U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 09:19 AM

34 posts, read 18,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
and we're back to my "OMG, we have to go to Davis Drive!!" based on not one thing but that first # they put out. and how all that movement into what was it's base assignment zone creates #students>#capacity,. and thus reassignments.

so you are correct - overall, schools with higher ED kids have a grade lower than schools with unnaturally low ED %'s.

Alternatively ...

my kids and their friends have gone to schools which are currently B's & C's, but they're graduating a B-rated high school with high 4 GPA's, 1450+ SAT's, 34+ ACT's. And LOTS of extracurricular activities. And a very happy community. Just look at the teacher input from Broughton (33% ED) vs Green Hope (8.3% ED).
Let's not forget that Broughton is a magnet school and the school has a rather large endowment fund that they can use to supplement school programs. There are plenty of other high schools in Wake County with higher ED populations that do not have the advantage of magnet programming or wealthy alumni.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 10:46 AM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think what JONOV is trying to say is that if theoretically they went to town/city districts then you still see the same type of reassignments. Which my be true, but I think part of the problem currently is it's absolutely impossible for the county system to be on top of development across the county, which if course there is a boatload of. They make a lot of assumptions based on open land. I think a town based district would be a lot more in touch with development within its own borders which would in turn prevent some unnecessary reassignments.
Town based districts do make reassignments, I grew up in a town based district and went to 3 different elementary schools. But you're generally still at a school that's proximate to where you live. You wouldn't find kids traversing the distance from DDMS to ECMS unless there were no other option. In the town I grew up in, it's quite a hike to get from some parts of town to the middle school and high school, it's a big town, spread out, and there's only one of each of those schools in that district (although at one time there were 3 middle schools!). As I posted earlier I grew up in an exceptionally diverse town both racially and socioeconomically.

The town we moved here from is much smaller, geographically and population wise. Lilly white and overwhelmingly Christian (95 and 90% respectively or something like that). You want to hear endless complaining about everything? My goodness.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:25 PM

8,786 posts, read 6,577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't think they are breaking the district up, from what I'm reading on the WCPSS forums the problem is they are represented by Lindsay Mahaffey and Salem is in someone else's district (Fletcher? can't remember). At any rate, they are reassigning White Oak Preserve subdivision to Salem and that's not gonna be a quick ride, not to mention kids who go to Salem generally go to Apex HS and GHHS but WCPSS doesn't seem to care about a few handfuls of kids who might go to a high school of 3000 students and only know a few other kids when they get there. White Oak is zoned for Green Level.

The reassignment from White Oak Elementary (which just opened a couple of years ago and is way under capacity) also moves people from traditional calendar to year round, I think making people change schools is one thing - making them change schools AND calendars is a bit much. Last year when they wanted to move Davis Drive MS to East Cary, they at least changed East Cary to a traditional calendar (which many ECMS parents were unhappy about!)
RE the High Schools, I don't think that's as big of a deal, since you're already feeding several middle schools into most high schools. It's a time of change.

Quote:
I think what JONOV is trying to say is that if theoretically they went to town/city districts then you still see the same type of reassignments. Which my be true, but I think part of the problem currently is it's absolutely impossible for the county system to be on top of development across the county, which if course there is a boatload of. They make a lot of assumptions based on open land.
^^That's what I'm saying. If you break it up you're still going to have to deal with the growth/population changes.
My broader point is, that you'll never be able to guarantee 100% that your school won't change, anywhere you go, but the faster an area is growing the more of a reality it is.

Quote:
I think a town based district would be a lot more in touch with development within its own borders which would in turn prevent some unnecessary reassignments.
It's possible that they would be more in touch, but I don't think that there's a lot of development that goes on without the counties knowledge/approval (Though I could be mistaken.)

Even still, if you break them up by town or combined towns, you aren't going to solve the problem. If a theoretical "Town of Cary SD" or "Cary/Apex Combined SD" were formed, they'd still have to deal with some low income kids.

And schools like Davis Drive would continue to be extremely desirable not only for its reputation but because of its geographic proximity to where many families work, etc...

And since it's a growing area, you're going to have to expand and likely build schools.

So (as an example) the district builds a school further west off of SW Cary Parkway 3 miles away, and zones the southern part of DDE (Sherwood Greens) as part of the new school, as well as neighborhoods further west which would include a few apartment complexes housing a more diverse group of students. People might be upset that the new school is "Worse" by some metrics but aside from deporting the working class/poor out of Cary, no one has come up with a good solution.

And people miss that many of these less affluent parents chose to live where they lived because of the schools/better environment. They recognized that their kids had a better opportunity there. And these kids that don't do as well academically aren't going to vanish from the district.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:33 PM

8,786 posts, read 6,577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Town based districts do make reassignments, I grew up in a town based district and went to 3 different elementary schools. But you're generally still at a school that's proximate to where you live. You wouldn't find kids traversing the distance from DDMS to ECMS unless there were no other option.
I don't pretend to be privy to all the information or decision making metrics that WCPSS used, but I tend to think that if Salem or Turner Park or Laurel Park were viable options, they would have taken advantage of that. After all, it costs the district in terms of time and money for those buses.

And its possible that rather than shift students from five different middle schools, pushing everyone a little bit East, they decided to disrupt as few as possible and bus them farther from home.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:30 PM

4,084 posts, read 2,796,022 times
All these frustrations/concerns/explanations aside.....

Per the original question at hand....

Wake County (particularly western Wake County) parents have been vocally upset about the district's reassignments, long-distance and otherwise, for DECADES. Heck....my sister and I are only 3 years apart and were NEVER assigned to the same school; this going back to the mid 90s.

From the looks of things....it certainly hasn't suppressed RE values in the region. Whether that is in-spite of or in-conjunction with the perception of local public schools; one can only speculate.

I suppose the argument could be made that things are "nearing a tipping point'....but to be sure, as previously referenced, I know I've heard that talking point for at least the past 20 years myself and I don't doubt others have heard it longer.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:29 PM

10,625 posts, read 7,763,837 times
going back the question originally posted, if prized schools created the combination of highest price/highest appreciation rate, then they'd be ITB.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:32 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,065,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
going back the question originally posted, if prized schools created the combination of highest price/highest appreciation rate, then they'd be ITB.
Obviously there's other factors depending on the area - for ITB it's proximity to the city.

For Western Wake, it's schools and proximity to RTP if I were to guess.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't pretend to be privy to all the information or decision making metrics that WCPSS used, but I tend to think that if Salem or Turner Park or Laurel Park were viable options, they would have taken advantage of that. After all, it costs the district in terms of time and money for those buses.

And its possible that rather than shift students from five different middle schools, pushing everyone a little bit East, they decided to disrupt as few as possible and bus them farther from home.
Do you have kids in WCPSS? (no I don't think your opinion is irrelevant if you don't). It does change your perspective though. And full disclosure - I have one left in WCPSS but she will be a junior next year which takes us out of the reassignment game.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
From the looks of things....it certainly hasn't suppressed RE values in the region. Whether that is in-spite of or in-conjunction with the perception of local public schools; one can only speculate.
That's because people are "doing their research" but they aren't doing their proper research. Jim Martin, chair of the BOE, is on record as saying he wonders how they (the BOE) can keep people from buying western Wake. The most recent reassignment proposal is certainly evidence of how they plan to try.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:25 PM

10,625 posts, read 7,763,837 times
Quote:
Obviously there's other factors depending on the area - for ITB it's proximity to the city.

For Western Wake, it's schools and proximity to RTP if I were to guess.
the question was "effect on residential real estate and desirability". If where this has gone from the very beginning - schools and reassignments were the linchpin - then Western Wake would be higher priced.

the price of residential homes ITB is >>> Western Wake.

Avg Price: $578K vs $430K. Avg Price/sqft: $257 v $158

for the rank and file that are moving to town, Western Wake makes more sense from commute to RTP and the holy grail of Greatschools. Their budgets and mindsets (newer bigger home) by and large don't match the ITB market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or