U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 227 times

Advertisements

To the original poster - did you make any decisions here? I am very curious about your opinions of the areas in NC that you are exploring because I am in Tampa as well and considering a relocation to Raleigh for a job.

I am a Tampa native and just getting absolutely sick of the oppressive weather and the out of control development. Problem is, we have family and lifelong friends here in Tampa, so that makes it hard to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 02:35 PM

2,944 posts, read 3,611,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5allen View Post
To the original poster - did you make any decisions here? I am very curious about your opinions of the areas in NC that you are exploring because I am in Tampa as well and considering a relocation to Raleigh for a job.

I am a Tampa native and just getting absolutely sick of the oppressive weather and the out of control development. Problem is, we have family and lifelong friends here in Tampa, so that makes it hard to leave.
Anyone who moves to Raleigh to escape out-of-control development is making quite a serious mistake.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:39 PM

3,022 posts, read 4,307,289 times
Angier/Lillington. Close to Campbell, close to Fayetteville, new hospital, small town feel, walkable downtowns. And you just might get that acre for $250K.

Only 30 minutes from d/t Raleigh.

Hardly any alligators.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:19 PM

5,037 posts, read 8,026,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
Look what over-excites some here - shopping at supermarkets for cripes sake.
LOL, I'm closer to Charlotte, but this is something I've noticed also. You would think the arrival of a Trader Joes or Whole Foods was some life-affirming, earth shattering event

Old 10-31-2019, 06:20 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,360,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
You could definitely get a property and setting more your speed with a commute of under 40 minutes to UNC. This is possible in eastern Chatham, Northern/Western Orange, and Eastern Alamance counties.
Everyone always defaults to Southern Wake I guess because it's the most central to the bulk of the Triangle.

But if you can stand living a rural, not yet sophisticated county then Franklin County should be considered.

It's 25 minutes from Louisburg to Raleigh now, and in 5-7 years with a 4-landed US401 the drive will be even quicker.

This corner of the Triangle is the slowest growing, but I-540 makes the airport and points West easy to reach.

One note about I-540 fueling growth.

The northern section is quite close in to Raleigh proper and aside from Capital Blvd, I can't see how it has led to a lot of new growth. But maybe the Falls Lake Watershed is why.

The southern half of I-540 is much further out from Raleigh Proper, so my point is that the Northern half would have spurred more growth since its closer in and it hasn't.

So I don't think that the Southern half is going to lead to runaway growth for a long time.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:27 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,360,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
I'm under no false illusions here..I did say..No place is immune...but it will take about 20 years for them to finish 540...so if i am still alive then i wont care anyway..so for us this is the quietest place in Wake county..and E.Wake will develop much slower than everywhere else...bubbles nonwithstanding...
I may be wrong, but I think 540 unbuilt extents are broken into only two more sections:

From 55 to I-40, and finally up to I-87.

The section to I-40 is funded and will commence next year and be complete about 3-4 years after that.

Because it's tolled the borrowed money is quickly available.

I predict 12 years at the most for the loop to be completed.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:49 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,654,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Anyone who moves to Raleigh to escape out-of-control development is making quite a serious mistake.
I would agree. Everywhere you look all you see are ugly row houses, apartments and town homes. There are not may developments that have large lots and mature trees. The jobs are plentiful and pay is great. Weather is also hot from May 15 to Oct 1 so don't think you are escaping any type of heat. I would move up north however taxes are way too high and not a great job market in say PA.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:51 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,654,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
LOL, I'm closer to Charlotte, but this is something I've noticed also. You would think the arrival of a Trader Joes or Whole Foods was some life-affirming, earth shattering event
Remember the folks camping out at Wegmans. Ha Ha. Like it was some one day event and the store was closing forever.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:27 AM

191 posts, read 224,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post
Weather is also hot from May 15 to Oct 1 so don't think you are escaping any type of heat.

While it can get hot, it's not Tampa-hot. That horribleness I grew up in is just really high humidity with twice the amount of rain combined with triple-digit heat day after day. I remember too well opening my front door with the crackling sound of a freezer door, yet instead walking into a hot soup where you immediately sweat. The horror!

I laugh at this heat. It's never too hot here IMO.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:51 AM

5,814 posts, read 3,577,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5allen View Post

From their posting history, it looks like they are now focusing on either Cleveland, GA or Gainesville, GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or