U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 03:14 PM

8,786 posts, read 6,577,104 times

Advertisements

I think it's more likely it ends up looking more like the DFW Metro or Charlotte Metro instead of Atlanta. Just my .02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 09:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think it's more likely it ends up looking more like the DFW Metro or Charlotte Metro instead of Atlanta. Just my .02.
As the former is a potential move location for me job-wise, and as I have yet to visit there, is that a Bad Thing, the DFW Metro area?

Old 10-14-2019, 11:00 PM

8,786 posts, read 6,577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
As the former is a potential move location for me job-wise, and as I have yet to visit there, is that a Bad Thing, the DFW Metro area?
I haven’t lived there but when I was there for work it just seemed like a much bigger Triangle MSA. Not bad, it just “is.”

Old 10-15-2019, 09:50 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,461,124 times
Quote:
Raleigh-Durham is laid out like DFW with multiple job centers and cities fairly close to each other with an airport in the center. Fortunately for DFW they have arguably the best highway system in the country with large interstates, below grade express lanes, Toll Roads, HOV lanes and decent light rail service. On top of that grid streets allow you to get to your destination if the interstates are looking crazy with traffice/accident.

The areas are comparable for being spread out. But unlike RDU, DFW had decades to plan for growth and have always thought ahead. They were planning light rail in the 80s and finally built out in the 90s and early 2000's and most towns jumped on board. RDU has been talking about light rail since the 90's but the cities/towns/Colleges/Airport cant seem to get on the same page.

I do see RDU as more like DFW or maybe Minneapolis St. Paul verses Atlanta or even charlotte which are for the most part single node cities/metros. Sprawl is much the same across the southern and western states so that is interchangeable with many locals. RDU will have to start infilling moreso and densifying if it can get past Nimbyish neighborhoods. Also light rail will eventually need to be on the table. even if just for Raleigh to RDU and RTP and stop short of Durham. That's what Dallas did, fort worth eventually plannned their own light rail.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:53 AM

3,647 posts, read 4,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Fortunately for DFW they have arguably the best highway system in the country with large interstates, below grade express lanes, Toll Roads, HOV lanes and decent light rail service. On top of that grid streets allow you to get to your destination if the interstates are looking crazy with traffice/accident
It's been a couple years since I have driven in Dallas traffic, but I can't imagine things have improved. Almost every time I was there, traffic was horrendous on the interstates (and side roads), especially trying to go/from the airport.

Also, I would rather fly out/through ATL than DFW. I remember one time where it took us almost 30 minutes to taxi from a far runway at DFW (waiting to cross other runways) to get to the terminal. RDU is still pretty good to fly out of, often not having to wait behind another plane to take off.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:49 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
It's been a couple years since I have driven in Dallas traffic, but I can't imagine things have improved. Almost every time I was there, traffic was horrendous on the interstates (and side roads), especially trying to go/from the airport.

Also, I would rather fly out/through ATL than DFW. I remember one time where it took us almost 30 minutes to taxi from a far runway at DFW (waiting to cross other runways) to get to the terminal. RDU is still pretty good to fly out of, often not having to wait behind another plane to take off.

Is that because of the sheer size of the 2 cities? And DFW are both actual CITIES and we don't have a city here.

Because like Taynxtlvl pointed out, they sure do have a lot of highways along with mostly grid-like side streets. I never realized that until I opened up Google Maps on my phone and panned to DFW after Taynxtlvl's post.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:10 PM

116 posts, read 56,978 times
Quote:
Raleigh-Durham is laid out like DFW with multiple job centers and cities fairly close to each other with an airport in the center...The areas are comparable for being spread out. But unlike RDU, DFW had decades to plan for growth and have always thought ahead. .
It would seem to me that upon seeing the successful integration of light rail in a metro like Dallas, that smaller cities with a similar growth trajectory would realize the benefit and do the same.

But a previous poster said that because Raleigh is multi-nodal, light rail wouldn't work, expressing concerns about the possibility of higher taxes as a result.

Is it the case that Dallas is more aggressively pro-growth?

Old 10-15-2019, 04:54 PM

1,280 posts, read 887,699 times
Quote:
Raleigh-Durham is laid out like DFW with multiple job centers and cities fairly close to each other with an airport in the center. Fortunately for DFW they have arguably the best highway system in the country with large interstates, below grade express lanes, Toll Roads, HOV lanes and decent light rail service. On top of that grid streets allow you to get to your destination if the interstates are looking crazy with traffice/accident.

The areas are comparable for being spread out. But unlike RDU, DFW had decades to plan for growth and have always thought ahead. They were planning light rail in the 80s and finally built out in the 90s and early 2000's and most towns jumped on board. RDU has been talking about light rail since the 90's but the cities/towns/Colleges/Airport cant seem to get on the same page.

I do see RDU as more like DFW or maybe Minneapolis St. Paul verses Atlanta or even charlotte which are for the most part single node cities/metros. Sprawl is much the same across the southern and western states so that is interchangeable with many locals. RDU will have to start infilling moreso and densifying if it can get past Nimbyish neighborhoods. Also light rail will eventually need to be on the table. even if just for Raleigh to RDU and RTP and stop short of Durham. That's what Dallas did, fort worth eventually plannned their own light rail.
I am guessing you have not lived in the DFW area. Prior to coming here I lived in DFW and the traffic is horrendous! The freeways are not designed to carry the traffic that is there. Half the time the HOV lanes are closed or they are constantly working on them because they can't seem to get things right. I am so glad to be out of that mess of traffic!

Old 10-15-2019, 06:19 PM

917 posts, read 382,080 times
In danger? Its already happened.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:11 PM

12,428 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Quote:
We have spent roughly the last two years looking there off and on. In August and Sept we got serious and did about eight days of driving and looking there.

The first thing that comes to mind to describe it is "meh". The single best thing I can say about the area is the people are really nice.

We drove everywhere, from Ft Worth and Arlington to Irving, downtown Dallas, up to University Park, Richardson, Addison, Las Colinas, Flower Mound, Copper Canyon, Grapevine, Southlake and Trophy Club and even up to Denton.

We did not visit McKinney. Pretty much north and east is basically clear cut newer developments with zero trees and 2' between neighbors (but hey you get a 4000 sq ft house!). I know people who live there, but we personally had no interest in being that far out in huge plain vanilla looking developments. True story, a co-worker had to use a gps to find his house for six months in one of those things, as everything looked the same. Another didn't see a bird the first year they lived there!

The biggest problem we had with the area was the shear amount of people. They are everywhere. There is no way to really "get away" unless you go fairly far away from the area. It felt stifling to some degree and very overwhelming especially for my wife when driving. Have you driven there? The roads and interchanges are out of this world! Oh and the vast majority are tolled with "surge pricing".

The topography is extremely boring and uninteresting. Even the higher end neighborhoods (with entry points north of seven figures) didn't look as pretty as areas in Raleigh priced 1/3 as much. Home prices have exploded there, maybe even more than our area. The bushes they pass for trees are...again uninteresting. Oh, and there are these creepy birds that live in them and screech at all hours of the night.

I have to laugh about the public transit. No one uses it there. Yes they have some light rail and bus options, but the area is so spread out with so many job centers it's useless for most commuters. Dallas has actually seen public transit declines on its buses.

I don't mean to discourage you at all. The tax incentive there is extremely alluring. But every week I came back to Raleigh I breathed a sigh of relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary