Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 02:11 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,044,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It would be nice to see an age breakdown. Many boomers and retirees are leaving the northern states. But the opposite is also true, many younger folks are flowing into northern states with better job prospects.

Speaking about the Northeast specifically, not completely the case.

There was a report out at the end of last year (I'll see if I can find it) that talked about Net Migration across the country.

Yes, College Aged and Recent Grads (which would be young people) are flowing to northern states for school/first professional jobs. Money is better (entry level analyst job in Boston pays almost twice what a teacher makes here) and jobs are more plentiful....plus it makes sense for many to stay close to where you just finished school.

But in every Northeast State (I recall the report focusing on CT and NJ), the two biggest groups leaving the Northeast were Millenials ("younger folks") who are now en masse entering the married/family/buying houses stage in life and realize how tough it is to do that in the Northeast and Boomers (retirees). I think NH was the only state with an influx of younger folks.

Off to the google machine to find the report. If I find it quick enough, Ill edit this post.

EDIT TO ADD - That was quicker than I thought. Here is the report I was referencing. Key quote I was remembering...

Quote:
Out-migration could further increase, says Vink, as more baby boomers start to retire. As it stands currently, it's not retirees who are driving the steep migration losses. Residents age 65 and over accounted for only about 8 percent of out-migration from the Northeast.

https://www.governing.com/topics/urb...ion-trend.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 07:47 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,863,391 times
I like seeing things like that, and recently saw the same article I saw 3-4 years ago which showed the migrations of people from the West and North going South, and some in the South going North, but I never saw a more recent one.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:16 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,920,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Perhaps so, but claiming there is no rural/urban divide in NC is absurd.
I meant residents of rural NC counties don’t sit around bashing the state’s metros, and in general they don’t gripe about construction and amenities being built in the metros with ostensibly some of their tax dollars.

Rural counties know they need the metros for jobs, and most veg for development and roads and connections to the metros.

I couldn’t care lsss if transplanted new residents are leery about rural NC. They haven’t learned the fierce state loyalty or what the real NC is all about and it’s place in the fabric of our nation. (the state of small towns with conscientious state agencies & stewardship),

As to the complaining about roads and funding allocation:

Yes McCrory’s changes are a wonderful improvement, but the state still has a spread-out population, and those paying gas tax all their lives, and a steep one at that, should see something for their $5-6 dollars per tank.

The rural counties aren’t on par with the metros in funding by any means, the the divisions of NCDOT all have some substantial population.

They do a good job trying to be fair in spreading limited resources across the state.

I-77 is very congested and should have been widened long ago. But with the billions spent on I-85 and I-485 you can’t have it all at one time.

I-485 is not all that busy even at rush hour. Raleigh-Durham has more red on iPhone’s map app at rush hour.

States build infrastructure to support industry. NC 54 is considered among other projects in the division 5’s top priorities but hasn’t scored well enough yet.

Raleigh will receive billions of construction in the next 4 years with I-40 getting 2 additional lanes each way to US70, the next section of I-540, and the final section of the Beltline being widened.

(I liked the Beltline better before it was widened in 1994. It used to be only 4 lanes and it was all wooded with trees, you couldn’t see anything else. It was like a racetrack, with those two lanes in each direction moving very fast (1,500 cars per lane per hour) with little room in between. Some people were scared to drive on it. I hate the new Beltline’s auxiliary lane between exits which prevents having confidence that your lane won’t abruptly end. That affects all the other lanes too by having to worry about others changing lanes all the time)

Look at Georgia’s DOT website where they are touting $11 billion of road inprovements over 20 years. They think that’s something special to be proud of. Per NCDOT website $3 billiion every year goes to new construction so 20 years = $60 billion for NC in same period) Atlanta’s freeway layout hasn’t been expanded ever since it was built in the 1960s. They aren’t studying the problems or coming up with solutions.

NC would have built 3 loops around Atlanta along with redundant alternative routes so that the interstates weren't the only option to go anywhere as is the case in Atlanta.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,631,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I meant residents of rural NC counties don’t sit around bashing the state’s metros, and in general they don’t gripe about construction and amenities being built in the metros with ostensibly some of their tax dollars.

Rural counties know they need the metros for jobs, and most veg for development and roads and connections to the metros.
I have personally heard lots of "bashing" of the state's metros by rural residents of NC, so I'll disagree with your assessment.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:39 AM

4,553 posts, read 6,377,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
well, Raleigh would need to undergo Charlottefication first.
At least Charlotte has the beginning of true mass transit and really wants to be a real city with sustainable urbanism.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:31 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,274,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Seems reasonable.
But...
This is 30 years old Census data, and what I pulled up the quickest. Shows PA with a higher rural population count.
I suspect PA has lost rural residents, considering what I know about shrinking school population in rural areas....

https://www.allcountries.org/uscensu...on_and_by.html
Well, this is only 7 years old and actually from the Census, so maybe more accurate:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...s/cb12-50.html

Quote:
Maine and Vermont were the most rural states, with 61.3 and 61.1 percent of their populations, respectively, residing in rural areas. States with the largest rural populations were Texas (3,847,522), North Carolina (3,233,727) and Pennsylvania (2,711,092).
There may be some more current data, but you can see that TX and NC both had quite a bit larger rural pops than PA back in 2012.

More info here:
https://gis-portal.data.census.gov/a...138cb014711e01

Old 11-25-2019, 11:01 PM

848 posts, read 1,116,051 times
I wish we were more like Charlotte. they started with light rail, changed their zoning rules at the same time, and the city is much more accessible for all because Charlotte planned ahead. The Triangle still thinks that rail transportation follows development. Development follows transportation. No one wants to be Atlanta, Georgia. I won't even fly through Georgia.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:31 AM

616 posts, read 548,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I wish we were more like Charlotte. they started with light rail, changed their zoning rules at the same time, and the city is much more accessible for all because Charlotte planned ahead. The Triangle still thinks that rail transportation follows development. Development follows transportation. No one wants to be Atlanta, Georgia. I won't even fly through Georgia.
But wait, Atlanta has rail transit. Matter of fact, its Heavy Rail! Oh and its 48 miles in length, with 38 stations! Look at that!

So now, I just want to know what the F you're rambling about? Oh and trust, we aren't missing your presence!

Old 11-26-2019, 07:42 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,885,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post

So now, I just want to know what the F you're rambling about? Oh and trust, we aren't missing your presence!
He's just typing to see his words published on here. Nothing to see. *yawns*

Old 11-26-2019, 08:49 AM

616 posts, read 548,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
He's just typing to see his words published on here. Nothing to see. *yawns*
I'll still wait anxiously on his enlightened response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary