Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 04:38 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I am going to have to move back to NC. I can get into the fair free now as a senior!
I knew some seniors that went to the fair every day. They waited all year for the Fair to come to town. They loved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 04:40 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I'm a Turkey Leg guy through and through, but I think I'm gonna try some other stuff this year. The N&O list is cool, but it seems a tad too conventional for the ridiculous offerings at the fair. How is the first and best-rated item a chicken-based item?!!

That's just soooo vanilla...

I wanna try the Crack in Cheese... so that's different than the stuffed leg?

And honestly, I don't think those Turkey Legs are real turkey... and if they are... then they're brined to hell with some additional substances that probably aren't fit for consumption... no way you can put turkey on direct heat for that long without a ridiculous amount of drying. If you've tried to grill one yourself without marinating and/or brining, then you know the deal.

The Turkey Legs honestly taste like ham to me... might be from all the "brining"
The Crack'N Cheese is mac'n cheese with BBQ and cracklins (crushed up pork rinds) in super thick and creamy cheese sauce.

Last year they had it served out of a waffle cone and it was delicious.

This year they are going to "stuff" a turkey leg with it.

I have heard many people say they've thought turkey legs were actually made of ham....the only problem with that is pigs don't have legs that shape. I think you are right that the turkey legs are cured heavily before they get seasoned/sauced and go on the grill.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:31 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
I attempted to go today for the lunch special but immediately regretted it. I didn’t bother parking and just left to eat at an actual restaurant.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 879 times
Does the local news stations not have a
Tent any more? We looked for them hoping to get some free stuff and maybe meet a news caster. There always used to be WRAL and WTVD there.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:32 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27581keith27581 View Post
Does the local news stations not have a
Tent any more? We looked for them hoping to get some free stuff and maybe meet a news caster. There always used to be WRAL and WTVD there.
WRAL has been saying they are there, by Dorton Arena.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:27 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
A ranking of state fair foods by the News & Observer.
Tried two of the mentioned foods yesterday
- The pimento cheese crab balls were quite good, but thought for the price their should have been three vs the two you get.
- My friend raved about the Dole Pineapple whip. A little expensive, but since they use a whole pineapple as the bowl, not extremely priced for fair food.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:21 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I have heard many people say they've thought turkey legs were actually made of ham....the only problem with that is pigs don't have legs that shape. I think you are right that the turkey legs are cured heavily before they get seasoned/sauced and go on the grill.
right... not even a wild boar has a leg that big lol

Also the inside often doesn't have the tendons in there and it often has a pinkish hue and they're waaaay bigger than store bought legs

They're good regardless lol

Old 10-23-2019, 11:41 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Anyone else unable to access the fair website to order tickets online? Is it down or is it just my computer?

Old 10-23-2019, 04:53 PM

281 posts, read 187,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Anyone else unable to access the fair website to order tickets online? Is it down or is it just my computer?
https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Old 10-23-2019, 08:08 PM

36 posts, read 30,656 times
I did the Chickenator: fried chicken fillet, bacon and cheese on a split cinnamon roll and drizzled with honey. Probably should have shared it...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary