U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 PM

38 posts, read 31,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Just what I was thinking! Love Raleigh but this area is much less congested, has just about everything you would need, and is more affordable. Better get here quick, though, as prices are rising!
We love both Spartanburg and Greenville. Have been to both within the last two years. Love the downtown of Greenville. We walked around quite a bit and found all the hidden mice statues.

Might also look into area NE of Atlanta (Gainesville, Cleveland, etc...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 06:14 AM

49 posts, read 41,645 times
Maybe also take a look at Winston Salem. My stepson and his family live there and love it. There are some really pretty areas around it, large medical center with good health care, fairly new sports complex, and it's close to the mountains.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:56 AM

8,786 posts, read 6,577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo459sx View Post
I appreciate your honesty. We can afford a place for $350 in the growing areas, but don't want that. Perhaps I'd like to believe that Clayton will be immune, but probably wont.
It won't be immune, but enough people move out there because they want more space, and buy that space, that you won't have the density you have in the western part of the county, which is desirable due to proximity to lots of employers.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:58 PM

101 posts, read 61,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Now retired, I feel absolutely no draw to the area. IMHO, it's not a pretty area, and apart from a section of road here and there, or rare perspective I find it very bland - a replicating sameness.
Respectfully disagree. The area is lush, green, full of trees and lakes. Urban living mixed with greenways, trails, and parks. This kind of stuff is taken for granted.

I moved back to the area after living in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh gets high marks for it's beauty (it is beautiful but only in a specific part of the city), but what people don't tell you is that the neighborhoods where people actually live are all concrete, houses on top of each other, little to no green space, and the houses/roads/sidewalks are all crumbling. You don't realize how nice things can be until you live somewhere else for awhile.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,242,906 times
If you want a cheap small town that's not going to change very much, nowhere near the Triangle has been that in several decades. The Triad, as others have pointed out, might be closer to that as many local industries (e.g., furniture) have declined. Have you considered other slower-growing parts of the country, like the Midwest? Lots of small colleges and hospitals, very inexpensive houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo459sx View Post
we see more growth and traffic (what we are trying to get away from). I can see this area continuing to grow and become congested very easily
No man is an island. Unless you make a living off the land, you'll need to be near other people who are going to pay you to be near them, and those other people will sometimes get in your way.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:24 AM

346 posts, read 539,391 times
I live out in the county(Wake) address is Wendell which is close to Zebulon..Growth and developement on the east side of Raleigh is not nearly as intense as it is on the west side of raleigh..We're 13 miles east of Raleigh..been here 10 yrs now and it has been slow to develop and it is rreally quiet out here..
Keep in mind that if you live inside a city limit(s) then you will pay both county and city taxes...We're out of the town limits here so we just pay county taxes.
From here we can be downtown Raleigh in 20 mins..When we first moved here from NJ it was like turning the clock back 35 yrs for us...But even this area is just recently beginning to grow...NO place is immune..and no one suggested you look around the Louisburg area...nice and rural yet theres a established town and historical neighborhoods in Louisburg...Commute to Raleigh would take longer..but far less than living in Sanford or Pittboro..and forget Fayetteville...the crime rate there is much higher than Asheville..Asheville is beautiful but way too far away from the triangle..
Good luck with your search...

Old 10-19-2019, 07:53 AM

It is also interesting to note that Eastern Wake county is much less affluent than the rest of the county..thus it seems to me that it is less desireable and less developement going on here..being outside of the "Triangle". A less desireable area is just what we wanted. As I said above its very quiet here and only within the past year or so has there been any push to develop the subdivisions out here...
We live in a modular home on 1 acre and our taxes were only $600 a year.. That was before i got my senior citizen property tax rebate...which has effectively halved our property taxes per year.. Since this home is co-owned the property tax rebate only refelcts a 50% ownership..because the other owner has not yet reached 65 yrs of age...When they do(next year) we will apply again for the other 50% ownership for a tax rebate.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:56 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,065,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
It is also interesting to note that Eastern Wake county is much less affluent than the rest of the county..thus it seems to me that it is less desireable and less developement going on here..being outside of the "Triangle". A less desireable area is just what we wanted. As I said above its very quiet here and only within the past year or so has there been any push to develop the subdivisions out here...
We live in a modular home on 1 acre and our taxes were only $600 a year.. That was before i got my senior citizen property tax rebate...which has effectively halved our property taxes per year.. Since this home is co-owned the property tax rebate only refelcts a 50% ownership..because the other owner has not yet reached 65 yrs of age...When they do(next year) we will apply again for the other 50% ownership for a tax rebate.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but you can be sure that will all change once 540 is complete, and the locations closer to employment centers become completely built out. The only reason eastern Wake is still the way it is, is because people can still build/buy closer to RTP. Eastern Wake is convenient to DT Raleigh, but there just aren't enough people that work DT yet. That will likely change over the years also.

It sounds like you're of an age that you won't see much affects, so enjoy!

Old 10-19-2019, 10:47 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't want to burst your bubble, but you can be sure that will all change once 540 is complete, and the locations closer to employment centers become completely built out. The only reason eastern Wake is still the way it is, is because people can still build/buy closer to RTP. Eastern Wake is convenient to DT Raleigh, but there just aren't enough people that work DT yet. That will likely change over the years also.

This is true. If you look at the map of the finished 540 location, you can figure out which areas will grow quickly. And they will not remain the nice, green farmlands you are used to. Last week, I had to travel southbound on 540 toll to Holly Springs from west cary at 7.30am, and I was impressed with the amount of cars traveling northbound on 540 toll - this means many workers who are not concerned with paying toll to get to their workplace. Not many of us going southbound btw.

Living close to a highway is a big preference to many people.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

I'm under no false illusions here..I did say..No place is immune...but it will take about 20 years for them to finish 540...so if i am still alive then i wont care anyway..so for us this is the quietest place in Wake county..and E.Wake will develop much slower than everywhere else...bubbles nonwithstanding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or