U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 05:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,019,560 times

Advertisements

"Would like some thoughts on pros and cons of retiring to either of these areas."

Charlotte pro: more. just more of everything.
Charlotte con: more. just more of everything.
Raleigh-Durham pro: healthcare excellence.
Raleigh-Durham con: healthcare expenses.
Charlotte pro: closer to the mountains.
Charlotte con: further from the beach.
Raleigh (just reverse the two above).
finally, this is what friends and family
always say about these two....
in Charlotte, what Church you attend matters.
in Raleigh, what Country Club matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 06:53 PM

397 posts, read 159,738 times
Take your pick. As we say here, "Send your money to Charlotte and your politicians to Raleigh."

Old 10-13-2019, 07:33 PM

22 posts, read 8,001 times
We have decided to retire to the Raleigh/Durham area, mainly because of the excellent healthcare and over abundance of physicians. We also feel the airport in Raleigh has more reasonable prices for flights and it is also nearer to WA DC and some of the other NE states for short trips. I am not sure about 55+ communities, but I thought the housing cost was less with lower property taxes in the Triangle area compared to Charlotte. Charlotte seemed like it was busier in terms of traffic, but they do have more shopping. I liked the fact that Durham and Chapel Hill, among other cities, are both college towns and if a retiree is interested in continuing education classes there are various opportunities.

Just really depends on your interests and the feel you get when visiting both. I'm sure either would be acceptable communities.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:00 AM

3,826 posts, read 9,840,737 times
We moved to the Raleigh Durham area in 2008, sort as “pre-retirement”. We were looking for a warmer climate, slower pace and better cost of living. We loved the area, worked another 10 years and made wonderful friends. One huge downside for us was being > 2 hours from the beach.

In the 10 years we spent in the Triangle, the growth was incredible, it was top on every list of where is “The Best Place to Live”. Thus suburban sprawl increased, traffic increased, home prices increased, all of which you’d expect when moving to a hot area. That being said, when we did retire just over a year ago, we moved to a smaller town on the coast. Lots of retirees down here, we’re 5 min from the beach, everything we need day to day. For larger scale shopping, theater etc, we drive 30 min to Wilmington. We’re very happy here and still see our friends...they love visiting us here and it’s only a 2 hr 45 min drive.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:07 AM

143 posts, read 53,938 times
I hope to retire, or at least snowbird, to the Triangle area. I’ve been there and I like the feel.

I have never been to Charlotte, but I’ve noticed that the city ranks very low on walkability scores. A pedestrian friendly area is important to me. The Triangle area is also very car-centric, but I’ve noticed pockets that would fit the bill for me.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:42 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,439,913 times
something to read:

https://www.55places.com/north-carol...gh-durham-area

Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 AM

917 posts, read 382,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
I hope to retire, or at least snowbird, to the Triangle area. I’ve been there and I like the feel.

I have never been to Charlotte, but I’ve noticed that the city ranks very low on walkability scores. A pedestrian friendly area is important to me. The Triangle area is also very car-centric, but I’ve noticed pockets that would fit the bill for me.
Neither area is widely walkable, and both have pockets of walkability.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:34 AM

15,456 posts, read 19,663,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd say neither one... that these are places to retire FROM... not to.
The one exception is if you have close family, friends and a social circle nearby one or the other.
I'd say that's incorrect. Obviously, there are A LOT of retirees that agree. Based on the number of houses and communities that are being built, so does Del Webb and other developers of 55+ communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Where were you before going to FL?
Have you explored "reverse sno-birding" ... where you travel north for the hot/hottest months?
Umm, there's a pretty significant cost factor attached to that plan. Unaffordable, for most.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:44 AM

8,659 posts, read 12,907,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd say that's incorrect. Obviously, there are A LOT of retirees that agree. Based on the number of houses and communities that are being built, so does Del Webb and other developers of 55+ communities.
Not saying that you are incorrect, but how many of these 55 and over places are filled with people who already lived in the Triangle before retirement? Or moved here because their children lived here? I am genuinely curious. If I had to guess, I would think that people moving here cold for retirement - not knowing anyone and never having lived here - would be the smallest of the group.

My parents live outside of Philadelphia in a 55 and over, and there are a lot of those being built there, too, as there are in DC and its environs. But I don't think either of those places are necessarily retirement destinations for people who have never lived there before or don't have children there.

The coast and mountains of NC are another story. They attract a lot of retirees from other places that didn't formerly have ties to NC.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:45 AM

15,456 posts, read 19,663,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Would like some thoughts on pros and cons of retiring to either of these areas."

Charlotte pro: more. just more of everything.
Charlotte con: more. just more of everything.
Raleigh-Durham pro: healthcare excellence.
Raleigh-Durham con: healthcare expenses.
Charlotte pro: closer to the mountains.
Charlotte con: further from the beach.
Raleigh (just reverse the two above).
finally, this is what friends and family
always say about these two....
in Charlotte, what Church you attend matters.
in Raleigh, what Country Club matters.
Healthcare expenses are higher in Raleigh -Durham compared to Charlotte????? I'm any event, if you're on Medicare and have chosen your supplement wisely, it's irrelevant. They pick up the tab for almost everything.

As for what your "friends and family always say. . . " There aren't enough country clubs in the Triangle to make anybody ask which one you belong to. Hell, we live in a CC and in 7+ years, nobody has EVER asked me that. What church do you go to? You'll need to go much farther South or into the boonies of NC before that even becomes an issue.

PS if you are looking at the Del Webb in Charlotte, it's actually in South Carolina. You may want to have a look at the tax affect - I don't have any idea what that would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary