U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2019, 10:42 PM
 
3,247 posts, read 4,271,659 times
Reputation: 2668

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Now if only we could get rid of the homophobic town council member in my triangle town, he voted against acknowledging pride month. Super sad because this guy is only 37 and not accepting of gays. It DID end up passing with the votes of others thankfully.
What town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2019, 11:08 PM
 
12,430 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Reputation: 12396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Now if only we could get rid of the homophobic town council member in my triangle town, he voted against acknowledging pride month. Super sad because this guy is only 37 and not accepting of gays. It DID end up passing with the votes of others thankfully.
I dunno. I don't really support government taking a stance on the subject. Our government should exist to allow people to gather and have events of their choosing but as far as taking sides on things? That is really only the job of the judicial branch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2019, 11:29 PM
 
444 posts, read 381,064 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I dunno. I don't really support government taking a stance on the subject. Our government should exist to allow people to gather and have events of their choosing but as far as taking sides on things? That is really only the job of the judicial branch.
It’s been made quite clear that he’s a Republican, so there is that...

This person got rather snippy with an African American woman on the council too and was pretty pompous about Juneteenth as well.

Honestly, to me whether the town wants to acknowledge AA month in February or Gay Pride, it’s the same difference to me. Would you have an issue with a town acknowledging an African American history month too?

Y’all means all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2019, 11:34 PM
 
444 posts, read 381,064 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
What town?
I didn’t know if I could post it here, but I messaged you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2019, 11:52 PM
 
12,430 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Reputation: 12396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
It’s been made quite clear that he’s a Republican, so there is that...

This person got rather snippy with an African American woman on the council too and was pretty pompous about Juneteenth as well.

Honestly, to me whether the town wants to acknowledge AA month in February or Gay Pride, it’s the same difference to me. Would you have an issue with a town acknowledging an African American history month too?

Y’all means all.
Well I'm not sure what their affiliation has to do with anything, I guess in your eyes it instantly makes them a racist? The party that under their leadership in congress and the WH pushed down black unemployment to never before seen levels? You're so right, those racist republicans! Always trying to keep minorities down!

Disagreeing with someone from a different race makes them a racist?

You're kind of hard to follow here and it feels like you have a chip on your shoulder.

I feel the whole "month celebration" thing is kinda a waste of time. I mean it feels more like pandering than actual meaningful...whatever it is. But it would be political suicide to strike it from the books so we're where we are now. I guess if you like getting pandered it's fine, but I just find that to be so demeaning personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 05:51 AM
 
473 posts, read 525,895 times
Reputation: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well I'm not sure what their affiliation has to do with anything, I guess in your eyes it instantly makes them a racist? The party that under their leadership in congress and the WH pushed down black unemployment to never before seen levels? You're so right, those racist republicans! Always trying to keep minorities down!

Disagreeing with someone from a different race makes them a racist?

You're kind of hard to follow here and it feels like you have a chip on your shoulder.

I feel the whole "month celebration" thing is kinda a waste of time. I mean it feels more like pandering than actual meaningful...whatever it is. But it would be political suicide to strike it from the books so we're where we are now. I guess if you like getting pandered it's fine, but I just find that to be so demeaning personally.
It's not pandering. It's acknowledging and celebrating the contributions of members of our diverse society. It's been done by town councils for decades now in proclamations to hundreds of groups and is a natural function of our democracy. You may find it demeaning, but I'd say most of us find it uplifting and refreshing to see our government leaders pay tribute to those contributing to society outside of government.

As for your comment about Republicans not being racist because "The party that under their leadership in congress and the WH pushed down black unemployment to never before seen levels?" look at the other legislation they've passed and talk to some black people about how the feel about it. It ain't just about the economy when it comes to having opinions on those in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 09:26 AM
 
444 posts, read 381,064 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
It's not pandering. It's acknowledging and celebrating the contributions of members of our diverse society. It's been done by town councils for decades now in proclamations to hundreds of groups and is a natural function of our democracy. You may find it demeaning, but I'd say most of us find it uplifting and refreshing to see our government leaders pay tribute to those contributing to society outside of government.

As for your comment about Republicans not being racist because "The party that under their leadership in congress and the WH pushed down black unemployment to never before seen levels?" look at the other legislation they've passed and talk to some black people about how the feel about it. It ain't just about the economy when it comes to having opinions on those in charge.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 09:35 AM
 
444 posts, read 381,064 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well I'm not sure what their affiliation has to do with anything, I guess in your eyes it instantly makes them a racist? The party that under their leadership in congress and the WH pushed down black unemployment to never before seen levels? You're so right, those racist republicans! Always trying to keep minorities down!

Disagreeing with someone from a different race makes them a racist?

You're kind of hard to follow here and it feels like you have a chip on your shoulder.

I feel the whole "month celebration" thing is kinda a waste of time. I mean it feels more like pandering than actual meaningful...whatever it is. But it would be political suicide to strike it from the books so we're where we are now. I guess if you like getting pandered it's fine, but I just find that to be so demeaning personally.
Actually, I DO NOT have a chip on my shoulder. I have been fortunate to live a white, heterosexual solidly middle class life and was raised to have empathy for marginalized groups of people. Additionally, I have a close gay friend and also an uncle that has lived with his partner for 37 years. Until 2016, our society was generally moving forward and making small steps with inclusivity in our society.

So yes, it does bother me that someone representing ME in my town would vote against a pride month proclamation.

The comment about the AA month was hypothetical.

My spouse and I will be voting, if anything 2016 has made me aware of how important that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 10:21 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 2,853,238 times
Reputation: 2222
I don't care what their sexual preferences are. I just hope that they do a good job on Council. The City is in a delicate time, in terms of defining its next 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 10:36 AM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
1,533 posts, read 1,907,266 times
Reputation: 2602
I find it interesting that one expresses their sexual orientation...must be an approval thang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top