U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:46 AM

29,574 posts, read 64,074,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Based on the number of houses and communities that are being built...
The builders see a well heeled high value RE market to sell into.

I'll repeat ... absent some OTHER previously existing reason for a retiree to move TO (anywhere really)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 08:53 AM

15,456 posts, read 19,663,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Not saying that you are incorrect, but how many of these 55 and over places are filled with people who already lived in the Triangle before retirement? Or moved here because their children lived here? I am genuinely curious. If I had to guess, I would think that people moving here cold for retirement - not knowing anyone and never having lived here - would be the smallest of the group.
Based on our community, friends and acquaintances, your thoughts are reasonable, but I think incorrect. MANY move here without having kids in the area or having lived here previously. National stats would say the same.

Reasons? COL is less for many, especially those from the NE. Weather is pretty mild, and has four seasons. Heath care is GREAT. Two centers for OLLI. Taxes for many are overall reduced.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:33 PM

8,659 posts, read 12,907,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Based on our community, friends and acquaintances, your thoughts are reasonable, but I think incorrect. MANY move here without having kids in the area or having lived here previously. National stats would say the same.

Reasons? COL is less for many, especially those from the NE. Weather is pretty mild, and has four seasons. Heath care is GREAT. Two centers for OLLI. Taxes for many are overall reduced.
That's interesting. I can see good healthcare being a big draw. I know of one couple who moved here for retirement without any ties (that I know of). The others I know came here because their children are here or one because he had gone to school here and liked it. My MIL retired to Greensboro because her son lived there.

Of my parents' friends and relatives, most everyone either retired in place (NY, NJ, or PA) or snowbirded to Florida. One followed their son to Oregon, and one followed their daughter to Arizona (and her son actually lives in NC). One of their retirement friends in Florida halfbacked to the SC coast. It would be interesting to see stats.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:15 PM

18 posts, read 2,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefgold View Post
My husband and I (retirees) are planning a move from Florida (which we've found is just too hot and buggy) to North Carolina. We have visited and liked the over 55 communities in both the Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham areas and are can't decide between the two. Would like some thoughts on pros and cons of retiring to either of these areas.
I have found that Raleigh has a lot going on , different activites and the fair, but like everywhere else they have the bad areas also. I have been to durham a lot and they have the best medical care, duke hosp and I have found the people there really good. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary