U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2019, 05:19 PM
 
12,434 posts, read 22,096,740 times
Reputation: 12406

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

ETA - But I do agree, even with the small sample size seeming to represent the broader population accurately, we here are not representative of the whole lot of us.
So you spent two posts trying to disagree and then agreed.

Ok. I guess some of us have more time than others .

Socio-economic status involves job/income and education, not political affiliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2019, 05:24 PM
 
774 posts, read 275,127 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So you spent two posts trying to disagree and then agreed.

Ok. I guess some of us have more time than others .

Uhhhhh, No.

I disagree with your point that "the few" don't represent the whole. Anyway you slice it, just the handful of us that "self disclosed" clearly do represent the whole; fairly accurately I might add. It's a 30-30-40 split, just as the country and state are. Unfortunately, the I's tend to pick Coke or Pepsi (because there isn't a viable third option).

Now, would that hold up to a statistical regression analysis (which is clearly where you have moved the goal posts to)? No it wouldn't (which is why I added that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 06:24 PM
 
12,434 posts, read 22,096,740 times
Reputation: 12406
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Uhhhhh, No.

I disagree with your point that "the few" don't represent the whole. Anyway you slice it, just the handful of us that "self disclosed" clearly do represent the whole; fairly accurately I might add. It's a 30-30-40 split, just as the country and state are. Unfortunately, the I's tend to pick Coke or Pepsi (because there isn't a viable third option).

Now, would that hold up to a statistical regression analysis (which is clearly where you have moved the goal posts to)? No it wouldn't (which is why I added that).
Oh I see. My goal posts were socioeconomic status not political affinity which I stated in my post you quoted, and then went off on a tangent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
10,659 posts, read 7,769,391 times
Reputation: 9090
the reason I asked the question about "identity" is that I don't want people looking at this forum and thinking that either all "natives" (we'll say 30+ years) are backwards nor are all backwards people "natives".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 PM
 
12,434 posts, read 22,096,740 times
Reputation: 12406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the reason I asked the question about "identity" is that I don't want people looking at this forum and thinking that either all "natives" (we'll say 30+ years) are backwards nor are all backwards people "natives".
That's incredibly location dependent. Chapel Hill/Durham is going to be different than Knightdale.

Who here has exhibited "backwards" thoughts and how do you define that? Because I'm sure everyone has the same definition you do .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Carolina Shores NC
7,008 posts, read 8,347,848 times
Reputation: 5415
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the reason I asked the question about "identity" is that I don't want people looking at this forum and thinking that either all "natives" (we'll say 30+ years) are backwards nor are all backwards people "natives".
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 07:33 PM
 
919 posts, read 384,592 times
Reputation: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the reason I asked the question about "identity" is that I don't want people looking at this forum and thinking that either all "natives" (we'll say 30+ years) are backwards nor are all backwards people "natives".
Anyone who makes a blanket judgment like that (especially based on an internet forum!?) isn't worth worrying about, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,938 posts, read 11,717,223 times
Reputation: 8838
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's incredibly location dependent. Chapel Hill/Durham is going to be different than Knightdale.
Not necessarily. I am from Fayetteville originally. Live in Chapel Hill now, but didn't grow up here. My 80+ MIL grew up in that part of NC and lives in Charlotte now and she's very progressive too. Comes from a long line of progressives in Harnett County.

There are a LOT of native NC-ers built on the Roy Cooper model, from small town NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 07:59 PM
 
12,434 posts, read 22,096,740 times
Reputation: 12406
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Not necessarily. I am from Fayetteville originally. Live in Chapel Hill now, but didn't grow up here. My 80+ MIL grew up in that part of NC and lives in Charlotte now and she's very progressive too. Comes from a long line of progressives in Harnett County.

There are a LOT of native NC-ers built on the Roy Cooper model, from small town NC.
Ok are we talking specific people here or was he referring to a general area. I assumed general area. And I think it's not even debatable that there are certain cities that lean one way and others that lean another in the triangle and state. Direct quote from you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog
I live in Chapel Hill, though (and have for 30+ yrs) so I'm one to talk. It's a liberal enclave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 PM
 
774 posts, read 275,127 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Anyone who makes a blanket judgment like that (especially based on an internet forum!?) isn't worth worrying about, imo.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top