Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 04:06 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
If you don’t HAVE to be within 30-40 min of Raleigh, I’d suggest heading a bit northwest and check out Mebane, Efland and Graham. Smaller towns, affordable. Decent schools. Your wife can easily commute to Duke or UNC.

Mebane is growing, too, but not nearly like the Triangle is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo459sx View Post
I appreciate it very much! added for tomorrow.
Pack snacks and drinks, because you are going to cover some ground, for sure. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 06:53 AM

703 posts, read 780,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Chatham Park will change Pittsboro drastically.

I think y’all should look around Winston-Salem. Good hospitals there. Several colleges.

[/url]
I would also suggest Greensboro and Kernersville.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:01 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
OP wants to be near Fayettville.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:41 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
I would also suggest Greensboro and Kernersville.
Yup I was going to suggest this area too, and second the suggestion of Winston-Salem and Graham/Burlington/Mebane.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:45 AM

385 posts, read 348,583 times
Check southern Chatham county, Moncure maybe. Not far from Pittsboro which is a nice little town. Half hour to Chapel Hill and Cary. Easy back way to Fayetteville. Not building up as fast as I40 corridor.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
OP wants to be near Fayettville.
I missed that? Was that on another thread? In this thread they just said they looked at a few places closer to Fayetteville but expressed no desire to be near Fayetteville for work or any other reason. I just took it as they were checking out the south side of the Triangle first.

If it’s the case that they need to be close to Fayetteville for some unknown reason then Pinehurst/Southern Pines, maybe Lillington, Angier...

I think the Triad is going to be a better fit for their stated wants though, but I would concentrate on W-S. Just came through a heckuva lot of rush hour traffic around Greensboro yesterday. I would look on the north side of the Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) for more land, slower pace, a little bit better traffic. 85 and 40 can be pretty hairy. Lots of universities and hospitals in the Triad.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-12-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-12-2019, 11:06 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I missed that? Was that on another thread? In this thread they just said they looked at a few places closer to Fayetteville but expressed no desire to be near Fayetteville for work or any other reason. I just took it as they were checking out the south side of the Triangle first.

If it’s the case that they need to be close to Fayetteville for some unknown reason then Pinehurst/Southern Pines, maybe Lillington, Angier...

I think the Triad is going to be a better fit for their stated wants though, but I would concentrate on W-S. Just came through a heckuva lot of rush hour traffic around Greensboro yesterday. I would look on the north side of the Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) for more land, slower pace, a little bit better traffic. 85 and 40 can be pretty hairy. Lots of universities and hospitals in the Triad.
You're right...I misread.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:49 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Dang....hope OP gets good gas mileage with the territory they are covering today!

Old 10-12-2019, 11:58 AM

634 posts, read 913,056 times
I moved to this area over 25 years ago, primarily related to a job.

Now retired, I feel absolutely no draw to the area. IMHO, it's not a pretty area, and apart from a section of road here and there, or rare perspective I find it very bland - a replicating sameness.

Yes it's likely your primary investment, your house, will grow value here, but so will taxes, sprawl, crowding, etc. They go hand in hand, I think. Look what over-excites some here - shopping at supermarkets for cripes sake.

If you're lucky enough that you wife can find employment almost anywhere, and you're willing to accept a Community College salary (58 in NC alone), as others have suggested I'd look northwest.

(yes, I'm looking elsewhere)

Last edited by ncdust; 10-12-2019 at 12:18 PM..

Old 10-12-2019, 12:08 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
first off, good luck with all the driving you've noted today. Just trying to look in mentioned areas west of the Triangle/Wake County is a full day ... I guess you're headed to Charlotte afterward?

For the Clayton and Garner area, here's the best 540 map to use - it's from the DOT and it shows you the exits. https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA...dphm_Index.pdf

You should expect prices to rise 10-15% over the next nearly 2 years (you've said Summer 2021). Keep that in mind. Maybe they won't, but you shouldn't be looking at $250K properties today thinking that's their price in 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary