U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2019, 10:38 AM
 
2,379 posts, read 2,505,865 times
Reputation: 3439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I don't care what their sexual preferences are. I just hope that they do a good job on Council. The City is in a delicate time, in terms of defining its next 25 years.
I know you are talking about a specific town and council, but your words should also be heeded in a broader sense across the entire country.

Do the JOB, who cares what your sexual preference might be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2019, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
4,740 posts, read 3,145,823 times
Reputation: 3235
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I know you are talking about a specific town and council, but your words should also be heeded in a broader sense across the entire country.

Do the JOB, who cares what your sexual preference might be!
A job that they get paid $23K to do......but that's another discussion for another day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
10,625 posts, read 7,763,837 times
Reputation: 9084
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I don't care what their sexual preferences are. I just hope that they do a good job on Council. The City is in a delicate time, in terms of defining its next 25 years.
this. and I'm generally a Republican. Of course, at the municipal level it's meaningless these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
6,163 posts, read 2,968,702 times
Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
District D? Oh the irony!

But seriously good for them.

But, what police reform is needed in Raleigh? And the first guy has never held a W2 employee or as an employer. They were all either government type jobs or campaign jobs.

I'm curious how he thinks he is qualified to state the things he says, specifically about small business and housing.

Reminds me of a certain someone in NY elected as a congresswoman.
Good for me run raleigh into the ground so people stop moving in. Congrats to them , never understood why sexuality mattered ... I don’t think it made a difference whether they were or were not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Lizard Lick, NC
6,163 posts, read 2,968,702 times
Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
It’s been made quite clear that he’s a Republican, so there is that...

This person got rather snippy with an African American woman on the council too and was pretty pompous about Juneteenth as well.

Honestly, to me whether the town wants to acknowledge AA month in February or Gay Pride, it’s the same difference to me. Would you have an issue with a town acknowledging an African American history month too?

Y’all means all.
Got snippy with an African American woman ? Lol get a life if that’s what you see as something bad ... it’s politics people get emotional stop inserting your stupid logic into a basic political interaction. Also what does him being republican do , good bad ? Does it matter , local politics are relatively non partisan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 05:13 PM
 
12,430 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Reputation: 12396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
It's not pandering. It's acknowledging and celebrating the contributions of members of our diverse society. It's been done by town councils for decades now in proclamations to hundreds of groups and is a natural function of our democracy. You may find it demeaning, but I'd say most of us find it uplifting and refreshing to see our government leaders pay tribute to those contributing to society outside of government.

As for your comment about Republicans not being racist because "The party that under their leadership in congress and the WH pushed down black unemployment to never before seen levels?" look at the other legislation they've passed and talk to some black people about how the feel about it. It ain't just about the economy when it comes to having opinions on those in charge.
Did you know the President who first recognized black history month was a republican? #history

So we need to congratulate specific groups for contributing to society now? Where I come from that's called being an upstanding citizen, and we don't receive trophies for it. Definitely a different world...

You find gratification in government leaders telling you you're doing a good job? You realize that is literally the definition of pandering, right?

Last edited by wheelsup; 10-12-2019 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 05:19 PM
 
12,430 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Reputation: 12396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Actually, I DO NOT have a chip on my shoulder. I have been fortunate to live a white, heterosexual solidly middle class life and was raised to have empathy for marginalized groups of people. Additionally, I have a close gay friend and also an uncle that has lived with his partner for 37 years. Until 2016, our society was generally moving forward and making small steps with inclusivity in our society.

So yes, it does bother me that someone representing ME in my town would vote against a pride month proclamation.

The comment about the AA month was hypothetical.

My spouse and I will be voting, if anything 2016 has made me aware of how important that is.
Maybe he wasn't voting against pride month. Maybe he was voting against including government in the discussion?

Was this Henderson by chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 PM
 
473 posts, read 525,895 times
Reputation: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Did you know the President who first recognized black history month was a republican? #history

So we need to congratulate specific groups for contributing to society now? Where I come from that's called being an upstanding citizen, and we don't receive trophies for it. Definitely a different world...

You find gratification in government leaders telling you you're doing a good job? You realize that is literally the definition of pandering, right?
Ah, the good old fashioned "what aboutism" approach when you can't deny a present fact so that something happened in the past. Yes, Republicans way back when used to be more pro-civil rights to blacks than they are nowadays. That hasn't been the case in decades though, as anyone familiar with politics since the 1960s would know. #history

I don't know nor care when you came from, but honoring specific groups of people for their contributions to society have been a part of the fabric of the town boards and councils here in the Triangles for decades. What you call "pandering" is what the rest of us call recognition and celebration of diversity, and we don't get our panties into a wad over it. In fact, many believe this is one of the reasons while the Triangle is booming with newcomers.

You're obviously a grumpy middle-aged or older straight white guy upset with progress like two gay members on the Raleigh City Council. You're entitled to your opinion, but I'd recommend you get some professional help if this anger consumes so much, because buddy, this is the future, whether you like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 07:29 PM
 
12,430 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Reputation: 12396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Ah, the good old fashioned "what aboutism" approach when you can't deny a present fact so that something happened in the past. Yes, Republicans way back when used to be more pro-civil rights to blacks than they are nowadays. That hasn't been the case in decades though, as anyone familiar with politics since the 1960s would know. #history

I don't know nor care when you came from, but honoring specific groups of people for their contributions to society have been a part of the fabric of the town boards and councils here in the Triangles for decades. What you call "pandering" is what the rest of us call recognition and celebration of diversity, and we don't get our panties into a wad over it. In fact, many believe this is one of the reasons while the Triangle is booming with newcomers.

You're obviously a grumpy middle-aged or older straight white guy upset with progress like two gay members on the Raleigh City Council. You're entitled to your opinion, but I'd recommend you get some professional help if this anger consumes so much, because buddy, this is the future, whether you like it or not.
Ford was President when Black History month was first observed in 1976, not the 60's. #history

You spoke of recent legislation the republicans passed that has been anti-black. I really have no way of searching for "anti black republican legislation". Can you provide some examples, please? I am genuinely interested.

I'm a millennial, who works in an extremely high % gay industry. Like pretty much all males are gay high %. And most are super cool, I like to hang with them more than the drama queen women!!

It's just a philosophical difference in opinion. You feel various groups receiving praise for "contributing to society" should be a function of government. I do not*. That doesn't make me racist, or middle aged, or anti-gay, or an ahole.

If you have to call out diversity, isn't that really kinda racist in a backwards way? By that I mean, I would think most minorities just want to be treated like whites are, that is, like a person, without being treated "special".

I'm not upset about the council members sexual orientation. As I stated in my first post, I'm curious as to their background to make them qualified to say the things they are wanting to do and spend taxpayer monies.

*the one exception I make is memorial and veterans days.

Last edited by wheelsup; 10-12-2019 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 08:13 PM
 
473 posts, read 525,895 times
Reputation: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Ford was President when Black History month was first observed in 1976, not the 60's. #history

You spoke of recent legislation the republicans passed that has been anti-black. I really have no way of searching for "anti black republican legislation". Can you provide some examples, please? I am genuinely interested.

I'm a millennial, who works in an extremely high % gay industry. Like pretty much all males are gay high %. And most are super cool, I like to hang with them more than the drama queen women!!

It's just a philosophical difference in opinion. You feel various groups receiving praise for "contributing to society" should be a function of government. I do not*. That doesn't make me racist, or middle aged, or anti-gay, or an ahole.

If you have to call out diversity, isn't that really kinda racist in a backwards way? By that I mean, I would think most minorities just want to be treated like whites are, that is, like a person, without being treated "special".

I'm not upset about the council members sexual orientation. As I stated in my first post, I'm curious as to their background to make them qualified to say the things they are wanting to do and spend taxpayer monies.

*the one exception I make is memorial and veterans days.
I can tell from these comments how "enlightened" a person you are, so I'm not going to waste my time discussing this item with you. Ramble on as much as you want in this thread and others, I'm going to move forward from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top