Birds Unlimited a year or so ago and have been very pleased with it. https://order.wbu.com//bird-feeders/...-proof-feeders

I was not looking for 100% squirrel proof as I don't mind feeding them a little bit, but I was looking for slowing down them and the deer who come chow down daily.

We used to have bluebirds who nested yearly in a bluebird house on our deck, but a flying squirrel took it over and enlarged the opening and they moved on. I do still see them at the feeder occasionally. I don't feed meal worms, but do sometimes get the Bluebird Nuggets from Southern States in Carrboro. https://www.southernstates.com/catal...-nuggets-27-oz

And to answer someone's question, yes I do get bluebirds at our tube feeders. I don't feed from platform feeders because the squirrels and deer would wipe me out in 30 seconds. My yard is too wooded to effectively have a pole feeder that is squirrel proof. There's always a tree they can jump from.

The squirrels leave my other feeder alone so I don't know if I will have a big problem but I figure with my fruit trees and shrubs, they're already getting their fair share from my yard.

I didn't know they'd hang out at tube feeders, and eat seed, so if I place one closeby to where I see them in the yard, hopefully I'll lure them. Thanks!

Old 10-08-2019, 08:38 AM

10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times
The bluebird nuggets are not seed. They are a suet ball, about the size of a kibble of dog food/diameter of a dime, that you can put in a bird feeder. I get them at the Southern States in Carrboro, but I think everybody from Chewy to Amazon to Walmart carries them. I usually just mix up a big batch of black oil sunflower seed, some fancier food with nuts and dried fruit, and the blue bird nuggets and I seem to get a good crowd. You can get suet cakes with the mealworms in it if you don't want to mess with the worms themselves, but my bluebirds will come for the nuggets. I don't see tons of bluebirds, but they do come.

I don't feed year round because I get tired of the deer and the squirrels eating it all up in a single night, so I take a break in the summer and fall when there are lots of bugs and nuts and acorns and seeds around. I will start up again soon. I do have water out now. Maybe deer and squirrels wouldn't eat the plain mealworms — doesn't seem like deer or squirrel food. But man, they do a number on my seed feeders. Somebody eats my suet cakes at night too. Not sure if its deer or squirrels or raccoons or possums, or all of the above. We have them all in the yard, plus chipmunks, who love to get whatever spills on the ground. Hopefully no bears will come through! They looooove birdfeeders.

I don't know the WBU store over on your side of the Triangle, but the one in Chapel Hill is very good and would have advice for your situation so I bet the one near you would too. I'd go check it out.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:01 AM

3,647 posts, read 4,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
that Eliminator feeder looks pretty interesting, although I never get doves at my feeders anyway. they just wander around the ground hoping the smaller birds have dropped some seed. Might be nice to have at least one feeder that the squirrels can't get into!

I have had the Eliminator and Squirrel Buster brands and both work very well at keeping the squirrels out. It is fun to try to watch them figure them out, only to get frustrated and jump off.

One tip on buying seed - if it has any millet in it, don't buy it. The birds just pick this stuff out, then it sprouts once on the ground. Like spending extra on a good feeder, spend the extra money on the good food.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 AM

4,238 posts, read 10,210,093 times
Those eliminator style feeders do work really well. The one I had was from Amazon, although I know I didn't pay that much at the time:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've pretty much given up on feeding the birds in my backyard. There are either picky birds dumping it out on the ground where the squirrels vacuum it up, or house sparrows hogging the feeder and keeping the other more desirable birds away. Those little pigs can eat a lot of food! I may put out some suet when it gets colder, and I did put a bird bath out since it's been so dry lately.

Anyhow, those feeders will definitely work to keep the squirrels out of the feeder. It can't force the rest of the birds to behave though. ;-)

Old 10-08-2019, 09:50 AM

34,290 posts, read 59,604,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have had the Eliminator and Squirrel Buster brands and both work very well at keeping the squirrels out. It is fun to try to watch them figure them out, only to get frustrated and jump off.

One tip on buying seed - if it has any millet in it, don't buy it. The birds just pick this stuff out, then it sprouts once on the ground. Like spending extra on a good feeder, spend the extra money on the good food.

My feeder has claw marks on the top piece.

The squirrels jump for it and grab the top, and slide off like Wiley Coyote sliding down a cliff.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:54 AM

182 posts, read 133,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Just make sure you hang them far enough from any railing or wall. Mine kept getting emptied overnight and I couldn't figure out how the squirrels were doing it. I saw one clinging to the side so he didn't touch the ring that pulls it down, but one clever squirrel didn't seem like enough to keep emptying it every night. I discovered the real thief one night when I flipped on the porch lights to see a racoon sitting on my porch rail grabbing the feeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or