U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2019, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times
Reputation: 8833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Ok are we talking specific people here or was he referring to a general area. I assumed general area. And I think it's not even debatable that there are certain cities that lean one way and others that lean another in the triangle and state. Direct quote from you:
Nice that you trolled through my history and dug up some old quote from another thread and pasted it here out of context w/o the link to the thread it came from. Really nice.

Since you brought up Knightdale in your response to Bo,
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's incredibly location dependent. Chapel Hill/Durham is going to be different than Knightdale.
did you know their mayor, James Roberson is a Democrat, who grew up in Wilson NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2019, 08:41 PM
 
12,425 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Reputation: 12391
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Nice that you trolled through my history and dug up some old quote from another thread and pasted it here out of context w/o the link to the thread it came from. Really nice.

Since you brought up Knightdale,

did you know their mayor, James Roberson is a Democrat, who grew up in Wilson NC?
That's not trolling that is called searching. That quote was from six months ago. It was about conservative areas here.

So you are sticking with location not being relevant? Because by calling CH an enclave you tend to contradict that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
10,621 posts, read 7,763,837 times
Reputation: 9083
I'm glad that Melton won over an old straight white male, since I voted for him as an at-large candidate.

I'm also glad that the straight white male in my district won over the incumbent white female.

Because of their positions, policies, and priorities. Not because of their "intersectional" identities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times
Reputation: 8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's not trolling that is called searching. That quote was from six months ago. It was about conservative areas here.

So you are sticking with location not being relevant? Because by calling CH an enclave you tend to contradict that.
You really went and dug up a quote from me from SIX MONTHS ago?? Sure, Chapel Hill is liberal. What does that have to do with Bo's point or your point (whatever that is)?

You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's incredibly location dependent. Chapel Hill/Durham is going to be different than Knightdale.
Maybe you could elaborate on what you meant by that? 'Cause I'm confused. I thought since you were saying Chapel Hill and Durham are liberal that you were trying to contrast Knightdale as conservative, but Knightdale has an African American Democrat mayor, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say about Knightdale. Can you clarify your meaning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 11:11 PM
 
97 posts, read 36,914 times
Reputation: 189
Yikes! You all give me a headache.

Peace, brothers and sisters.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4z397kNrfCY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2019, 10:12 AM
 
874 posts, read 612,694 times
Reputation: 740
Younger, more intersectional candidates got me to take notice of the municipal elections, but I voted based on their positions. We need to plan for smart growth in Raleigh and the city council has been stuck for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2019, 01:00 PM
 
Location: NC
7,444 posts, read 5,192,572 times
Reputation: 8181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The one exception I made on the next page was memorial and veterans days. I would add July 4th (forgot about that one).

But all social, religious, etc holidays and "month long celebrations" I don't think they should take any sort of stance on.

If people want to organize for gay pride or any other issue the government exists to allow them to do that peacefully and free from interference (first amendment).
I appreciate the response and the civil debate (sincerely), thanks. I probably agree with you on this more than not.

But (and pardon my provactive tone, forthcoming) I think that the majority of Americans will push back against what you are suggesting. That is to say, most Americans will not support making government employees work on Christmas and Easter, among other days.

But the bigger problem is with society in general, in that the majority of people think that "free from interference" is violated if the Gov't allows one group to be "not interred". It's the whole "wedding cake" issue all over again. My guess is you and I are closer on this issue that we are far, but in practice, it's a BFM (big f-bomb mess).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2019, 10:09 PM
 
12,425 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Reputation: 12391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I appreciate the response and the civil debate (sincerely), thanks. I probably agree with you on this more than not.

But (and pardon my provactive tone, forthcoming) I think that the majority of Americans will push back against what you are suggesting. That is to say, most Americans will not support making government employees work on Christmas and Easter, among other days.

But the bigger problem is with society in general, in that the majority of people think that "free from interference" is violated if the Gov't allows one group to be "not interred". It's the whole "wedding cake" issue all over again. My guess is you and I are closer on this issue that we are far, but in practice, it's a BFM (big f-bomb mess).
I'm not saying anyone should be forced to work on major religious holidays (even if there is actually very little, if any, religion left in Christmas). That is why PTO exists. What I'm saying is our government should not be picking and choosing any sides to anything. Be it religious or social in nature.

If the individual candidates want to take a side that is great and they will be judged by the public on their stance. But that should not be taken to mean that is what the government endorses. In other words, no taxpayer money should be spent any on such advocacy, unless it's to ensure that group is not denied their individual rights.

And yes I completely agree most of America will push back on this. As they go shopping on Thanksgiving and to dinner out and a movie on Christmas. They just expect everyone else to be working. The biggest joke is Labor Day...the people who are working (labor) don't get it off. Ie ME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top