U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 02:41 PM

10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
The number of Catholics has almost quadrupled in the state since 1990, and according to this (written in 2014), is the dominate denomination in Wake and Orange counties.

https://www.ncdemography.org/2014/06...iation-rising/
And the number of atheists has exploded. I edited my post to add the info from City-Data. 53% non-religious vs 11% Catholic. That info is not right. Evangelicals are nearly double Catholics and Protestants are the same but again non-religious folks are far more common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 02:42 PM

772 posts, read 274,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I wasn't on the forum Friday night after 7. I checked in yesterday afternoon, and posted.

But that would have been after the discussion had sorta branched out into various tangent-ly related subtopics/themes..... or at the very least thinly veiled posts broaching on broader political discussion.

Duly noted.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
And the number of atheists has exploded. I edited my post to add the info from City-Data. 53% non-religious vs 11% Catholic. That info is not right. Evangelicals are nearly double Catholics and Protestants are the same but again non-religious folks are far more common.

Thanks for the additional stats.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:45 PM

10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times
I don’t think the Catholic bloc has a huge amount of influence on Raleigh City Council elections. Be interesting to know the percentage of LGBTQ folks straight folks.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:38 PM

874 posts, read 612,694 times
The turnout for the elections was only 13%. Pretty disappointing. I doubt anyone has an exit poll based on sexual preference, but I saw a lot of city council candidates campaigning at Pride the other week. I'm sure people in the LGBTQ+ community were paying attention.

Also I've never heard anyone refer to it as alphabet soup. That seems like a patronizing description of those identifiers.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
The turnout for the elections was only 13%. Pretty disappointing. I doubt anyone has an exit poll based on sexual preference, but I saw a lot of city council candidates campaigning at Pride the other week. I'm sure people in the LGBTQ+ community were paying attention.

Also I've never heard anyone refer to it as alphabet soup. That seems like a patronizing description of those identifiers.
That’s all it is.

“Ima put this thing down and then wonder why people choose to point it out with a whole month/week celebration”

Old 10-13-2019, 07:09 PM

12,430 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Nobody cares about what the Republican party did in the past. It's good to learn about that era in history, but it doesn't help today. Especially when the party claims that "there were good people on both sides" at an alt-right rally in VA. (Not going against the dumb President about stupid comments is the same thing).

If there are minority groups that are contributing to society, then they should be a part of government if they are qualified. Why should we only have "regular" white males in government? But I agree that there shouldn't be spaces "reserved" for minorities just because we want diversity.

Yeah sure, everyone wants to be treated like whites. But is that even possible with the stupid comments coming from DC itself? I would say the Triangle has been the best place I've lived so far where there's a good diversity of races, religions, politics and not everyone gets into each other's faces with stereotypes, etc.

Why do you think the "whole month celebration thing" is a waste of time? Does it bother you that we have an African-American history month and not a "White european history month?" Are you proud of the Triangle area for having such events such as African-American cultural celebration, Jewish-American celebration, Internation festival of Raleigh, Chinese New year, Cary Diwali?

None of your posts on this board sound like a millennial, btw.
The poster I was responding to stated republicans have passed anti-black legislation "recently". I asked to please post specifics. Instead I was told it was a waste of their time to do so.

So that was the discussion going on. They mentioned it's all been downhill since the 1960's, so that is why I even brought up the party who even recognized that group in the first place (and the year).

After looking at this poster's history it's apparent they have a huge bias and are a social justice warrior. So, really no way to discuss things like this with those types of people because they are all emotion and no logic. It was not a waste of their time, as I was genuinely interested, but it was a waste of MY time to engage them.

No it doesn't bother me that we don't have a European history month. It would come across as pandering to me if we also had one of those as well.

No I'm not "proud" of this area's government for having those "months". Why would I be? I'm not embarrassed either. I mean an entire month long "celebration"? It loses its impact quickly. It comes across as a feeble attempt to pander to collect votes and/or business from a marketing perspective. Companies (outside the target audience) participate mostly as a business opportunity.

When I was younger some buddies and I took a trip to my home town for fun to build some time. My mother met us and was "elated" to see how "diverse" my friends were. I was like..um...who cares what they look like...why do people feel the need to call this stuff out? So we have people as you say being "proud" of a government official for being pro-[insert group]. And when they do not, they are instantly labeled as racist or homophobic such as in the Henderson case. When all they were attempting to convey is they do not believe the government should take a stance in it (outside of human rights issues).

Maybe you need to examine your own stereotypes if you feel millennials need to fit a particular mold.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:39 PM

12,430 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post

Special interest groups are the new religious vote .

Old 10-13-2019, 07:44 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,291,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
My friends that are gay do not celebrate gay pride or want anything to do with alphabet soup group. They find them embarrassing. Most gay people don't fall in line with them. The alphabet soup is very vocal so they get a lot of attention. Hopefully whoever is on city council is more fiscally conservative. I didnt enjoy my taxes going up 10% and with the spending that happens that will continue to happen. Cant spend money without bringing more in.
Pretty much doubting the "gay friends" claim since you make the "alphabet soup" comment twice. Your dismissive attitude doesn't lend to your having gay friends.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:30 PM

10,625 posts, read 7,763,837 times
we need a feature that requires you to accurately fill out:

how long you've lived in the Triangle
did you graduate college, and when
what party you're registered to vote for

folks are going to look at this thread, and pull a "See? Look!" and be misled about what natives/long-time residents think and feel. And who we all are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or