U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 01:46 PM

194 posts, read 322,737 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 02:52 PM

2,680 posts, read 3,151,214 times
Where do you live? People may be able to help find someone close to you.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Apex/Cary/Holly Springs area would be ideal, but in reality we would be willing to try anywhere in the triangle.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:25 PM

5,437 posts, read 15,617,383 times
We go to Jeffers Mann and Artman. They are located behind the Waverly Place shopping center in Cary, at the intersection of Kildaire Farm and Tryon.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:27 PM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
You should really see a psychiatrist for pediatric ADHD. The drugs work on the brain and not something to fool around with. You need someone who "knows" the brain to oversee the meds, at least in the beginning. I would recommend FPPA over by Regency, Family Psychiatry and Psychology Associates. A regular pediatrician is simply not equipped to deal with the potential side effects that may occur and why Drug A may work better than Drug B, etc. When my son took ADHD meds we have some really bad side effects with one drug.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 PM

2,632 posts, read 2,853,238 times
Sarah Bryce, a psychiatrist in Durham.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:38 AM
ERH

1,250 posts, read 1,719,595 times
We like Kelly Schofield, also in Durham. He's been great with our teen!

Old 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You should really see a psychiatrist for pediatric ADHD. The drugs work on the brain and not something to fool around with. You need someone who "knows" the brain to oversee the meds, at least in the beginning. I would recommend FPPA over by Regency, Family Psychiatry and Psychology Associates. A regular pediatrician is simply not equipped to deal with the potential side effects that may occur and why Drug A may work better than Drug B, etc. When my son took ADHD meds we have some really bad side effects with one drug.
I actually agree with your logic completely, but we have had a poor experience with both a psychiatrist and a clinic psychologist. We went that route for several months and the behavior and symptoms seemed to amplify and become more pronounced.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:51 AM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
I'm talking about to prescribe and oversee the drugs not for therapy (obviously a psychologist can't prescribe drugs since they aren't an MD).

Old 10-10-2019, 12:29 PM

22 posts, read 8,001 times
It all depends on the medications, the patient, and the overall experience a pediatrician has in the ADHD speciality whether it would be best to see a pediatrician or psychiatrist. Personally, unless it becomes a difficult case or there are more underlying issues besides ADHD, a good pediatrician should be able to manage and prescribe medications.

I worked several years for an amazing pediatrician that specialized in ADHD and people would travel across state lines to see him. He knew more about ADHD medications and side effects than any psychiatrist in the area. Unfortunately he practiced in WA state and not in NC.

I don't know any pediatricians here in the triangle area. As you know it is so important to have a good physician with experience in ADHD along with a good support system in the school and home environment. Best of luck to you and your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or